Intro

alisonsomerset
alisonsomerset Member Posts: 6
edited 7. Sep 2011, 11:24 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, retired last year, when to the gym for 6 months to get fit, then struggled with running and had severe pains in my legs. Now can hardly walk. It seemed to happen over night but obviously must have been around for years. X-ray showed moderate osteoarthritis in both hips and lower spine. I am only 60 and want to get my life back. I continue low impact exercises at the gym and do exercises at home which do help and reduce my need for pain killers which I hate taking. I am seeing a consultant on Tuesday so we will see where we go from there. It would be good to share and have mutual support with any one in a similar situation as although I have a supportive husband and good friends I feel I am getting to be an Arthritis bore!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, it's nice to meet you although I am sorry you have had to find us. The exercising is good as that keeps the muscles in good shape and as they support the joints that can only be a good thing. Don't be afraid of the dullers, do take them when needed as they do make a difference and they can mean that you can achieve more - and that is important. I have an inflammatory version of this dross as well as OA, I am into my fifteenth year of it and no, it ain't fun, but there is a good bunch of people on here and we will do our best to help. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Alison,

Welcome to the forum..
    I have OA and inflammatory arthritis and like you mine came on really quick and i have had to learn to adapt quite quickly..It can be very hard but the forum is great place for talking to others, people that actually understand..
    Your head can be a whirlwind of emotions, don't be afraid to ask questions..
    Look forward to seeing you around
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Alison

It is good to meet you.

Sorry to hear about your OA oddly enough my inflammatory became obvious to me when l tried swimming again. Both knees ankles and hips swelled up and l only did a couple of lengths. I go regularly now and have had no further incidents l can 'blame' on the pool!!

I hope you get some useful advice from the consultant and can l wish you good luck for tomorrow do let us know how you get on and l hope to see you posting in the future
    Love

toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Alison

Welcome to the forum. You say your xrays show moderate OA. By this I understand it to relate to the amount of damage, not the amount of pain you are experiencing. It really depends on where it is, if it is agitating a nerve, mild damage could cause major pain. Likewise sometimes severe damage causes no pain.

I do hope that your appointment on Tuesday goes well. Do let us know how you go on.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.