Hi & Help

YorkshireLass
YorkshireLass Member Posts: 60
edited 22. Sep 2011, 12:35 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

Don't know if I've come to the right place but I can't find anywhere specifically for my condition, but I think this is near enough :???:

I was diagnosed about 4 years ago with Cervical Spondylosis, and it has been traced to an injury I suffered 25 years ago when I was 18. It's taken nearly 20 years to rear it's ugly head. I also have Lupus and even though I've been in remission for years it may be that it's returning.

I have actually been managing the pain quite well using glucosamine and chondroitin, maybe because I'm at the early stages that is why it works, but as soon as I started taking them I noticed a huge difference and there was hardly any pain.

Unfortunately for the last few weeks I've been in constant pain, my neck is really stiff and crackly and I seem to have an almost permanent headache. I already suffer from migraines and have done all my life so I'm feeling a little fed up at the moment.

Is there anyone out there who can make some suggestions as to how I can manage the pain better?? Everything I have read just says take painkillers which I don't want to rely on for the next 50+ years.

Comments

• angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello flower!

Well, if your in the neck department, you can find me there. I'm in the same boat as you, and it's not a pleasant place to be.

I also have OA in my two index fingers, knees, big toe and the one next to it and have some hip issues although much less and probably a knock on effect of everything else.

My neck is currently in a flare and is playing up something rotten too. I try not to take painkillers if I can get away with it, but have to during bad flares like this. Usually a co-codemol work for me as a short term thing to get past the worst of it.

I get bags of tension headaches, some last up to two weeks during a really bad spell. This current one has been going 3 days and is worse during the late morning early afternoon when I've been up a while.

This lovely lot here said I should look into having some more physio, and maybe that would be something for you to ask for too.

I also have a gel pack I can freeze or heat so I get some pain relief from that too. I just wanted to say you are not alone, and I know how bloomin painful it must be right now, I'm with you all the way at the moment.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • YorkshireLass
    Hi Angie

Thank you for your kind words, there seems to be a friendly atmosphere on here, I've been a member of a few forums over the years and this seems to be one of the nicest.

I find ibuprofen is good but because I have prescription medication for the migraine I prefer not to take anything else, as it sometimes affects the use of the migraine tablets.

I find my headaches are like yours, infact I can feel one coming on now, early afternoon time.

I have an electric heat pad which I use of an evening, that seems to ease the symptoms and I wear a scarf almost 24/7 to keep things warm, people think I'm mad, esp' in the summer but they don't know what it's like :???:

Luckily it doesn't affect my sleep, I have the comfiest bed in the world, so that probably helps....lol.

I used to have physio when it was 1st diagnosed and to be honest it actually made the pain the worse, so I stopped going.

I suppose it's just a matter of living with it and finding the best things that work.

Hope you feel better soon, it's sort of nice to know there are other people out there.

Not fair is it??
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi Yorkshirelass, it's nice to meet you and I reckon you are in the right place here. I don't have what you have so can't help on that front but I think there are some on here with similar conditions (or neck trouble at least!) and I hope you can find information and support. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • YorkshireLass
    Thanks for your welcome DD, seems a friendly place, hope I settle in :eek: