Where were you on 9/11

Options
rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 13. Sep 2011, 04:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
Most of us senior people will always remember where we were when President Kennedy was assassinated, but as 9/11 is just 10 years ago I guess we all remember where we were when we heard the news.

My wife and I was on holiday in Newquay, Cornwall. We were having cream scones and coffee in a small cafe when we heard people talking about what we though was a tragic plane crash, it wasn't until we returned to our hotel room that we find out the full horrific truth.

Anyone remember where they were?

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Ron

I remember exactly where I was when I heard about Kennedy's assassination and 9/11.

I was a student in London when Kennedy was assassinated, and was sitting having a meal in the canteen of the hall of residence. Another student told us the news, and I remember how silent everyone went in total disbelief.

On 9/11 I had gone to my son's house to look after his dogs and switched on the TV just as the first tower had been hit. Everyone thought it was possibly an accident at first, but I remember feeling sick when the second tower was hit. Thinking about all those poor people was terrible, and there was a genuine fear that there could be more attacks.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Ron
    We where in Eastbourne on holiday, and had just come back to the hotel...put the tv on and it was showing the plane and fire in the first tower...so we thought it was an accident...then has we were watching the second plane hit.....you dont forget something like that..
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    I was at home and decided to turn the tv on while sat having a coffee.

I remember thinking.....what film is this?? and sat staring at the screen then realized it wasn't a film but it was actually happening. I was just so horrified I couldn't believe it.

so so sad.

Juliepf x
  • rondetto
    Options
    Yes, I couldn't believe what I was watching either. I'm not a very religious person but the following day we had a day trip to Truro where we went into the beautiful cathedral there, I can remember kneeling to pray and just asked over and over why...why...why?
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    i wasn't very well with my arthritis and remember thinking i must turn on the news incase something important was happening. I turned it on and saw the 2nd plane hitting one of the towers. i thought it was an accident at first.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    I was at a meeting for teaching and someone told us, the meeting was cancelled and we all went home. Like everyone disbelief at how much evil in the world.

I can remember exactly where I was when Elvis died too. xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    at home and also could not belive it either watched it over and over val
    val
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I was at home and had just put my daughter down for a nap, she was 2 then. I put the tv on and the towers were being hit, I honestly thought that I was watching a movie. When someone was commentating, then I realised and sat down in disbelief.

Too young for Elvis and JFK, hubby isnt so Ill ask him what he was doing

Janie
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    At my friend house chatting and caught it on television...didn't really realise what was going on as i had to collect my lad from school. It was not until i returned home and my sister phoned me up and told me to switch the tv on that i realised what had happened.
  • rondetto
    Options
    Strange isn't it, I also remember getting home from town and my wife saying that Jill Dando had been murdered, I couldn't believe it and still today think it's appalling that nobody has been found for her murder, having released Barry George.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    On the m74 with my dad having dropped niece at glasgow bus station...Radio was on but only quiet music was playing...Stopped at services and my dad said to me he knew of a man called Bin Laden, he wondered was he in on it...Never knew the name then but never forgotten it since....

Awful

Elainex
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I was just getting ready for work when it came on tv,was a school cleaner and started work at 3oclock,when parents were coming in to collect their little ones one parent said both towers had collapsed.Mig
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    I was on holiday at Ayia napa, just returned from beach.Husband went to the bar for refreshment he thought a film was on tv.He could not believe it when barman told him what was happening.It was indeed a terrible day such a tragic waste of so many lifes.My thoughts today are with the families who suffered .
  • rondetto
    Options
    Lot's of rememberance services today, so tragic for everyone invloved including those brave firemen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I was at home. I sat watching the TV coverage with disbelief. I still find the footage viscerally shocking. No matter how many times I will see that footage I know I will think 'Surely that plane won't hit that building.'

I dimly remember black and white TV coverage of Winston Churchill's funeral, I don't remember what I was doing when Kennedy was assassinated, I do recall where I was when John Smith died, Maggie was ousted, John Someone was released after years of captivity (Jill Morell was his girlfriend but I cannot remember his surname!) and we were on our honeymoon in Italy when Diana left the world. 9/11 is, however, completely unforgettable. It did change the world. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    Options
    John Mc Carthy.

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • rondetto
    Options
    Another tragedy was the murder of Earl Mountabtten.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thank you tkachev! I've been racking what passes for a brain and it would NOT come - now I feel better.

I'd forgotten Mountbatten Ron - I am ashamed to say I don't remember much about it, I think I was busy being a teenager. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rondetto
    Options
    It was a real tragedy, he was on his fishing boat off the coast of County Sligo when a bomb went off, it had been planted by the IRA.
  • tkachev
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Thank you tkachev! I've been racking what passes for a brain and it would NOT come - now I feel better.

I'd forgotten Mountbatten Ron - I am ashamed to say I don't remember much about it, I think I was busy being a teenager. :oops: DD

My son had to do a 5 facts on Terry Waite the night before so that is how I knew.....good timing.

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein