Clever modern art

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 23. Sep 2011, 05:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
I went to an exhibition of modern art today, and there was one work of art which really made me smile. :grin:

It was a vending machine full of packets of crisps which was connected up to a computer. The computer was set up so that every time a headline or article about the recession appears in the press, it comes up on the computer screen. This then triggers the vending machine, which dispenses a packet of crisps for each article shown.

The artist had put up a notice to say that anyone could have the crisps if it worked while they were watching it. Suddenly it sprang into action as I watched, so I got a free packet of crisps. Brilliant :!: :lol:

What a great concept, and very clever too :!:

That's the only thing I've ever got out of the recession :!: :lol:

There was a painting which made me laugh too. It was a picture of Hansel and Gretel approaching the gingerbread house, as in the fairy story. But there was a big sign outside the house which said,'' Warning! This house may contain nuts! ''

The exhibition is called ''The Ha-Ha Road'' and it's about humour in art. It's on in Derby for anyone who is interested. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    sounds worth a visit but sadly wont get there glad you got the crisps will attract the kids and they will remember that val
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    It's amazing how many articles about the economic downturn there are in the press. They were all genuine ones shown as they appear, so it's a sign of the times which I think the artist was aiming to illustrate in an unusual way. He was also showing his sympathy for everyone by giving out the free bags of crisps. Technology mixed with art and humour- very clever :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Joan I love it...how original...I bet you enjoyed the crisps...contains nuts...brilliant.. :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanlawson
    Options
    It was funny that even though the sign said to take the crisps, I still checked with the attendant first just in case. She laughed and said that lots of people couldn't believe that they were being given something for free.

I think that might have been another point that the artist was making. We are so used to having to pay out for everything all the time that we can't believe it when we are actually given something for nothing.