I Made a Mess at the Doctors

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 24. Sep 2011, 14:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
I didn't mean to, honestly, but when someone asks you a silly question when you are sipping (and drinking) water they should be prepared for the outcome, yes?

After three days of a not-going-away sore throat I thought I had better trog off to the docs (just to make a nice change) and see what's up. I clattered in when she called me, there were the usual social exchanges 'How are you?' from me to her and 'I'm OK, how are you?' from her to me. I replied that I wasn't feeling too good and she said 'I can tell, you don't have your usual bounce and giggles.' She then introduced me to a young medical student who was sitting in, told him I have arthritis and asthma and then I explained the throat, said I hadn't done the H&M, said breathing was off and inhalers weren't helping, so out came the lolly stick and torch and there were the two of them peering down my throat. He said 'Pharyngitis, classic symptoms.', she agreed, I started coughing so she gave me a plastic cup of water. Mid-gulp came the question.

'Any flu-like symptoms? Temperature, pain in the joints?'

Cue a spray of water from my mouth and nose. I got her with the mouth fountain, and me with the nose effort! Cup spilt over me and splashed her (and him) as we all roared with laughter. She said 'I knew it was a silly question as soon as I asked it!' I said 'Of course I have pain in my joints!' and he spluttered 'The giggles are back.' He'll go far, that young man.

We also discovered I have a temperature although I don't feel it, apart from the odd shiver or two every now and again. So, penicillin it is, no meth until I have finished that, she asked for a blood test (which the nurse did almost immediately) and it is official: I is a poorly girl. :sad: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You may be poorly luvie, but at least you had a giggle at the doctors, that is rare thing..
    You had me chuckling too
    I still have my sore throat too, this weather change is causing havoc..
    I went out yesterday and had on vest, jumper, knee high socks and me fluffy boots,and coat (pretty nippy first thing yes morning) got to the bottom of the road and i stopped to roll me socks down me leg, bit further down the road i undone my coat, i was getting a right hot flush coming on..By time i got to destination i had to go to toilet to take off my vest..I think i over done the wrapping up :lol:
    Hope you feel better soon luvie..Take care..x
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • Stu69
    Stu69 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Hiya DD,

Glad you took yourself off to the Dr's - even more impressed at your decision to shower them! Good on you! :grin: They do ask some silly questions sometimes. My GP is so young I feel like taking a packed lunch in for him, and to check he still has his mittens sewn into his coat. :lol:

Sorry you're feeling a bit poorly though... have some (((((((((hugs))))))))) and go wrap up and sweat it out. Maybe a hot toddy would help too! :wink:

Stu
    No-one was injured in the making of this signature, however, quite a few electrons may have been inconvenienced.
  • angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    Options
    Ahh, bless you petal, hope you are feeling better soon. All the more reason to get snuggled up in a blanket with some nice warm tea and a chocolate or ten.

Sending hugs.
    Ange..xxxx

p.s. Still laughing now..... :lol:

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    It was indeed a silly question.Think i'd have done the same.Nice to have a laugh though so thanks.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • sennacharib
    sennacharib Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Awwww sorry your feeling poorly Daisy, I hope you cn get better soon.....and yes it was a silly question lol....

Bless u :)

Hugs Love Senna xxxx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hi DD
    well thats different so what will your next trick be.
    i hope your sore throat goes soon.
    ((((((((DD))))))))
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Aw dd glad you took your self to the gp, and got something to help with your throat.

Also loved the thought of you trying to impersinate a water feature... :lol:

I reckon they will have second thoughts in future of mixing drinks with questions :lol: Glad you all laughed about it.

Hope the med helps and the throat gets better soon.
    Keep warm and plenty of fluids and rest :smile:

Take care
    love juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have just had my second penicillin, and I have a glass of fresh orange juice to wash it down. I do feel grotty but pleased I don't feel I have to struggle through the day. It's different when it's only the arthritises, then I do have make an effort but as I am officially ILL I don't! Reeeeeeeesult! :grin: DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My rheumatology helpline have just rung (I left a message earlier): I am not to do next week's meth (I skipped the meth and humira this week due to the infection) so two meth-free weeks = getting better quicker. Sounds fair to me. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I am truly impressed by the lengths some people will go to in order to have a guilt-free laze. I suspect it’s the water that was a shock to the system, DD. I’m fairly confident you could have controlled your orifices better had it been a pint of ale.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    by heck, you don't have know how to make a good first impression eh??
    :shock: :shock:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    bet he decides not to be a gp now lol bless him. look after your self chill out and rest you have been told so do it ((())) to help you through val
    val
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Oh DD sorry you so unwell, reading your post did make me chuckle though.

You will prob be that med students funny story for the rest of his life, think how many laughs you have given people,! Xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Oh DD

sorry youre not feeling well but at least you can have a rest. Bet the docs are still laughing now :lol: I know I am :lol:

Hope you get better soon honey

Theresa

ps remember what we said about your subject line |DD I had a whole other mess in mind :shock:
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi DD
    Sorry you are ill but oh your post did make me laugh.
    Wish you'd done it to my useless stuck up GP, oh there's an idea but I doubt she'd offer me a drink of water. Never mind I'll take a bottle of my own.
    I do hope you feel better soon. May
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Oh dear, DD , so sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly . Glad you had cause to giggle at the docs though even if you soaked the poor trainee ! Always a silver lining though if you can avoid the ghastly meths for a while , try to rest and do a lot of wallowing until you get back to your usual bounce and bubbles . Jillyb
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Aw, you are poorly, dear DD. Keep taking the tablets and hopefully you will be feeling much better soon. You know how to tell a good yarn, I could not help laughing. You do have a good sense of humour - we have to have really, don't we, it does help marginally...... sometimes. :smile:

You look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Things usually get worse before they get better, yes? I feel worse today than I have all week. The joints are fine (no humira next Monday either) -well, I say fine, they are no worse than they usually are at the end of the humira wedge, and gawd knows I'm beyond the thin bit now! :smile: I am not using any sticks indoors due to sheer bloody-mindedness (some people pay to have pain inflicted, I get it for free!) my throat is still lined with barbed wire, I keep clearing my throat as if I am about to make a speech, the temp is like a yo-yo, all in all I am not a happy bunny. DD
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    good morning dear.. I do hope that this thing hurries up and buggers off for you. You've quite enough to cope with.

Feel better soon.

((((((((((((((((((( :grin: ))))))))))))))))))))

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi DD
    Sorry you are feeling rough..if that is the right word...suppose you could come up with some others....fingers crossed you get some relief in the next few days..
    Can you come with me to my docs...he is a stand in...and I could do with you spitting at him ...im chicken you see... :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Hope you feel better soon. At least the medical student won't forget you in a hurry! :smile:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    In future, H&S will demand that medical students are issued with protective clothing known as anti-DDs.

Sorry your throat's doing the barbed wire thing. I hope this is it's last fling before the anti-bios kick in. Sheer bloody-mindedness is good. Very DD. Sweetness and light would be unnerving. I am thinking of you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The bloody-mindedness got me to Tosces and back, and then wiped me out big-time stylie. Still coughing fit to burst but the temperature is settling, mostly thanks to the cocos. I'm about to eat my third orange, the vitamin C helps. At least there's no eczema to show for this over-indulgence! DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I knackered myself driving to the supermarket for that orange? It was ghastly and I have four of the sour horrors left. The oranges from Siansbriz were gorgeous, but went to Tosces as it is nearer: I wish I had made that extra little bit of effort. Serves me right for not trying. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You did try.

You may be responsible for some errors but the quality of Tosce's oranges can not be laid at your door.

Try the revivifying stuff instead. Qulaity control tends to be better.
    Steven Wright