Take steroids or not?

Options
Rosycheeks
Rosycheeks Member Posts: 84
edited 27. Sep 2011, 09:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone :grin:

I recently had a depomedrone steroid jab because despite taking Leflunomide the rheumy nurse still counted 6 swollen and 5 further tender joints and I have been really struggeling with knee pain. The depomedrone worked a treat.. for about 2 weeks :cry:
So my GP has offered my prednisilone tablets. Just a very low dose (5mg) a day. When I think of how well the depomedrone worked initially I want to take the whole box of steroids :lol: but then I think about the trouble they bring with side effects and getting off of them, and dont want to take any :|
I have not started them yet as a few days ago I started feeling ill and thought I would give my immune system a chance without anything else fighting against it. Thats made no difference as today I have been told I now have a chest infection :roll:
So what is everyones thoughts on taking steroids? And how did you get on with them please?
xxx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Only you can decide, Rosycheeks, preferably after talking it through with whoever's offering them. They are great little miracle workers but they come with a price tag. Only you can decide whether or not it's worth it at this point in time for you.

5mgs is not a high dose but maybe (I don't know. I've always been on higher.) high enough to make getting off difficult.

I love pred. I love it so much I will never take it again unless...... Last time I literally couldn't get out of bed. I knew the score. I took my chance. It worked beautifully and later I had to get off it.

No-one can judge someone else's pain and situation. I hope you make the decision that's right for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Beckyboo
    Beckyboo Member Posts: 12
    Options
    5mg was enough for me with maybe an inflammatory for bad days.

Like Sticky said, only you can decide. They are a miracle drug, but long term can have effects on your body.

I've just come off them after 10 years and didn't suffer any side effects. While I was on them, I did put on some weight, but I think alot of that was due to poor diet and depression. I did find I had alot of mood swings on them too.

I'd get your doctor to talk through it all with you a bit more. They effect everyone differently, like my mum looses weight on them.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    5mg per day is a low dose but should be enough to help. You get into the 'red zone' as it were (I believe) with doses of 7.5 and above on a very regular basis. I was put onto them in Feb 2007 as I was off everything else (apart from sulph) and I had ground to a halt with inflammation and pain. My first dose was 20mg I could not believe the difference it made but in just four hours, but after four years at various doses even I began to worry about the side effects so I am coming off them and yes, it is not easy. As a short-term boost they are ideal but they are seductive little beasts and the general feeling of being 'better' is gorgeous and quite addictive.

We cannot tell you what is right or wrong, only you can decide how rough you are feeling and whether you can cope with it or not. They are only bad if you take a lot for a long time - but they are a slippery slope methinks. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    It's got to be up to you.
    They are a wonder drug and I have taken 40mg if I have had a really bad day.
    I was on them for 10 years and have osteoporosis as a consequence.
    I have now been back on them for about 3 years beacuse I kept getting chest infections on 15mg of MXT so they cut that to 10mg and gave me 10mg of prednisalone.
    I am now on 6mg having cut it down but I have to say I am suffering and sometimes (like today) I give in and take more, today I took 15mg. I have just started Leflunomide I was hoping along with the MXT and Plaquinel this would work and I could come off them.
    Anyway good luck whatever you decide. It's difficult to resist when you are in pain.
    Anita.
  • Rosycheeks
    Rosycheeks Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hey guys thank you for your replys.
    It is very tempting to take the steroids for the relief. But I dont want to make a bad situation worse.
    I cant take them at the moment anyway until my chest infection settles. I think I will see how I go without them and just hope my knees let up a bit and that the Leflunomide still has some more to give. I have only been on it for around 4 months so its still early days.
    I have the box of steroids here. I think that helps in a funny way.. knowing if things become unbearable I can take them.

Thanks again guys

xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Rosy

Sorry the leflunomide isn't cutting it for you :sad: That is a shame. Good the jab worked but also a shame for not long enough...gggrrrr!!!!!

You will wait till the chest infection goes l am sure before trying them anyway so maybe the leflunomide will kick in after that. It is still fairly early days l think??

I do know what you mean about having something there if you need it!!!

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi

Im on Pred for an auto immune skin disease which has become inflamed...Im on 40mg at mo reducing by 10mg and off them...I did need them as it was a blood vessel infection and wasnt going away by itsefl and with me needing to attend a weddidng in the highlands this weekend then if needs must be....
    Im also dieting but still exercising so not letting the little buggers win the fat battle...To me its only a short term thing.......Not good to be on for a long time but well like said if need a wee hand in this form im gonna take it...

Elainex
    Rosycheeks wrote:
    Hi everyone :grin:

I recently had a depomedrone steroid jab because despite taking Leflunomide the rheumy nurse still counted 6 swollen and 5 further tender joints and I have been really struggeling with knee pain. The depomedrone worked a treat.. for about 2 weeks :cry:
    So my GP has offered my prednisilone tablets. Just a very low dose (5mg) a day. When I think of how well the depomedrone worked initially I want to take the whole box of steroids :lol: but then I think about the trouble they bring with side effects and getting off of them, and dont want to take any :|
    I have not started them yet as a few days ago I started feeling ill and thought I would give my immune system a chance without anything else fighting against it. Thats made no difference as today I have been told I now have a chest infection :roll:
    So what is everyones thoughts on taking steroids? And how did you get on with them please?
    xxx
  • Carla37
    Carla37 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if steroid jab hasn't worked for them? I had a steroid jab in my arm a couple of weeks ago and it didn't help. I am now confused as Doctors are advising me that perhaps I don't have arthritis as this should have worked?

Many thanks,

Carla
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The most benefit I received from a steroid injection for PA was three days. (Over the years I have had quite a few, both into my joints and my backside.) We all react differently to meds, injected steroids included, and your docs should be aware of that - like everything else they don't work for everyone. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • km89
    km89 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi,

I've had loads of depo-medrone injections over the past year and they only usually work for a max. of 2 weeks. However, I saw a different consultant the last time and he used Kenalog instead of depo-medrone in my knees, and it's been about 7 weeks and it's still working! So you could ask to try Kenalog next time you're being injected.

As for the steriod tablets, 5 mg is a low dose and it could help in the short term between starting on a different DMARD but I would try and get off them as soon as you can. They work but the long term consequences are something to think about.

x