Leflunomide... anyone had any side effects

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 26. Sep 2011, 07:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
My consultant has put me on this drug, and I' ve been taking it for 10 days or so.
Anyway, since Sunday night ( I was up all night with stomach pains ), Iv'e had a few problems... here goes
1.. Stomach pains.
2.. My lungs feel sore, under the ribcage, and gullet area.
3.. My breathing is just not right.
I wen't to my G.P.and he's prescribed, Lansoprazole, which haven't made much difference, and I'm a bit worried.
Is any one else on this drug, or has been on it, Alanthemanc

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Alan, oh dear. I took lef a few years ago and was confined to bed wth crippling headaches but that was all. I am so sorry, I hope things ease soon but if not please get in touch with your rheumatology team. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Rosycheeks
    Rosycheeks Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hey :grin:

I take Leflunomide. Have been for about 4 months. The only side effects I have had has been high blood pressure and my white cell count and platelets falling. Other than that all is good. Well it would be if it was working :lol:

I hope things get better foe you

xx
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    D.D./ rosey.
    Yeh, although Methotrexate has not done too much for me, Iv'e never got any side effects off it. Now, he has dropped the Metho to 15mg, and in conjunction, put me on Leflunomide.
    Ive' had nothing but trouble since Sunday, and it is a bit worrying when your breathing becomes like this, as Iv'e never had this before. To me, it seems too much like a coincidence. Alanthemanc
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You read the in-the-box leaflet yet? I don't have one to hand but if it mentions breathing problems then please get in touch with someone pronto. I am used to breathing trouble (asthma since I was 7) so wouldn't be phased but if you aren't then yes, summat's wrong. DD
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    D.D.
    Yeh, just read that myself on the leaflet, that leaves me in a quandry until Monday morning as I bet everyone has gone to Devon in their holiday homes for the weekend.
    By that time I could have the lungs of an OAP, I might stop taking these things over the weekend, and if I have an arguement next week - **** it. Alanthemanc
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi alanthemanc

I am on leflunomide 20mg daily and methotrexate plus others

I have been on lef for a number of years with no side effects.

Sorry you are having trouble with the med and I hope your symptoms settle down soon.

Juliepf x
  • Rosycheeks
    Rosycheeks Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hey again :)

Leflunomide has a very long half life which means even if you stop taking it now the effects will/can be felt for up to 2 weeks. So maybe if they are making you ill or you are very worried you should try and see someone sooner rather than later? :|
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Rosy/ Julie.
    Thanks for your advice..... Alanthemanc
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Alan,
    Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having.
    I've been on 10mg for a week now and am happy to say no side effects yet.
    How quick did the side effects start?
    Anita.
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    tiggernut
    About 2 days after taking them. Up all Sunday night with stomach pains, and do you know when you know somethings not quite right........ thats how I feel.
    Short of breath at times as well..... I'm going to give it until Monday, and decide what to do. Thanks anyway Alanthemanc
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    tiggernut
    About 2 days after taking them. Up all Sunday night with stomach pains, and do you know when you know somethings not quite right........ thats how I feel.
    Short of breath at times as well..... I'm going to give it until Monday, and decide what to do. Thanks anyway Alanthemanc

Hope it improves soon.
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Just a quick note, to say I'm 70% better than I was a week ago. I can only put it down to a reaction to intialy being put on Leflunomide. Lets hope it stays like this, as I would tollerate 70%, nobody is ever going to get 100% results from an arthritis drug. Thanks, Alanthemanc
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ooooh - side effects dropping away and arthritis improved? That's not too bad at all, Alan, I am pleased to hear this! Give Carlos a pat from me and Daisy. DD
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    D.D.
    Yeh, not 100%, can still feel stomach pains, but nowhere near as bad as last week, which was BAD.
    Always nice to hear from the Ipswich orator. Alanthemanc