CONFIRMED RA....

ailsarobby
ailsarobby Member Posts: 63
edited 29. Aug 2011, 04:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
hiya ev1 hope you are all fighting pain and have lots of pain free days....seen rheumy 3 weeks ago ..confirmed RA...hands and feet the worst hit..been put on Prednisolone 5mg 2 daily and Sulfasalazine 500mg started on 1 tab worked up to 2 x 2 daily...along with the other meds im on..tramadol..omeprexole..gabapentin amitriptylkine.thyroxine n pharmasist told me to take up to 8 paraetamol also....just wondered how how I'm going to cope with all these meds.....good job I cant moved fast cause I would most certainly be rattling from head to toe....Is this to be my life now??? Ive spent the last 10 years dishing out meds to the old .ill. and infirmed..god how the tide as turned..I am finding it hard to come to terms with this **** illness and I cant stasnd the fact that I have to ask my family for help when I have always been the one doing the help for others..I couldn't even clean the freezer out today without sweating like a pig ,nearly passing out and keep dropping the spatula I was using ..aaaaggghhh so bleap bleap bleap frustrating...how do you lovely understanding guys get on and what keeps you going from day to day...I have been struggling now for the last year n half and I dont ever think I am going to come to terms with it....I am so bloody angry my life as been cut off from the things I long to do....my dream was to treck the paths of Nepal...now I cant even get up stairs infact I cant even get out of bed some mornings...sorry to have this little rant...I was only giving an update n say hello...oooppps...must be the meds....lol :lol:

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi some of the meds take 12 weeks to kick in your life is not ove.
    r i have inflimation arthiritus (well that what they call it when not sure which you have) had almost same symptoms as you and was at very low ebb was napping before going work at 1pm and only do 4 hours, but some days was in tears by time got home. head was in bad place by time admitted to gp just how bad things were, it felt as if i admited it and said the words out load i had failed some how but she sent me to rhummy took to visits as no swelling when went but he put me on meds that did help when they kicked in life was so much easyer. i still do to much and have to balance life what i need to do want to do what i can put off. but when you get the right meds life is so different we are here for you till then so just ask.
    i used to use hair dryer to defrost freezer just make sure you keep it well back from water . val
    val
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I was diagnosed last sept after years going to gp and trying diferent meds,he finally decided to send me to rhummy clinic where theyconfirmed ra, imediate thought were why me in the end i thought this is me from now on just get on with it,so i gave myself a good talking to.
    My hubby and i are both retired so we dont have work problems to cope with and yes going out can be a problem my hands and feet are most affected,still struggle with day to day things but meds are kicking in after trying others fingers crossed they will be the ones.dont let it bother you to ask for help and accept help when offered it,i dont think any of us fully accept this **** illness we just live with it.
    One of the best things i did was in finding this web site where others know what you are going through and you can rant and rave all you like just to get things off your chest.Hope things start to improve soon .Hugs(((())))Mig.
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi... I am still fairly new to this inflammatory arthritis lark myself and a pain in the **** it is..lol
    It can be a very hard at times.. and sometimes it can be good.. kind of like taking the rough with the smooth lol..
    No-one is perfect and we all have our rock bottom days, and like you say it is trying to get yaself back up that can be the problem..
    I find my kids are the ones that keep me going, they give me the inner strength to keep going..i dread to imagine how i would be without them..
    Also this forum has been a great support too as i am able to share how i am feeling and when people actually say i understand you know that they mean it..Talking about the good and the bad with others on here really helps..
    Thinking of you..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I realised a few years ago that asking for help is not defeatist, or shaming, it means I can last longer when doing the things that I can still do. I solved the freezer thing by getting an auto-defrost when our old fridge-freezer packed up, prior to that as I couldn't kneel defrosting meant a hair dryer on full-blast hot and loads of newspaper to mop up. You find ways around things: if something particularly strenuous is on the horizon (for me today it was the ironing as the hands and shoulders are playing up, in addition to the usual suspects) then consider pre-loading with the dullers. Pace yourself with tasks, rest as often as you can, you will find ways to adapt, prioritise and succeed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ailsarobby
    ailsarobby Member Posts: 63
    woke up this morning not feeling to well. got a rash from head to toe must be the sulfasaline tabs anybody else been on these tabs ..if so what was your side effects ,,if any ???should I be worried about the rash ?? :???:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hiya Ailsa, sorry to read about the diagnosis. I completely understand and sympathise on how you feel about everything. Meds have helped improve things for me so it is a love/hate relationship.

I do hope you start to see an improvement soon.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Hi,

Firstly you should contact the hospital about the rash straight away.

Now as for the acceptance of this awful disease, I don't think anyone really accepts it at all. Some take longer than others to come to some kind of acceptance, I don't think I have really even though have got rid of most of my heels etc. This disease does stop you doing some things and changing others but you have to work around it the best you can. Ask for help and don't feel embarrassed or ashamed about it, rest if you need to, talk to people, try and get stuff that will help OXO good gripsmand stuff. I had to change all the taps in my house and even have an automatic car and believe me I really do have my down days. I teach and love my job with a passion but had to go to three days a week because of arthritis but now try to take the stance that it won't beat me.

I hope that they get your meds right it really is the key if they can find the right med for you, very much trial and error until they findnthe right one. Hopefully when that's sorted you will be able to do more things that you always liked. Feel free to scream, cry, rant and rave on the forum anytime we all know how you feel (you will see that if you read my posts). Xx. :grin:
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi
    Sorry I cant help , but I just want to add my support, and if talking to us lots helps....then you carry on, I am a great believer in getting things off your chest.
    I wish you well with your treatment.
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,396
    To be honest your post was a total mixture of upbeat and panic...sounded like me when they rheumatologist started treating me and l was believed!!!

Having said that...you MUST check out the rash...pharmacist/NHS direct TODAY if you haven't.

Then onwards and upwards....you do learn to adapt...rest before doing something take your painkillers in preparation for activity....find easier ways of doing things etc. You will adapt you will.

As Val l think said and others....you do think life is over, but it wont always be this way...once the meds kick in (the sulfa or whatever ultimately works for you) you will get your life back. It might not be exactly the same as before, but it will be ok :smile: .

Keep posting while you get your head round this...oh and the number of tablets!!! That should ease too..once the DMRADs (sulfa) gain control which can take weeks/months even...you will cut back on teh pain meds and also they wont want you on the steroids for long if possible so there is LOTS of hope :grin:

Hugs

Toni xx