No more typing - speech recognition software

Options
hunchmum
hunchmum Member Posts: 4
edited 27. Aug 2011, 13:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I just thought I'd share news of how easy it is to use speech recognition software to avoid painful / slow / inaccurate typing. I thought this sort of thing was not that well developed yet and would be ridiculously expensive but I bought the latest version of Dragon Naturally Speaking for £130 - I think you can get basic versions for around £80, after hearing about it from another user. This sounds like an advert but it really has transformed my working life - as a PR/writer, I am tied to a computer all day - and I thought there might be others out there struggling with their crap hands and typing. It really is easy to use and you don't have to be an IT whizz to get it to work. I was up and running in 10 minutes.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    there are a few people who use this software and have great results with it keep us informed of any problems you find using it always good to hear from some one who uses them good luck val
    it did sound bit like sales plug but will give you the benefit of the doubt
    val
  • adam0718
    adam0718 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    You can try Dictation Pro. It works well with just a few minutes of training and it is completely free. Download here: http://www.deskshare.com/dictation.aspx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I applied for DSA (disabled students allowance) because I'm starting uni. I got given Dragon but I'm not getting on with it. Training it is a nightmare. It's taking me ages to get it to understand my voice.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Glad the software helps. I have been told about this before but haven't got round to getting it yet.
    Will be interesting reading what others think too.

Juliepf x

Ps good luck with uni
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    I have tried the Dragon software and didnt get on well with it, doesnt understand me at all, maybe its the Scottish accent. I have put it aside for now as I found myself shouting at it as I was getting frustrated and my son reminded me that the computer was not deaf lol xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx