Sorry, Bank holiday but need advice.

Options
kellerman
kellerman Member Posts: 741
edited 2. Sep 2011, 03:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning all,
All day yesterday and again today pain in lower back,not had this before,well not this bad where I can't straiten up and tablets, Coco and Naproxen not even taking the edge off it.
I also have a temperature.
My GP told me I had OA last time I spoke to him but how does he know.
I've had no blood tests, in fact no tests of any kind only MRI on thoratic back because of fractured vertabrae. I do have osteoporosis.
My appointment with rheumy isn't till end of October. 1st appointment.
I didn't think you got a temperature with OA,but I am probably wrong.
Going to a wedding on Wednesday so hope this improves.
Sorry, I always seem to be moaning.
Does anyone else have a temp with OA.
May

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi May

you can't choose not to be ill on a bank holiday can you?

Ok...l too have had a fractured vertebrae!! wow a friend!! (sorry being silly) Also had a couple of discs out of place at the time and had surgery.

But you sound well-rough :sad: First of all you will feel better if you can get that temperature down....but make a note of it...today don't forget (I always do!). If you are not on co-codamol then paracetamol would do that job or nurofen if you are not on them or other anti-inflams for your pain.

There are 100's of different types of arthritis and generally OA doesn't give you a temp... the blood tests they tend to do initially only seem to show one other type, RA, but there are so many others.

You can certainly ask your GP for some bloods to be run...no harm in it...but of me mine came back negative....and l live amongst the great undiagnosed( :lol: ) with sero-negative/palindromic/inflammatory arthritis. :wink:

I hope you are able to cope over the bank holiday? If so then maybe you need to be thinking about the pain in as much detail as possible and making more notes....where.....when...for how long? Grade it out of 10.....what does it stop you doing etc.

This information is very useful for rheumatologists in making their assessment of your condition. Try to rest, but move when you can so you don't seize up.

Have you read the rang of movement exercises on this site???

You can also ring the rheumatologists secretary and offer to take a cancellation at short notice if you can??

Sorry just realised you do have co-codamols....so no paracetamols to get your temp down....cold flannel on forehead is about all you have left....though you can buy pads to stick on to get your temp down...they are for kids normally but supermarkets sell them.

Bless you May big hugs for you and hang on in there.

Love

Toni xx
  • kellerman
    Options
    Hi Toni,
    I know arther is not bothered about it being a bank holiday.
    Did ring rheumy sec. and said I would accept a cancellation,some one suggested that last time I posted.
    My GP won't do any bloods for some reason,probably financial.
    I have to get up about every 10 minutes otherwise I'll probably cease up.
    Good idea about those kiddies temp things. Thank you.Will send OH to the shop.
    At least the sun is shining.
    My Gp told me my disks are shot to pieces, whatever that means but she was talking about the top of my back as that was the only place I had the MRI.
    I must, I can, and I will get this temp down.
    Thanks again May
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Good Morning May

You go right ahead and have a good moan if you feel like it, we all need to get things off our chest. I have OA and have never had a temperature with it. If you are not satisfied with the way your GP is dealing with things, ask to see a different one, you have every right to do this. I changed GP and it was the best thing I ever did, the previous one was so vague and I just didnt feel he was all that interested in what I had to say about how I was feeling but my new one is fantastic and has helped me so much. I am not 100% sure how they diagnose OA but I know mine was diagnosed with xrays but that was many years ago. I wish I had some great advice for you regarding the pain but I dont, I just take my pain dullers and grin and bear it :x I hope things start to improve for you soon, sending you hugs xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi May,

I am sorry your not feeling so good today and hope that you will soon feel a lot better.

The mri on the bit they did would possibly have shown the sate of the disc's and that might be why the gp says it. Hopefully the rumo, when you get there, will do some bloods and make sure its all down to oa.

I did used to get a feeling of a temperature in the days the oa was the only one I had. Bit like a favour when the bones burned and pain can make your tempiture go up but I can't remember if it does by much.

I wonder on Tuesday if there is another doc you can see in the practice? It might give another Angle on it for you maybe.

Hope that you will be bale to take it a bit easy today and the tablets will soon help you. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Perhaps you have a bug. Take paracetamol to reduce the temp and keep hydrated. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kellerman
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for replies and sorry for late response. Got invaded by 3 daughters and a 7 year old grandson.
    I intend to change docs. Been with these all my life but the original docs have retired and this lot are useless.
    I am doing my homework as we have a new surgery nearer us but I need to know what they are like and also how long it takes the PCT to transfer records as I don't want to mess about at the moment because I have 3 hospital appointments in October.
    DD it could be a bug but I don't know where. Would be ok if back pain would just lessen a bit with my tablets.Don't expect it to go away but would help if I could stand straight.
    Temperature came down but back again so time for my coco's.
    Hopefully will be ok in the morning.Been up since 4 and although I appreciate my daughters coming,my youngest tends to put stuff away and never in the right place.
    Thank you all again. Hope you've had a nice day. May
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I'm having a bad day too, ..

Just wanted to send you some hugs and hope you feel better soon..xx

(((((X)))))
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Sometimes we put things down to arthritis that aren't actually anything to do with it and given what we go through that isn't surprising. If you do have a bug then that will affect your ability to deal with the pain (well, it does for me) so that makes the usual aches etc seem worse. Keep up with the dullers and I hope you feel better soon. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Afternoon kellerman, how are things today? I hope you are feeling better/brighter. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello kellerman, I hope everything is as OK as it can be. DD
  • kellerman
    Options
    Hi,
    Well happy to say pain in back bearable today but I couldn't lift the kettle to make a cuppa,had to fill it using cups!!!
    I am laughing at myself here as whatever this is it certainly moves about a bit.
    About 7 weeks before I see a rheumy so will just keep taking the dullers.
    All this since I fell on the ice. I will have to hibenate this winter, although second thoughts damage already done,so will just do my usual duck walk.

Thank you all for your support. I am so pleased I found this forum.
    Hope you all have a reasonable day.
    May
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think a number of people on here use a travel kettle from time to time, it's a practical solution to a tricky problem. I am glad to hear that you are feeling a little better, how's the temperature? DD
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Good Morning May

So sorry that you are still in so much pain. Hope you have a good day anyway. Take it easy and look after yourself xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • kellerman
    Options
    Temperature down DD. I think it makes you feel worse when you have a temp and don't know why.
    Couldn't understand why the coco's didn't bring it down.
    Will try travel kettle,never think of these things myself so will now be looking around to see what else will make daily living easier.
    Well it's never going to go away is it so I'll have to adapt.

Thanks Jean, Just NORMAL aches and pains today.7 weeks before I see a consultant,then I might find out what I've got.

Take care May
  • traluvie
    Options
    Just checking in to see how you are...
    Glad you feeling a bit better today, makes everything else more bearable..
    The kettle is a nightmare.. i use a jug to fill mine and then Occupational Therapy provided me with a device that makes pouring the kettle easier, no lifting required..You can speak to GP about referral if you are struggling with things around the home..
    You take care, and take it easy too..
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I forgot about that, it's some sort of kettle tipper isn't it? Good idea, traluvie. DD
  • traluvie
    Options
    DD yes a kettle tipper.. i forgot what it was called.. my memory awful lately lol.. You can buy them for around £20 from disability shops if you haven't got an OT referal..
  • kellerman
    Options
    Hi Tracy,
    Yes a kettle tipper. Have found one and ordered it.
    Thank you. Loads of stuff on these sites that may come in handy.
    Worked for NHS for 29 years and know loads of OT's and pysio's.
    I used to see them shopping often but haven't seen anyone lately.Typical.
    I need something I can sit on in the bath so I can have a shower as it is over the bath(no room for seperate shower.
    Not sure if those bench type things are ok.
    OH helps me in and out of bath but I would so like to do this myself.
    Advise would be very much appreciated.
    May
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Tiptree-tipper!!! that one used to make me laugh as l worked there for a while in Colchester.

Bath board and bath seat are you thinking of?? they are ok and safe so long as they are the right size or adjustable some baths vary.

You need both if you are going to give it a go.

Love
    Toni xx