Power Plates for exercise

Options
cinders65
cinders65 Member Posts: 8
edited 26. Sep 2011, 11:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone tried these? With having OA and Fibro I can't exercise and someone suggested one of these. They are quite expensive so just need to check out if it will be worth it before I go ahead and buy one.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think I'd check this out with a physio first. Gentle exercise, as advocated in AC's booklet on it, is fine but machines are another matter. Not all are suitable for all of us and arthritis affects us all differently.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I'd definatly ask a physio, as you'd be doing it at home without anyone to advise you. I went to the local gym that has a link with my GP and she referred me to the medical trainer. Its more than just the cost of the equipment that is at stake here, its your fitness and you don't want to injure yourself, or make your condition worse. :|:wink: Who knows, the physio might come up with a cheaper idea for exercise.
    Sorry to sound negative, but better safe than sorry. :|:wink: I hope you can soon get fitter, with some advice! Love Suexx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    All of us can exercise, but maybe, as arthritics, we need to adjust our views on what constitutes exercise. I follow AC's ideas and they do make a difference. Power plates though? Yikes! On bad days I can barely cope with my little stepper device I got from Sainsbriz in a fit of madness! Seek some professional help on this, I think that would be wise. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Have you thought of a beginers Yoga class or something like that?
    I've done yoga but, that was before athritis, but some of the people in the class were people with medical problems and they told the teacher so she adapted the exercises they did so they didn't hurt themselves and she stopped them doing some things that put a strain on them. She had blocks and cusions and stuff to help people with problems doing the exercises. It's also social and you get to met people.
    I'm sorry if you don't have any way of getting to classes and think this is a stupid idea, but I just thought it may be worth mentioning, especially now, as the class tend to start at the begining of term. Hope you find something to help you, love Sue
  • cinders65
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your help and advice, I understand what you are saying.
    Some days I think I would be ok with the machine and some days not.

I am really sticking to a diet and the weight is so slow to move that I am desperate to try anything that might work but don't want to cause any more damage that I already have.

I used to go to a gym, yoga and pilates but that was before I started with arthritis and fibro
  • margareth64
    margareth64 Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Hi Are these the ones that vibrate? Cause if they are I tried them in a place here where you go on for 10 mins at a time, I found that it made my knees very sore and my hips also. So I had to give up so I would be very careful about these.
    Margaret
  • cinders65
    Options
    Hi thanks Margareth64 for that, yes they are the ones that vibrate your whole body. You start off on just a few minuets then build it up to whatever you can cope with.
    Not really sure what to do now, have had mixed advice from a few different forums
  • wannabewriter
    wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
    Options
    Hi

I have used them at the gym, under supervision of an instructor. I know the machine says you can’t do it if you have ankylosing spondylitis, but it doesn’t say anything about other specific arthritises. (arthritisi? Arthritus? Arthritum?) I would definitely go to a gym and ask them to set up a training session, one to one, and ask your physio too. They really help my fibro as my tender points are mainly in my legs and it really helps boost circulation which I find helps take out tension. But you really would need to speak to your doctor and physio first, and then make sure you go to the gym under supervision so you can learn the right technique etc.

I have found them useful, as I have OA of the knees and, while some of the exercises (such as side squats and too much stepping) can aggravate them, other exercises have helped strengthen muscles, particularly my quads which are good for knee stability.

Good luck!

WW
  • angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    Options
    I've seen ones specifically advertised as fibro plates to encourage fibromites to go. My friend does one several times a week here and she's lost a stone in just over 4 weeks using them for 10 minutes around 4 times a week I think she goes.

However, I'd want to trail is first too, as you never know how it's going to affect you, and under guidance too.

Sounds intriguing though, love to know how you get on with it.

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • cinders65
    Options
    Thanks guys, still very undecided what to do. I don't see my physio any more so can't ask her unless I am refered again and that can take weeks.
    Got an appointment with GP soon so I think I will ask him.

On the reviews of the one I thought I would get there is quite a few people with OA and fibro and other illnesses who say they have helped with the pain and they feel much better for using it.