Rantonym

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 23. Sep 2011, 12:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Arthritis is a painful and frustrating business. We all have our off-days and it is good, and a vital release valve, to have this forum where we can rant on, whenever the need arises, about the inequalities, injustices and downright loneliness of arthritic life. Sometimes, though, it is good to read the opposite of a rant so here is my ‘rantonym’ for the day.

Yesterday I had 2 routine hospital appointments at two different hospitals, early morning and mid-afternoon. The rush hour traffic wasn’t too bad, the staff at both hospitals were kind, thoughtful and friendly. They gave me time, helped where necessary, in a sensitive way which placed my feelings at the forefront rather than an urge to get things over and done with quickly. There were a lot of (so important) little laughs both with staff and fellow patients. We, the patients, all helped each other in our own, individually limited, ways. The doc listened to me and explained exactly why we should just leave things as they were right now. How did I feel about that? Fine, thank you.

Between appointments I visited the medical museum, had a delicious coffee, and learned how my life might have been in my great-grandparent’s generation – to quote Hobbs(?) ‘nasty, brutish and short’. For my asthma, I would have boiled, dried and ground down a toad; my double-sprung, memory foam mattress would have been a few filthy rags on a damp floor; arthritis didn’t feature – I guess no-one would have married me and, as I was so unproductive I’d probably have starved to death. Or TB or childbirth would have seen me off.

Back to the cafeteria for a delicious lunch, before appointment number two. This meant I didn’t have to cook in the evening so we could slob out with beans on toast on our knees. (Well, the plates were on our knees.) We got back to find the crate of wine had arrived. (I can report that Sauvignon Blanc goes well with beans on toast.) A kind friend who knew they were only routine appointments rang anyway to check all was OK. There were emails from two other friends. There were even some cherries left.

End of rantonym. Thank you for reading.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    what a lovely day exhausted me just reading it and beans on toast with real butter my favorite food
    val
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I enjoyed reading that. The first paragraph described exactly how I feel my life has become.

However, it is the unexpected kindness of people that makes your day. I have a friend who pops in to see me and we have a laugh and a catch up. Another friend sent me a card as she had not seen me for a while.

I also remember it is also up to me to keep in touch with people and if sofabound, send an array of texts to touch base with friends. Little things but enjoyable.

We watched the american x factor last night and the lads and I enjoyed talking about the contestants and judges. We had a giggle at the mad ones!!

I think the upside of arfur is it has given me time and taught me to enjoy small pleasures, my kitten, a basket of flowers etc

Thank you
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Strewth! You got plates? :shock: Oooooh, posh bird alert! :smile: We too have plates (anuvver posh bird, innit?) but despite that Mr DD still prefers to drop/spill/smear at least 50% of his dinner down his front, poor old dear.

I am glad to read you had a lovely day and that museum sounds wonderful. I am just returned from Tosces, I needed more oranges and milk and another form of liquid which I find most revivifying. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Sounds like you had an eventful day..The museum sounded interesting too.I went with my son to the one in birmingham few weeks ago and it was a real insight,When i was younger and i went and never really found it interesting..It was funny being on the recieving end of my son whispering loudly.."come on mom i'm bored now" :lol: while i am engrossed.

I am smiling today as i have been up town to get father in laws,partner and brother in laws cards and bits.Was actually able to walk around without my sticks..woo hoo..had limp and a wobble but i didn't care i was free..Am feeling sore now but have put my feet up with a cuppa..

I reckon i am a posh bird too with plates, but i'm extra special as my plates are all unique in there own way, we all have different ones( i have broke so many that i have a collection of odd dinner sets) A unique speciality that cannot be brought anywhere else.. :lol:
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh traluvie, you is posher than me - all mine match. That made me giggle, thank you. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Val – There is no butter except real butter. Toast & butter are one of those happy combinations.

Suzygirl – You are a very wise lady. I couldn’t agree more. Tack on ‘the unexpected kindness of people’ (and we arthritics provide others with many such opportunities) and things could be a lot worse.

DD – Posh bird?? How dare you? That’s fighting talk. Hey, what is it with blokes? They have no arthritic hands and perfectly flat chests (as far down as the beer gut) but they still fail to find their mouths. For Christmas I shall buy Mr SW one of those rigid plastic bibs which curl over into a sort of slop bucket at the bottom. In fact it would probably save time & effort if I just served his meal in it.

Traluvie – I think the plates thing probably makes you semi-posh though I am no expert in these matters. Fantastic that you hit the town stickless, if not limpless and wobbleless. You have ‘put my feet up with a cuppa’. Er…..could you talk me through that, please? It sounds both difficult and impractical.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have threatened my beloved with the slop bib on a number of occasions. I think it's a mulit-tasking problem: eat, chew, watch telly, drink juice, it's beyond him. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have threatened my beloved with the slop bib on a number of occasions. I think it's a mulit-tasking problem: eat, chew, watch telly, drink juice, it's beyond him. DD

:lol::lol: I dont need a bib I got a bra :lol: Don't ask :oops: :lol:

juliepf x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Sticky

Good to know the hospital staff were good to you and that both appointments although took up alot of your day seemed to go well.

Was a good idea to fill in your time with a trip to a museum, I love the part of the museum that has a cafe. :grin: Especially if the coffee is good :grin:
    Normally thirsty and hungry work reading all about the history.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    julie47 wrote:
    dreamdaisy wrote:

:lol::lol: I dont need a bib I got a bra :lol: Don't ask :oops: :lol:

juliepf x

Sorry, Julie but I do have to ask. Am I to assume that, before eating, you dress Mr J47 in one of your bras.
    Steven Wright