Holding something then hands are so stiff?

sennacharib
sennacharib Member Posts: 76
edited 31. Aug 2011, 09:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just been finding recently that when im holding my mobile phone or anything my hand gets stiff so quickly and aches too...is this normal in RA? Or is it same with all types of arthritis?

Thanks in advance, hope your all well today.

Hugs Senna xxxx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Unfortunately, Senna, this is bogstandard territory with RA. It's not a good idea either to grasp anything tightly or to maintain any one position for any length of time. Can you keep swapping hands? Put it on speaker? Tuck it into your neck/chin area? (Not if you have neck problems though.) You will find your own best answer. We are the masters and mistresses of invention.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Senna

I have RA and am familiar with what you are describing. When my RA has been very active in the past I have found that joints can seize very quickly if you stay in one position very long. You might find it helps to change hands during a phone call and to move the one not being used to keep it more flexible.

Tillyxxx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Probably not what you hoped to hear ; but this is typical of RA . It can be useful when using the phone though as you have an excuse to cut calls short if talking to someone who irritates or bores ! You can always find a positive if you search for it ! On a more serious note , maybe time to talk to your OT about disabled friendly utensils to make life easier . Jillyb
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    I have inflammatory arthritis and i find it difficult to hold things for a long time as my hands/arma get achy..
    When using the phone i hold phone with shoulder to head(know what i mean lol) or if having bad day will put phone on loud speaker..Anything else like writing etc i just take my time and rest if need be..Some how you will find a way to do things that suits you..There are a lot of useful tips on the site..not sure what the thread is called.. i shall have a look and see if i can boot it bcak up for you..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • traluvie
    Simple ideas to make life easier is the thread.. lots of useful ideas on there
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    My hands stay in 'phone holding' position too :oops:

But my neck hurts from years of holding phones in my neck l think while the kids were little.....you can get handsfree versions etc if it helps?? Tracey you be careful you dont add your neck to your troubles :wink:

I just swap a bit and behave try not to do too many marathon calls :lol:

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Senna

Hope you find a solution soon. :smile:

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • traluvie
    frogmorton wrote:
    My hands stay in 'phone holding' position too :oops:

But my neck hurts from years of holding phones in my neck l think while the kids were little.....you can get handsfree versions etc if it helps?? Tracey you be careful you dont add your neck to your troubles :wink:

I just swap a bit and behave try not to do too many marathon calls :lol:

Love

Toni xx

:lol: very true Toni.. i do not want something else added to my list..
  • sennacharib
    sennacharib Member Posts: 76
    Big thankyou for everyone who replied, much appreciated. I do find all this arthritis stuff so scary, and with no definate diagnosis yet i tend to worry, but your all so great, you do such a good job of reassuring and knowing we are all in same boat helps greatly.

I will look at the thread that was mentioned, and i will try to remember not to hold things for any prolonged amount of time, i do find it happens rather quickly even after a minute or so.

Roll on 28th and hopefully a definate answer to all my symptoms!!

Hope your all feeling well today and having a good wednesday.

Hugs love Senna xxxx