? 4 you, is OA related to menopause

Options
dotty123
dotty123 Member Posts: 122
edited 24. Sep 2011, 14:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, sorry I have not been about lately, but I am not feelin myself at the moment. Hope you giving Arthur a good bashing :eek:

I want to ask the ladies a question, so please guys leave the post unless you are really interested in ladies bits and bobs.

I am 43 ( just ) and it has been mentioned that I could be pre-menopausal :???: I am so not coming back a woman .. it's one thing after another here. Anyway cutting the story short, I have the odd night sweat and have had for a few years, but no-one has ever really taken any notice of it when i have mentioned it. Well I also have a coil , which was put in place when I had a ovary removed 2 yrs ago, now I am having problems with it, so I had it removed yesterday. The nurse said my hormones will start to change straight away. Well last night was the night of horror, I sweated and I was soaked through all night, the bedden too... eekks I am mortified..

The other part of the question, I believe OA can also be a sign of menopause and so now its all linkin up to me..

Just how much more is my body supposed to go through, it's so unfair, my hand's are knackered, my body clock wants to retire early , I am depressed and on anti-depressants .. what else should I expect ???

Anyone feeling the same

xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't know if OA and the menopause are connected but I empathise with the onset of it. It's horrific.

I had an ovary removed when I was 42 and about three years later the whole hot flush thing began. I was refused HRT due to the arthritis meds (I have an auto-immune version as well as OA) but I wasn't bothered as I wanted it over early - why delay the inevitable? I won't lie, the following six years or so were utterly miserable. Night sweats, day sweats, but I got through and you will too. At night I slept on a bath sheet, wrapped my pillow in a towel and kept a hand towel at the side of the bed for mopping down. During the day I carried a fan and a couple of dry flannels for mopping down/up. The sweats became worse with the effect of the oral steroids I was taking but I reasoned it would all pass with time and it has.

If you are still depressed despite the anti-depressants then it might be worth talking to your doctor about changing them. I am so sorry, it is not an easy time for you. Rest whenever you can, keep up with the dullers to help with the joint pain etc, and I wish you well. DD

PS Just because it took six years for me does not mean it will be the same for you: just like everyone's arthritis, everyone's menopause is different.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dotty123
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I agree with getting it over and done with, but just shocked from little sweats to massive ones, thought someone had chucked water all over me last night xx not very sexy is it for the hubby lol
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Being sexy for the OH went out of the window years ago, about the same time as his being sexy for me disappeared! :lol: You may well find that the level of sweats fluctuates but do try the towel options - they are easier to wash than the bedding. It is a miserable time, I hope yours does not turn out to be a total nightmare. DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi also started early but am on hrt due to higher risk of ostioperosis (did i get that right bones that break easy) but gp did say periods do affect arther so the change must as well val
    val
  • dotty123
    Options
    WONDERFUL.........

I am coming back as a man...

xxx
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi dotty,

I don't know if OA and menopause are connected but I also started early.
    I was 48, just had really eratic periods so Doc done a blood test and then confirmed it so was lucky to get HRT.
    Ihave been on it now for 12 years.
    I really do feel for you as last year when I was in hospital for 8 weeks on and off I ran out of HRT and they didn't have the ones I take.
    My god the hot flushes were a nightmare.
    Also lately even though I am still on JRT I have been getting mini hot flushes.Like you I wake up in the night dripping!
    I too am not coming back as a woman!!
    Can you not have HRT?
    I wish you well and hope you fell better soon.
    Anita.
  • dotty123
    Options
    Hi Anita I shall be seeing what my body does over the next few weeks and then seek the hrt route, don't want my bones any worse than what they are.

xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Dotty

l have a wee bit of information here having been with a friend while she was going through IVF. Gist of it is that the average time for menopause in this country is 51-52 and we were told that for UP TO 10 years before we can be going through the perimenopause.

I hope things settle down - my ex SIL had the meriva (is it ???) coil fitted a month ago and is suffering with sweats because of it - she is 42 in November.

Love

Toni xx
  • dotty123
    Options
    10 YEARS ........... NO please !!!

So o.k I am early for the menopause, does this mean it could be over and done with or is this pre-menopause and then another 10 yrs ontop max !!

I've only just turned 43 yrs of age. Would be nice to have this over and done with by the time I am 50, then I watch my friends go through it.

Last night wasn't so bad, it was a clammy night and I made sure I had a fan on.. told the ole man he can freeze :)

If I come back I am coming back as Johnney Depp .... phoeerrrrrrrr...

Who would you come back as ?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Just as everyone's arthritis is different so is everyone's menopause. You don't know yet how things will be but don't rush into HRT - it has its own risks. DD

Come back as a bloke? No thanks. They're weird.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Dotty
    Well I sailed through the menopause, I did have hot sweats but they didnt last that long, you do get used to them has time goes on.
    The one things I was told by a nurse was why didnt I have HRT, but has I wasn't that bad I declined it, and she said that arthur might not have been this bad if I had gone on it.
    Wishing you well with it all.
    Love
    Barbara
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    dotty123 wrote:
    Hi Anita I shall be seeing what my body does over the next few weeks and then seek the hrt route, don't want my bones any worse than what they are.

xx

Well HRT is supposed to be good for the bones!
    I wouldn't mind coming back as a well loved cat like mine!!