Long term RA and pregnant

Options
Beckyboo
Beckyboo Member Posts: 12
edited 19. Nov 2011, 15:40 in Young people's community
Hi, my name is Becky and I'm 24.

This is my 3rd pregnancy. I was diagnosed at 4 years old with Polyarticular Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and the age of 14 years ago I was diagnosed with Uveitis. Also bone density loss in my lower spine and hips. With my last two pregnancies I sailed through with no problems. This pregnancy I've been in absolute agony from about 22 weeks. I have a consultant this time, which I didn't have with previous pregnanies. I've been given a support belt which isn't really helping. They can't give me crutches because of the pressure on my joints (my elbows were once seized when I was little) from carrying my own body weight. So there is talk of a wheel chair for later on in pregnancy, which isn't going to be helpful with a 6 year old and 3year old to get to school. I don't drive and their dad works 6 days out of 7.

No one knew how pregnancy would effect my arthritis (apparently different for everyone), and as I said my last two pregnancies were perfect. So this isn't something I could of predicted.

If I lie on my back, I can barely open my hips now, so I'm really worried about what strain a natural labour would put on my joints.

I have a consulants appointment for 32 weeks next friday (23rd). Does anyone have any experience with RA and pregnancy? What were you offered in terms of delivery? I've read up on C-Sections and I'm aware they're major surgery with their own risks. But I'm really not sure my body could do a 3rd natural labour. But maybe someone here has some better experience with alternative methods of natural labour.

Really need some help and advice.

Comments

• Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Posted on your other one. Xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • toriateacake
    toriateacake Member Posts: 11
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hey,i'm 24 and i have 1 child, i didnt havemy arthritis then and i do plan on having more children. Children are everything and i feel for you i really do. Theres nothing worse than not being able to play with your children or take them swimming or do anything that you want to be able to do. I hope your feeling better about everything, at least your little one will be worth it xx