Having a bad time

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 23. Sep 2011, 17:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I'm not having a good time at the moment - I'm in the process of getting over the damage naproxen did to my stomach in just three days of usage and, as such, have been advised to avoid NSAIDs and I could really use them at the moment! Although the doc has given me 30/500 cocos to relieve any soreness so I can sleep.

I badly bruised my left hand ring finger at work earlier in the week, and, I think, in the attempt of trying avoid using it seem to have aggravated every other joint in my left hand, especially my index finger's distal joint! So I've been needing to take the stronger cocos more often. Also my new orthotics have moved the soreness in my feet to my big toe, again especially in the left foot!

Added to this, I noticed tonight, that I have now re-aggravated some tendinitis in my right forearm! Aaarrrggghhhh!

AND I'm in the bad books at work, which doesn't help ... not with regards to my arthritis though! As a skilled worker in a manual type trade, who's only really shown symptoms of OA for the past seven months, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to continue working in my current job ... also not sure what else I can do - at 51 I'm not yet ready for the scrap heap!

Thank for reading my moan!

Scozzie

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Scozzie

blimey you are in the wars!

Firstly the new orthotic....is it to be reviewed??? Maybe an adaptation to it will help the big toe??

Secondly the bruises will heal and (assuming you get weekends off of course) the weekend is nearly here and with it come rest.

Thirdly, the naproxen hurt you belly yes? Well all nsaids hurt mine too but the doctor prescribed me some arcoxia which is a Cox2 inhibitor. It is very effective and does NOT upset tha belly!!! they are not so keen to prescribe though as it costs a wee bit more. You will need to be assertive and ask for it though - or another similar.

I do hope that once all this is put together things wont look so bleak and you will not be worrying about the 'scrap heap'

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    try to rest this weekend watch the co cods they mess with your brain a bit and you have to be carefull driving and doing manual stuff always dropping things as sure it on side and it not lol but do hope you will be feeling better soon sorry they did not give you stomache protector with them i need them if taking for long period just gone back on them as was so stiff could not move val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Scozzie
    You moan away its good therapy...like Val say be aware of the co codamols if driving...especially if you haven't used them before.
    I do wish you well and hope you feel better very soon.
    Take care
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    If you try to ‘spare’ one joint, scozzie, it very often has a knock on effect elsewhere as different muscles come into play.

If, by ‘orthotics’, you mean an insole or surgical shoe, this shouldn’t happen but sometimes there are teething problems. If it continues make another orthotics appt.

Sorry, can’t help with the work problem.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks all,

The orthotics are insoles and I was told to give them a month and if I was still suffering foot pain to make another appointment. My feet were great for the first few days of wearing them, but not anymore.

I was in at the docs this morning and had the tendonitis confirmed, as well as which I was put on low strength Ibuprofen (for now) to see how my stomach reacts and to try and give me some pain relief. Let's hope there's no problems, because it's a local Bank Holiday here in locally on Monday and we're expected to work it – for the first time in my decade with the company.

As far as the work problems go, I can't say too much on here as the big boss' wife suffers from arthritis too and may see any comments I make here :???:

Cheers
    Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Do you have a stomach protector, scozzie? Whether or not, take the ibuprofen with food.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Yes Stickey, I am on omneprozol and have been since they told me to stop the Naproxen. Prior to the Naproxen I could take Ibuprofen 400s, whether I ate before or not, without any problems.

The frustrating thing is I was once a keen club athlete, doing as many events as possible each Saturday in Summer, and cross countries and road races/fun runs during the winter months. And I would not think twice about loading up my bicycle and going for a three to four week cycle trip in Australia – it used to frustrate my ex-wife as I would do that based on general fitness and the right frame of mine (running track 10kms helps with that – 25 laps takes a certain frame of mind) without the preliminary training ... lol.

Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It must be hard to go from such fitness and athleticism to aches and pains everywhere & orthotic insoles.

Writing as someone who had my stomach really messed up by NSAIDS before they realised protection was needed with them, I'd say never take anything, definitely not anti-inflammatories of any kind, on an empty stomach.
    Steven Wright