THR and pilates

Options
alisonsomerset
alisonsomerset Member Posts: 6
edited 15. Nov 2011, 19:29 in Say Hello Archive
I am having a total left hip replacement (ceramic) for OA and am thinking of doing palates (individual sessions) as part of my rehab. and to improve my gait and posture. Has anyone had experience of this. I know I will have to have abide by the 'don'ts' not crossing legs, 90% rule etc.
Thanks
Alison

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Alison

I would suggest that you find a pilates teacher who is aware of what people should and should not be doing after a THR on the exercise front.
    You need to have faith that the person teaching you is well qualified in every way.

I wish you well with your forthcoming operation.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hi Alison,

What a great idea! If you enter 'pilates' in the search engine on the top right of the page you'll find quite a lot of stuff on it including, top left, a fairly comprehensive article on Pilates & Arthritis. Good luck with your op!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Alison

when l do this kind of class l get a space near a wall or window so l can get up easier and do what Elna says make sure the instructor knows!

Good luck

Toni xx
  • alisonsomerset
    alisonsomerset Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful replies. I am going to start palates (individual sessions initially) before my op which is on 11th of October-so not much time. I will check out carefully with the physio. for post-op limitations of what I can do.
    So good to get a reponse as this can be a pretty lonely journey if you don't want to bore friends a and family too much!
    Best wishes to you all on your own journeys....
    Alison
  • jimmylemo
    jimmylemo Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Tell you a real good idea. I've had pain in my legs for the last 5 years and I've tried everything. But on thing I did do was took a one on one session in Pilates and that helped. BUT and this was the big BUT. They put me on a health diet. It was called "Holistic Nutrition & Lifestyle" and it was the Lifestyle that fixed the problem. These guys went though all the food we eat (well what I ate) and then filed down into my illness and added and deleted foods from my diet. I don't have the full info on the diet but you can find a blurb here i]Link removed as per house rules - Moderator Z[/i hope this helps. All the best Jimmy