Public speaking

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 24. Sep 2011, 12:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
How are you at public speaking :?:

I've got to give a speech at a charity meeting this afternoon, and I know that my legs will turn to jelly when I stand up in front of all those people. I'll probably turn red as a beetroot :oops: and forget half of what I want to say even though I've got notes to refer to.

I can stand in front of any number of children without feeling any nerves whatsoever, but with adults it's a different matter.

Has anyone got any advice as to how to overcome my nerves :?:

Someone once told me to imagine all the people naked, but that would just make me laugh :lol:
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Establish eye contact with one person dead ahead, one to your left and one to your right. Flick your eyes between them and you will look as though you are addressing everyone ( ergo inclusive) and hopefully you will receive reassuring eye mesages in return. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, Del and DD.

Rows of cabbages is a good idea, Del, and also your idea about eye contact, DD.

My main problem is breath contol. When I'm nervous, I tend to run out of breath before I get to the end of a sentence, so it comes out rather strangely. Because I'm conscious of this, it only makes it worse, and I end up sounding like a panting dog :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Talk slower and a little louder than your usual style, this gives the sound waves time to travel to the back of the room. It also enables you to breathe more regularly.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I used to be absolutely rubbish at this. I, too, did the ‘running out of breath’ thing – in fact I tended to end up swallowing mid-sentence. I’m still not good at it but I have improved. Deliberately talking slower, I have found, is imperative as I speed up when nervous so even consciously talking slower only reins me back to normal speed. So I also adopt the tactic of pausing slightly between sentences, smiling if appropriate (Not if you’ve just announced the death of a much-loved member) as this also helps me to relax and gives me chance to breath normally.

I shall, in future, also adopt DD’s tactic of making eye contact with three people. I was recently seated on the front row of a gathering in which the speaker, standing about 3 feet away, spoke directly to me the whole time. It was most unnerving.

Hope it goes well, Joan.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Oooh Joan

can l wish you lots of luck with this. Do let us know you survived later.

Love

Toni xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    well, believe it or not..... I'm very shy and am rubbish things like this. I've been best man twice.. Hated it.
    Wish you the best of luck for the speech
    You will be fine :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I hope it's over and that all went well - I bet you wowed them, Joan!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hope it went well joan sure you did well
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Well I got off to a really good start :roll: I got dressed in a smart outfit and then decided to eat a yoghurt with my lunch before going to the meeting. Somehow, it slipped out of my hand and spilled all down my front :shock: I'd even got yoghurt in my shoes :!: :shock: I then had to rush to change clothes, so I was a bit flustered by the time I left home.

Luckily, I had some time to gather myself together as there was a slide presentation before I had to make my speech. There were about 100 people present, and I smiled to myself as I imagined them as rows of cabbages as Del suggested :grin: Quite a few of the cabbages smiled back at me, so that helped to put me at my ease. I took a deep breath, and tried not to do my imitation of a panting dog while making eye contact with three of the cabbages as instructed by DD. :grin: It seemed to work, and I managed to get through the speech without any hitches, but I was still relieved when it was all over.

Thanks to all for your support and advice folks :grin:

Joan
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    well done 10/10 for doing great job val
    val
  • tjt6768
    Options
    well done Joan. I knew you would do it. Spill yoghurt I mean,.i thought you would bomb with the speech :roll: :lol::wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Wow Joan, I am impressed - yoghurt IN your shoes - that takes skill girl!

Seriously, well done: despite the mishap you got yourself together and did a good job by the sounds of things, so congratulations to you. The next one will be easier, the one after that easier still and so it will go on. Whaddya mean, there won't be a next one? DD
  • joanlawson
    Options
    :grin::grin::grin:

Thanks very much everyone :grin:

DD, yes, I thought the yoghurt in the shoes was quite clever too :lol: ( That's not what I said at the time though :shock: )
  • tjt6768
    Options
    well done though Joan. Much better than I would have done I bet..

With the speech, not the yoghurt. I would have managed to get the yoghurt into someone elses shoes easily :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Tony, when I laugh I cough. You have made me cough far too many times than is good for a girl, so I am going to have to log off. You are a lovely clot, aren't you? DD
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I'm such a clot I could cause a stroke :grin:
    Now stop coughing :roll: :lol::wink:

dreamdaisy wrote:
    Tony, when I laugh I cough. You have made me cough far too many times than is good for a girl, so I am going to have to log off. You are a lovely clot, aren't you? DD
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Del! I dropped a steroid down there earlier today. :oops: I had to fish it out for myself due to a distinct lack of helpers. :sad:
  • tjt6768
    Options
    :shock: :shock:
    hey.. Nobody has heard from Len lately... Are we going to have to arrange a search party :eek:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Glad it went well, Joan, just catching up on things... You should have told me when and where it was so I could have come along to support (laugh) at you :D I do a very good impression of a cabbage, I just imagine it's a work meeting!

I could have whooped and cheered in all the right places - I hate missing opportunities!!

Nxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Hi Nina.. You ok? I can just picture you heckling poor Joan :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP