Methtraxate metoject - now I have a cold..any advice?

Options
cornishman
cornishman Member Posts: 34
edited 30. Aug 2011, 06:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Dear Forum

My body seems to be in a war zone right now! I started on meto-ject Methtraxate (10mg) last Thurs alongside my regular Enbrel anti-tnf in the hope the two would be more effective in my battle with RA. On Friday morning I got cold shivers and went back to bed with a hot water bottle which helped. Then Saturday woke with nasal/sinus blocked and a sore head. Also yesterday a little breathless in chest. I have caught a cold somehow... just what I needed! I haven't been around anyone with cold symptoms however. Wondering if any of you have had this experience after you first Meth injection? I am blaming it on the Meth and don't know where to turn now. Today I should be taking my weekly Enbrel injection but have read you shouldn't if you feel you have cold/flu symptoms...oh dear I am in for another rough week it seems. I suppose I should phone the Doc tomorrow?

Hope your Bank Holiday is proving better than mine.
Regards, Cornish Dave

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dave,
    I'm on enbrel and 20ml injected methotrexate too, have been for quite a while, methotrexate tablets for 15months with a few problems, ie sickness and appalling blisters so switched to injected meth with no problems at all.
    We're all different with how we tolerate these medications Dave, what I can say is Definately do not take the enbrel while ill or the meth if the illness continues. DO call your rheumatology dept at the hospital you are with and ask for advice tomorrow, they may be able to get you an emergency appt with the rheumatology nurse (if you have one). Failing that please see your GP if the symptoms continue, you may well just have been unlucky and caught a cold, but it's best to be sensible and check it out. Are you on folic acid tablets? It seems to vary with people being told different ways to take it but, my Rheumy put me on 5mg daily except day of meth injection to counteract any sickness, hair loss, blisters etc.
    Hope that makes some sense to you, pm me if I can be of any further help. Take care xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It sounds liked a cold and my hospital's advice has always been not to meth of humira when I have cold or any other sort of bug, so I never have and they clear up pretty quickly. Check with your GP or rheumatology unit if you are not sure what to do. I hope you feel better soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Oh Dave

you don't have much luck with this malarky do you?

I back the others....on the phone tomorow asap and take some advice.

Colds are too esay to catch even if you didn't realise it...in the queue at t*sco for instance :sad:

Love and a lemsip

Toni xx

PS if you are really still breathless maybe a call to NHS direct is in order?
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hio Mate
    Phone the Rhumy nurse and talk to her
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    You ok Dave?

Just hoping all is well and you have taken some advice.

Love

toni xx
  • cornishman
    cornishman Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi Guys

Dear Forum

Still feeling lousy today...thanks for your replies, what a lifeline you all are! My God I forgot that when you have cold it sure impacts the RA doesn't it? More swollen joints and that awful systemic pulse of pain running around the body from head to toe. My energy that was on the up recently but has nosedived and I feel like I am trying to breath underwater currently. I have just called my Rheumy nurse so I hope she will return my call soon. I'm thinking to leave the Enbrel injection alone until I am better as you all advise me to. As to the Meth...well I cant help but feel its the culprit for making me feel like this, I feel like tossing the stuff overboard and trying to find my own way in this perfect storm I find myself in.

Battening down the hatches here and heading for my bunk...again!

Thanks again....David x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Both meds reduce the immune system so when you do catch a bug it can take some time to appear (as no or few symptoms manifest) and when they do they can be pretty bad. Stopping the meds means the immune system has a chance to strengthen and fight off the infection - yes, it may also mean the RA has a chance to bite but at least that confirms that the meds are doing something. It's an odd silver lining but it's there! I hope you start to feel better soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben