Long term RA and pregnant

Options
Beckyboo
Beckyboo Member Posts: 12
edited 23. Sep 2011, 09:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
(Have posted in young forum too, but this one seems to be more active).

Hi, my name is Becky and I'm 24.

This is my 3rd pregnancy. I was diagnosed at 4 years old with Polyarticular Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and 14 years ago I was diagnosed with Uveitis. Also bone density loss in my lower spine and hips. With my last two pregnancies I sailed through with no problems. This pregnancy I've been in absolute agony from about 22 weeks. I have a consultant this time, which I didn't have with previous pregnanies. I've been given a support belt which isn't really helping. They can't give me crutches because of the pressure on my joints (my elbows were once seized when I was little) from carrying my own body weight. So there is talk of a wheel chair for later on in pregnancy, which isn't going to be helpful with a 6 year old and 3year old to get to school. I don't drive and their dad works 6 days out of 7.

No one knew how pregnancy would effect my arthritis (apparently different for everyone), and as I said my last two pregnancies were perfect. So this isn't something I could of predicted.

If I lie on my back, I can barely open my hips now, so I'm really worried about what strain a natural labour would put on my joints.

I have a consulants appointment for 32 weeks next friday (23rd). Does anyone have any experience with RA and pregnancy? What were you offered in terms of delivery? I've read up on C-Sections and I'm aware they're major surgery with their own risks. But I'm really not sure my body could do a 3rd natural labour. But maybe someone here has some better experience with alternative methods of natural labour.

Really need some help and advice.

Comments

• Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Becky,

You poor thing, I can't offer you any advice about arthritis and pregnancy as although I had arthritis then it was undiagnosed. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for you and I really hope that they can give you some positive support when you go to the consultant. You know after having two children already (I have three but youngest 15) when you hold that beautiful baby in your arms it will all be worth it. I feel sure there will be someone along soon to give you more specific advice. Good luck Hun. Xxx

P.s. You are right there is always more 'traffic' in this area of the forum.
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi Becky,
    You are going through a really rough time aren't you.
    I'm sorry I can't give you any advise about pregnancy and RA.
    Some one will come along soon I'm sure on this forum and be able to help.
    All ops carry risks but I had a c section with my 5th child no problems.
    My only advise would be not to google anything,it can frighten you,like reading a medical book as my OH used to do and then he came up with symtoms and he thought he had everything.
    I wish you the best of luck and keep posting
    May
  • dee2010
    dee2010 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    hi i am so sorry your having a horrible time, i am at the moment trying to decide about pregnancy so seeing your post is a little scary. i have RA and its not controlled so i am waiting to talk to my rheumy next week to get some help and advice.

i am on crutches at the moment with a 2year old so its a bit difficult. i can understand your worry about labour, i had a c-section with my son due to not dialating and it is major, you can't do a lot of a few weeks after e.g bend and lift, walk far, and will be in hospital for 3 days if all's ok. you could have an epidural, that will help you proceed without the stress on your body then if needed they could use forceps to help delivery the baby which is better than a c-section because when the meds have run out you can get back to your normal self straight away.
    can i ask what meds were you on before you become pregnant and did you need to stop them?

hope this helps take care. x
    RA since feb 2010

methotrexate, plaquenil, prednisolone, diclafeac, tramadol, co-codamol, enbrel

**Davina**
  • Beckyboo
    Options
    Hiya,

I was on infliximab and steroids. I haven't had any issues with falling pregnant though and I've had RA for 20 years and been on treatment during that time also.

I did have miscarriages though, but that can happen to any woman, I don't think it' was anything to do with RA.

Don't be put off by my post, children are worth it and I don't regret my decision.

I've not been on ANY treatment this pregnancy, which is probably why I'm suffering more now than I did with my daughter 3 years ago.
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Hi Becky
    Sorry to hear you are having a rough time lately.
    I took low dose steroids throughout my pregnancy and it helped to just take the edge off.
    The best thing to do if you are worrying about labour is talk to a consultant in the maternity dept. Explain your reasons and see what they say. I was told that I could have early epidural so I wouldn't get too tired. The only problem I had was that I wasn't 'technically' in labour for 12 hours so wasn't allowed pain relief other than paracetamol and a warm bath and the midwives wouldn't even give me gas and air let alone an epidural. But I was contracting every three minutes through that 12 hour period!

If you are struggling with your hips then csection is possible, they do it for severe SPD sufferers.

Hope you can get it sorted.
    Take care
    Jen
  • Beckyboo
    Options
    C-section would be easier for me. I don't honestly think they'd beable to get my hips open enough even with epidural, then you're possibly risking a flare up which could end up with me bed bound anyway.

Well I'll see what they say to me. If they don't mention it, I'll ask.
  • Beckyboo
    Options
    They're talking about induction at 37 weeks with possible epidural for a long labour (which is typical with medical induction).

Which means I only have 5 more weeks to get through and of course I'll have a smaller baby :).