The Humira Travel Challenge!

Options
rissfish
rissfish Member Posts: 22
edited 30. Apr 2012, 17:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all...

Been quite a long time but still a few names I recognise!

So, after about 6 months of wrangling with the NHS, I've finally been approved to go on Humira, so yay to that! The injections arrived last week and the nurse came to teach me how to use them on Tuesday (well teach my boyfriend as I was too chicken to inject myself as I've been given syringes instead of the pen...the pen is coming thankfully)!

Anyway, here's the problem. I'm going on a long holiday to South Africa in 3 weeks and I really don't know what to do about the constant refrigeration requirement. The healthcare at home nurse told me that one of her other patients said they got an insullin travel cooler from B**ts. I've called their customer service, and they no longer sell these anymore.

Has anyone got any idea where I can get something similar? A long search on the internet has proved fruitless (unless I get this special case from France for about £70)!

Ideas would be very much welcomed.

Thanks,

Rissfish

Comments

• Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

You will get used to injecting yourself I did, this time last year I would never have dreamed of it but its like second nature now.

I had same problem when we went away, firstly you will need a letter from the hospital stating you on the injections and that you need to take them on the plane, you also need to contact the airline before you fly, you will need to take them in a cool bag with lots of ice packs etc and ask them to put them in the fridge on the plane.

While you are there you really need a fridge to keep them at the right temperature, the only one we could find was about £80 which ran on car battery or mains but we were only going to France and had a fridge in our room so manged withouth it.

Just couple of things to consider one is do you have to have live injections to go to South Africa because I don't think you should be having them while on Humira, also would it be easier to put off the Humira until you returned from your holidays as it could cause a lot of problems. I hope you get sorted. xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    As you haven't really started it yet and do not know how you are gong to get on I would think it better to leave it completely until you get back. Humira does need a constant temperature, I don't know what the standard of healthcare is like out there or whether your insurance would cover treatment for any reaction. Please think very hard about this, rissfish. Very hard. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rissfish
    Options
    Hi both,

Have already had my first injection of Humira so too late to go back.

South Africa doesn't have Yellow Fever, so no live injections needed (I'm up to date on everything else and in fact, had Yellow Fever vaccine a few years ago).

I travel a lot for work anyway, so I'll probably need to find a solution at some point...so if any ideas and places to buy them, private message me!

• rissfish
    Options
    Oh and standard of healthcare is very good in SA I'm told (by the other half who is from there). Got very good travel insurance for all this too thanks for the concern DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It sounds as tho you are going to have to invest quite heavily with a fridge - have you contacted the airline to ask them if they could store it for you somehow during the flight? I must admit if I was going abroad I would leave mine at home. Life has enough hassles with the crutches etc! :smile: Have fun and stay healthy. DD
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I'm with you DD. I wouldn't bother travelling with my drugs, as you say too much hassle. I took a some methotrexate injections to Scotland last summer and it was difficult to keep it all cold and ended up not using any of it as I got ill!
  • salamander
    Options
    my healthcare company told me about Frio when they supplied the drugs but when I rang Frio to order a bag, they said it was not suitable as it only keeps the drugs at normal UK room temperature (18-26 degrees.) It won't keep them between 2-8 degrees. Their bags are designed for insulin users travelling to hot climates. drug company told me I could reactivate the bag throughout my journey but, apparently, not so. When I rung the pharmacy to check they said I shouldn't have been recommended it and a cool bag and ice packs will keep drugs cooler and was a better option.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    When I began humira I was told that it had to be between 2-8 degrees with no flexibility either way. With enbrel it was a different story, that did have some leeway but as I only went to Norfolk when on it it wasn't an issue. As with the meds we are all told different things. Bizarre isn't it? Just where is the consistency on anything? DD
  • rissfish
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for the tips...

I've checked out Frio and it looks like it will be much too warm for Humira. But maybe Salamander I'll just try the old cooler bag trick with some ice packs and keep the syringes insulated from the ice packs. I've found some other medi-travel packs online but it looks like everything is sold in the US! Boo!

And will definitely give the airline a call and check if they can refrigerate for me. Oh and if I could avoid the injection, I totally would, but we're over there for two and a half weeks so no avoiding I'm afraid (they were free flights so no leeway on the dates...still, I'll take that)!

Thanks all

Riss
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Don't forget the sharps bin. You may also need a letter from your doctor explaining why you are carrying needles. (If that was mentioned before I apologise.)
  • salamander
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    That's not what they told me :shock:

I put my Frio in the fridge the day before I travel to get it to the same temperature and keep it in my backpack but put it on the floor of the aircraft as that's the coolest place.

I was told by the Healthcare pharmacist that it didn't affect the Enbrel if the temperature exceeded the maximum temp so long as it was cooled again on arrival and not allowed to do so again. I've not gone over the max yet even on a 13 hour flight, using my method.

Are you saying you didn't go over 8 degrees after 13 hours?
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    I found some special ice packs from Lakeland that once frozen stayed that way for 48-72 hours. They could be heated or frozen. I took them with me when I went to the States and they successfully lasted for 2 days travelling in the summer heat. Sorry, I can't remember what they were called.

Most airlines won't allow you to use their fridges for medication I've found.
  • rissfish
    Options
    Hi all...because it took me so long to find anything useful, I thought I'd share my tip for anyone who comes across this and needs the same information.

I've found this product: http://www.chillerz.com/ which was developed for transporting organs and tissues internationally. I have ordered it for myself and a special medical travel cooler with it (was £24.99).

I'm going to test it out and measure the temperate and everything before I fly so will let you all know the results!

Thanks for the help.

Marissa
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Bumped up for Bighair.