Work and DLA ?

Options
dotty123
dotty123 Member Posts: 122
edited 26. Aug 2011, 06:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not sure what to do. I work part-time but really need to earn some more money now my son has left school and I no longer get working tax credits / child benefit... But to be honesst I know it will finish me off, I get tired enough working part-time and there isn't any more hours I can do at my work place. So it would mean looking for a job else where. I am not qualified in anything so I guess shop work will be my best choice. But with my hands so tender and my loss of strengh , I don't know how I will cope. I am not work shy, but I don't want to strain my hands anymore than needed.
I struggle at home with simple jobs, little lone in a working place... I am at my wits end.
After reading posts on here I doubt very much I would qualify for DLA and I don't want to embarrass myself and put myself through the stress of applying and being turned down.

Should I go for it or not

xx

Comments

• tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dotty,

Well I would say give it a go, even if you get the lower rate it's better than nothing.
    If you have all these problems with your hands you should stand a good chance.
    Good luck,
    Anita.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Dotty
    Dont you be put off, that is what they are trying to do, you apply and put your worst day down.
    And dont forget to keep a copy of everything you write down....very important
    Good luck with it .
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    do not fill it in your self get c a b help you val
    val
  • dotty123
    Options
    I was embarrassed to say that I have applied , Because I am not house bound and I can still walk and bend . But my hands are painful and knobbly due to the OA and I do struggle as you know. But I am so worried about being called a fraud because so many people milk the benefits and ruin for those who are in need. The OA is now in my hip and knees but I am still able to get around..
    I do work and I love work but I just can't face doing it full time as I need my power naps lol..
    I have adapted alot of things myself within the house and car and my family pull their weight more.

I had a call today from the dla, he asked me a few questions on the phone, like could i prepare food, I said no as I can't peel and prepare vegetable, I get the knife stuff and can't pull it out or chop it through.
    He asked if I can lift pots.. I said not if they are heavy.. so asked if I cooked for one and answer again... of course I can lift a small pan...
    Then asked if I struggled to get down the stairs.. I said I do in the night because our bathroom is downstairs and I am stiffened up in the night, so going down the stairs is dodgy and our stair case is so so steep ( old terrace house ) and I have fallen down them before, my leg just gave way... so he said had I room for a commode... ffs I am 43 yrs old I really don't want to use one of those.

Sorry I mislead my question, I feel guilty to ask for help.
    xx
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi Dotty

You have absolutely nothing to be embarrased or feel guilty about. I know its not easy and I put off applying for DLA for years as well but it is the best thing I have ever done. This benefit is for people with all kinds of disabilities to help them out with the extra costs that come with being disabled, its not just for housebound people. You are doing so well by still working part time but you know within yourself that you are not capable of working full time. Please try to see this as something you are entitled to and you should not feel that you cant talk about it. I hope it all goes well for you and if you get turned down at first, keep fighting as you deserve to get some help. Sending you huge hugs and loads of strength xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • dotty123
    Options
    Thank you for your advise, they can only say no and at a guess they prob will after reading some posts on here. The strangest thing happened to me yesterday I bumped into my father who I haven't seen over 15 yrs and only a few times before that.

Any yep he had OA in his hands and his fingers were all effected... Thats the first thing I noticed and not knowing my fathers medical history ! I now know where I get it from. As my 91 yr old Grandmother is brilliant for her age and has straighter fingers than me .

Well I am up early, had a bad nights sleep, all sorts going around in my head and bumping into my father has messed my head up more. Got to get ready for work now, just a few hours today :) just waiting to loosen up lol ...

Is it normal to feel drained in the mornings, feel like I've been on a 7 mile run not a nights rest.

Have a good day all

xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Dotty l am sorry l replied on your other thread :oops:

didn't realsie you had two going - l often check for threads which might have been overlooked you see :oops:

anyway let us know how you go on.

Love

Toni xx
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi Dotty,
    Always worth a try I say.
    Like you say you have nothing to lose. We tend to here about all the bad experiences people have, but people do get this benifit.
    My friend's OH gets it and I don't know why as he can certainly walk better than me.
    I've been thinking about applying myself.
    I think what is putting me off is the idea of this form that needs to be filled in. I've never seen one but I understand you can download one so will have a look.
    I have osteoporosis,fractured vertabrae, OA hip which causes pain in groin,thigh,and foot. Oh and I forgot to mention my disks are "shot to pieces" whatever that means.

I'm pleased you went for it and I wish you luck. You might get a pleasant surprise.

Keep posting May
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Good Morning Dotty

Feeling drained and washed out in the morning is quite normal for me, I dont sleep well and keep wakening up as I get sore with lying still. It takes me ages to get comfy , I toss and turn constantly. Its a wonder my husband gets any sleep at all but he sleeps right throught the night, I guess he must be used to it. I dont know how you and your Dad get on but as I lost my Dad recently I would say that it is good that you saw each other yesterday and I hope you might see more of him, life is so short. I hope you start to loosen up soon and have a good day at work followed by a great weekend. Take care xx

May, I know the DLA form is daunting but you can get help from the CAB to fill it in. Considering your health problems, I would say that you should give it a go. There are many people I know who get DLA who dont deserve it and so many other people who arent getting it but should be. Give it some thought. Have a good day xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • dotty123
    Options
    Aw thanks Jean, sorry to hear about your dad and I know what you mean life is too short, but my dad is a stranger and he has alot of bad baggage and problems and to be honest I have got enough on my plate without having to look after a old man who desserted me years ago. I wish I could put it behind me but I just can't...

Thanks for help

xx