orthotics appt. what to expect?

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 1. Sep 2011, 13:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I know my left foot is starting to turn to the left (like a penguin) putting strain and pain on my ankle joint. I have an orthotic (not sure how to spell it) appointment on Tuesday so what should I be asking?

Do I wear my old battered regular trainers as I have nothing else that fits? Will these trainers be adapted?

Sorry to be a nuisance but I have no idea what to expect and don't want it to be a wasted appointment.

Love and hugs to you all....
Elizabeth x
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    not been so not talking from experiance but if they all you got that fits then they will have to do no good putting something that going to squash your feet and cause you extra pain good luck do hope it goes well val
    val
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Elizabeth, when i went for my appointment they told me to take a range of shoes and slippers that i would normally wear and then they can advise you which ones are best and see what orthortics fit in what. I my case as i work from home i wear slippers most of the time and got told off for wearing flat flip floppy types( i like that fact you can wash them) and i was told to get a more supportive pair which i do wear in the winter but i still don't like closed in slippers in the summer.
    I had my feet pressed into a box of stange dry squidgy stuff which they then send away and a pair of insoles arrived in the post but other have ready made ones adapted to them.
    They did ask me to walk down a corridor bear foot so they can see how you walk.

Tracey
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Elizabeth,

Below is my experience though Tracey's is different and it could depend on your Health Authority.

Go in your trainers.

They'll measure your feet, in the squigy stuff as Tracey says, (make sure you've washed them first and clean socks please :wink: ) and then they'll give you a catalogue to look at with different styles of shoes in. The shoes won't look as old fashioned as you think and I've see trainers in these catalogues too.

You'll select the design you like and the colour and then they'll make you a pair for you usually without soles, at first, to try in about six weeks. They'll make any adjustments and then you'll have to go in to try them again, this time with the soles on. They'll be tweaked till your happy with them, then you take them home and wear them for a few hours each day increasing the time as you go till you're really comfy in them.

You're allowed two pairs.

Hope it goes well. :grin:

Love
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I had my feet done a couple of weeks ago,feet measured then put into foam like florists foam,doctor talked me thru problems with feet and said just innersoles wouldnt suit me as the damage done by ra made the bones move about when walking and he needs to try to correct this so im having shoes made with the innersoles in them,they are rather like trainers with velcro fastenings,this is ok as i wear jeans or trousers all the time.Hope you have a good app ,theres nothing to worry about,it was all quite easy i have just got to wait until they are ready.good luck with app will be thinking of you.Mig
  • tkachev
    Lovely and thanks for the input. I will be sure to get my boyfriend to wash and spruce my feet first. I hate wearing socks so i'll give them a miss. I only seem to wear these trainers (had them since 2001 so they have changed with my feet)so if I can get new ones it will be fab. I will also take my retro Golas as these come dancing with me. For some reason they are comfy as they are though so might not need any changing.

Thankyou all

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Elizabeth,

Hey it sounds like it might really help you flowwer. Shall sneak into your pocket for 2 reasons.... one the normal and the other to be nosey :wink: Good luck and I hope it rally helps you. Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,395
    Oooh!

Elizabeth that sounds really good....reading Legs' post....can l come too??

Hope they sort you out some fantastic shoes and your poor ankles get the support they need.

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    Feet are washed so I am ready to go.....just need to charge up my phone!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    Let us know how you go on E. Your feet smell lovely ....................now! :wink::lol::lol::lol:

XX
    Love, Legs x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,922
    Hi Elizabeth
    i've had that done your feet will feel so good when its all done.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tkachev
    well the whirlwind family turned up with 10 mins to go so by the time they had unloaded, taken off shoes, jumped on the trampoline, been persuaded to put shoes back on and driven away as parked over our drive we were running late!

Okay I am getting an ankle support with a follow up review appointment to see if it helps. I think the fact I am due a triple fusion (no def date yet) and a THR on the same side is clouding the issue.
    There were temperature issues, and my foot is collapsing so he wasn't too sure if the support would work but is going to try it anyway.

sadly my feet never smell very lovely due to my dying trainers!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Well your situation has impressed that spammer for sure - he was so ecxcited he couldn't even post in English!

I am glad to hear that you have had some sort of an outcome, tkachev, not having been thro such a thing myself I wasn't sure what would happen, but it sounds as tho it was helpful rather than not. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    Do you think it was the Russian name that attracted him? :lol:

I often get messages on my E mail in Czech or Russian. They must think I'm one of them!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    tkachev wrote:
    I think the fact I am due a triple fusion (no def date yet) and a THR on the same side is clouding the issue.
    Elizabeth

I think so too, Elizabeth. After every replacement joint op I've needed new surgical shoes as they alter your whole gait so they're probably thinking it's better to wait.

I hope the support will help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    My feet are never fragrant either E .............I'm so glad they're a long way from my nose. Mine are pooey though because I can't move my toes and they're tightly packed so they can't be dried after showering so it's the evil that dwells between them :roll:

You should talk to them about your difficulty buying conventional shoes next time you go and see what they say.

Love
    Love, Legs x
  • tkachev
    Hi Linda
    I always tell them and they never seem bothered. I assume they have no answers!

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    They should have answers, Elizabeth. I first had to take to surgical shoes about 40 years ago when it was that or nothing. Now they can do the special insoles and also a range of not exactly made to measure shoes but ones which more easily accommodate and correct 'difficult' feet.

I do think they're waiting until after your op(s?) though but if that's too long and you have further problems just get back to them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright