Any tips for THR surgery ??

weejean
weejean Member Posts: 346
edited 31. Aug 2011, 11:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good Morning

I was just wondering if anyone has tips on how to cope after THR both physically and emotionally. I am having both hips done on Friday and any advice would be greatly received. I have only had minor surgery in the past so this is all new to me. I know that for the first few weeks I have to be careful with bending/twisting etc and need some tips for managing around the house as I dont want to feel totally helpless :cry:
Big Hugs
Jean xx

Comments

• daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jean, good luck with THR.
    I'm having one hip revised in three weeks.
    Haven't the hospital given you any booklets or anything on how to cope?
    Basically it's just making sure you move your feet round when you turn and not swiveling on your hips, no bending past 90 degrees (that one is a must), no crossing legs when sat, lying on your back on the bed (that was the hardest thing for me).
    All things in cupboards should only be one shelf either up or down, I'm sorting mine out next week.
    Don't sit or stand for too long.
    Must be harder obviously with having both hips done at once but how good to get it over and done with.
    your life should be a lot better when the basic 6 weeks are up, once you go for the check-up at six weeks they will tell you what ou can do and how it's allhealing, you should have an x-ray then to make sure it's all ok.
    Will be thinking about you. take care and take it easy.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Both Weejean?

Bless you...

my advice....invest in some decent reading material/puzzles to do whatever you enjoy most....and any box set DVDs you have been thinking about watching for ages....now may be the time.

Add plenty fruit and maybe prune juice and some nice stuff for treats.....not alcohol.....maybe chocolate??? :wink:

Plenty of love and hugs from those who love you (small children give the best in my experience!) and...from any not too boisterous pets....

I know no more only had back surgery :wink: but found raised loo seat and chair up high useful though l imagine you have those already.

Love and lots and lots of luck

Toni xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Weejean.
    when i had my thr i was told to do the exersizes the physio gave me 10 times twice a day to get the muscles strong again.
    the worse i found was lying on my back in bed
    i will be there for you on thursday and after.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I was given a grabby stick in hospital so I used that a lot to prevent bending. Washing had to be scooped up and put in the washer ,things regularly picked off the floor such as post, toys etc. It is useful to put help put your undies on. It is better to be as independent as possible I was told by the physio. If they don't give you a grabby stick I would buy one.Mine is still going strong 2 years later even though the kids often use it as a sword.

Do get lots of rest but also make the effort to move and walk about. Also keep up with the exercises as this will all aid your recovery.

All the best
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Hi Jean,
    Sorry can't help,only the obvious,don't stretch,don't bend and don't twist.
    You have always been helpful on my posts so I wish you well.
    You will be fine.
    Emotions after any op are up and down.
    Positive thought got me through my cancer op.Just don't push yourself too hard.
    My thoughts will be with you.
    May
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi,
    I cant add much more Jean......Just the 90 degree bending etc.....cant sit on a chair and lean forward and pick up a cup of coffee from the coffee table :sad:
    I found sleeping on my back was the hardest thing .......I think if you have any sort of reclining chair you might be better sleeping on that....I didnt but know some people that have.
    It will get over....the 6 weeks of sleeping on your back. Just think you'll only have to do it once....not twice :grin:
    Have you got booklets about what you can and cant do? Have they sorted you out with physio equipment.?
    I had a toilet seat and sides....that was a blessing. I had a trolly. Fantastic if you are on your own and want a cup of tea or a sandwich.....use that instead of crutches/sticks. A grabber.....still have it. If you havent got a straight chair {I only have 2 x 2 seater sofas} they will provide one for you. Horrible looking things but they are good.
    Keep the things you are going to need close to you......no high cupboards for the time being.
    All Toni's ideas about books/puzzles/dvd box sets and chocolates/prune juice.......are good. Most of the tablets are very constipating so prune juice is good but chocolate is a laxative as well :lol::lol: So I kept telling myself.
    If you can think of anything else to ask....go ahead....I cant remember other things.
    Love
    Hileena
  • weejean
    Thanks everyone

I am getting organised, housework and washing are up to date, done grocery shopping, sorted out hubbys meds, hospital bag packed. I am lucky that my hubby is working from home and will be with me every day for my recovery, my Mum and sister are also on hand so I have plenty of help and support at home. Having dinner with family tonight, going for scans and xrays tomorrow then into hospital thursday. The nerves are kicking in but I am just trying to keep busy so I dont think about it too much.

I cant thank you all enough, you have been so supportive over the last few weeks and have helped me so much. I really appreciate each and every one of you xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Jean
    Cant add anything to your list, apart form having your hair cut...sorry it might not want doing....this would be top of my list.. :lol: I will be with you Friday...and how good is it not having to worry about help when you come home...
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    Hi
    I forgot everything about hair.....Barbara I got mine cut 2 days before I went in :lol:
    That is something that is not easy......you cant bend forward to wash it. Go to the hairdressers afterwards as well ......backways doesnt matter its the leaning forwards as far as I remember.
    I did try to let Peter do mine at first :eek: :eek:
    Which reminds me....a perch stool is another thing from thre OT I got.....anyway.....used the perch stool, emptied the cupboard under the sink {Peter did....not me :lol: } I sat on the perch stool, with my feet and legs in the cupboard......a sight to be seen :lol::lol: tried to sit as straight as I could while Peter half drowned me :lol: In between times use a dry shampoo....wont do any harm for a while.

Love
    Hileena
  • weejean
    Thanks for that tip Barbara and Hileena. Got my hair cut and coloured, thats the grey all gone for now. Where will I get a dry shampoo and do they actually work. I have never used it before, how long will I have to do without a shower/washing my hair. Sorry for all the questions but its the small things like this that affect your daily life and its these things that I never thought about xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi Jean,
    I use a product called 'no rinse' (sorry mods but it needs it's title)
    Hubby can't shower/bath, it's a liquid you put on your hair and lather-up then just towel dry. Smells lovely too.
    Just put it in the search engine to find stockists
    Hope everything goes OK for you this week Jean
    (((((hugs)))))
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hello Jean,

It sounds like you've been given some good advice and I have nothing more to add but wanted to wish you lots and lots of luck. We'll all be here for you emotionally, so don't forget that. ;) (( ))

Keep us updated. xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    My personal tip for you, weajean, would be to stop fretting as it’s going to be OK! You’ll be told what you can and can’t do by physios and the OT. I imagine it’ll be more or less the same as a single THR with knobs on.

And my other personal tip, remembering your itchy feet as regards housework, and that dangerous last line of yours, is to relax and let others get on with it – or not. Your role is to rest and recover, take the meds and do the exercises.

Just get yourself to the hospital and others will do the rest. Once you’re back online we’ll all be here to support you. I hope it all goes brilliantly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi weejean

I have a dry shampoo ready in my bag for when i go into hosp.
    It is tres**me instant fresh. I have had a go but ended up as if i had been spray painted :lol: grey with blobs.
    But.....I do have trouble with my hands. Other peeps would be more even.
    I think it is only good for one time though and needed to wash my hair the day after.
    I think I may have to look for daylilys product, and give that a try.(will still only be able to do front of head :lol: cause arms don't reach.....oh the joys of going in hosp eh? (hubby normally washes it for me :roll: )

Will be in your pocket, with the dry shampoo, might beable to spray you better than I can spray myself :lol:

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Hi Jean
    I had a THR done last year, but you are having both done so it will be harder for you, take all the drugs on offer at the hospital, just be carefull how you move, do the exercises the physio will give you, its a long slow recovery but at least you will have a lot of help which is great (lucky you). If they put waterproof dressings on you can shower daily which is fantastic. Good Luck and post to let us all know how you are getting on when you are back home.
    Denise
  • hileena111
    Hi
    You'll get a dry shampoo in most chemists and different kinds the same as there are different kinds of ordinary shampoo.
    I've tried a couple of different ones but the best one is Batiste.....pm me if this gets deleted....sorry mods. :oops: Try B***s for it if you have one close by.
    If its an emergency and i use it i find it lasts for 2 or 3 days. Mostly if I use it I would wash my hair the next day but in a case like a THR it lasted 2 or 3 days :lol: My hair was short then.....what about yours. You just shake it, spray, shake again and spray and then rub gently. I leave it for a while then brush it out and thats it.
    I found that it was important.....no point in looking dreadful.....might as well look the best you can.
    But if you have a local hairdressers and can get a lift.....go there once in a while.....6 weeks is usually the time length but speedy was told 12 weeks if I remember rightly
    Love
    Hileena
  • weejean
    Thanks again everyone !!

Sticky, I spent most of the day running around cleaning, tidying and organising until I read your post, you are so right, I am driving myself mad and need to calm down and let hubby take over. I am now sitting with a nice cup of tea and having a relax. Thanks for the advice it is really appreciated.

All you guys have been so good to me and have helped me so much. I will keep you all updated and hopefully will be able to get online in the hospital xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Only go with the flow Whatever happens things will get better.I had mine done in Spain Nobody told me what to expect No real aftercare My wife had to change my dressings once I came home and had to give me an injection every day for a month HOWEVER the relief in a very short time was amazing.I can work in the garden,shovel gravel and even climb over small walls.Every few days you will feel better and better.This time last year I could hardly walk from the living room to the toilet AND we are in a bungalow Best of luck for Friday I will be thinking of you as your time is quite close to when I had mine :smile::smile::smile:
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Jean

Sorry am only just catching this, but didn't want to miss sending some positive, calming and help with sleep vibes for the next day or two and buckets of cope and and healing for Friday onwards. I have no advise I can offer but I will be thinking of you and wishing you well. I hope someone can log on for you to let us know how you are doing when you feel able to let us know.

It is always amazing to me how helpful other peoples threads can be to others on this forum. I hadn't given a thought to the shampoo dilemma post op. but with my hair still long thanks for the tips re dry shampoo guys. I am gratefully storing such tips away for the future.

Take care Jean
    special big hugs to you too. ((( )))
    Chris
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    s: Try B***s for it if you have one close by.
    Hileena[/quote]

Hileena

that actually looks rude :lol::lol: Serioulsy this make is great available in B*ts and l use it at least once a week on my youngest as she gas greasy hair. There are even some with colours in the spray to do your roots!!!

Is your hair trimmed ready Jean??

Toni xx
  • weejean
    Good Morning !!

Tone, how awful that you had no aftercare :shock: but I am glad to hear that you can do things now that you couldnt do before. The doctors/nurses/physios at my hospital are fantastic and I am very lucky to be in their hands. Thanks for the support xx

Chris thanks for all the positive vibes you are sending, I definately need them today. I am feeling a bit nauseous and I think its just nerves. I hadnt thought about the dry shampoo either until I read about the hair washing on someone elses post. I have had so much good advice from all you guys xx

Toni, I had my hair cut and coloured (hate when the grey is showing). I have my hair a bit shorter than usual so its easier to manage xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Weejean.
    i will be thinking about you tomorrow and friday.
    all the best and i hope you enjoy the food its nice not to wash up.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx