Midfoot Fusion Surgery. Injections afterwards?? + OT?

Options
sailrib
sailrib Member Posts: 327
edited 28. Aug 2011, 11:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi.

I had my pre op appointment last week ready for my midfoot fusion surgery next month.

I am deaf and I did not quite catch everything. My surgeon said something about injecting something in to my leg for 6 weeks? Do you know what this is and why?

I have an OT coming round my house in 2 weeks. Do you know what they do? Have not heard of them before.

Thank you. Am getting nervous now as I have been waiting over a year for this operation and now I know it will go ahead.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sailrib,

Glad the pre-op went ok and the jabs are more likely to be the ones that are to prevent blood clots I think.

You let us know when you go in and we will do the pocket duty thing so you will know your not alone.

Try not to get too nervous and think after ward how much pain will be gone. Let us know when you get the actual date. Cris x
  • sailrib
    Options
    I go into hospital on the 14th Sept ready for the operation on the 15th Sept.

Im really nervous because I am having my left foot done which has way more less damage then my right foot has.

They can not understand why I am in more pain on my left then my right. They said to me, it may not stop the pain! Totally confused as they are stapling the joints which are damaged.

Worried I will wake up and find out I am in pain still (after the leg block has worn off). I have this feeling I wont, but because my surgeon has said it, I am not worried!

Thank you.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If your right foot is the worst affected then that will alter the way you walk which is a possible reason why the left is hurting more: I reckon those of us who do walk a little skew-whiff will always have more pain on our 'better' sides. The post-surgery jabs do sound like heparin ones, they are meant to prevent DVT etc. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sailrib
    Options
    Thanks for that.

This is a weird question but can not find it on google.

When you move your big toe up and down, does your midfoot joints move or is it just the ligament?

Thank you.
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi Sailrib

Glad your pre-op went well. The OT comes to your house to see if you need any aids or things adapted for your discharge from hospital so that you can manage during your recovery. They are usually very nice and helpful and can give you advice on things to do to manage well following your surgery. I totally understand that you are nervous, I am going into hospital on Thursday to have a bi-lateral THR on Friday and I am really uptight about it. I will be in your pocket for your Op and should have no problems climbing in as I will have brand new hips. Hope you have a great weekend xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You will have to ask your surgeon that one, I suspect - we know a deal of stuff on here about anatomy etc but not the fine detail. :smile: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben