Mealtimes - what do you do??

Options
mouseymousey
mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
edited 7. Oct 2011, 17:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, Hope everyone is doing well today.
I wanted to ask for some (more) advice please. The meds are making me feel sick for a lot of the time. I'm ok at breakfast, lunch so so but by 5pm I really don't want to know. I'd love to say I'm losing shed loads of weight, but that isn't the case. How do you cope please? I'm a veggie and I know I should have proteins, 5 a day etc etc but a lot of the time now, I just can't face food.
Thank you so much (again) for any replies. xx

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    try sucking an ice lolly helps some people. what do you think is causing it is it the meds making you feel ill you might need to see doc
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm with Val, Mouseymousey - if the meds are making you feel so ill, so constantly, you need to see the doc.

I'm a veggie too but I can't give you food advice as I don't have any problems with sickness so eating a balanced diet is quite easy for me.

Do you take all meds with food? Do you have a stomach protector?

I really think only your GP can decide where the problem lies.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Mousey,

I also agree go see the doc and wither see if you can have a change of ,eds or have some anti emetic. Like you I am a veggie and spend a lot of time feeling sick (not cus I am a veggie :wink: ) so have cut back om eating a lot... its not good for you though even if the weight isn't falling off.... me neither and it should be :lol: #

{Payback in my case for a life time of siege diets :roll:

Hope you will soon feel better flower. Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This does sound like summat for the doctor, mousey. I know that the meds all require different timings etc but I have to admit I use the hospital method - down the hatch in one go with a gulp of water. (After years of taking meds I have lost some respect for them, wrong I know. :oops: ) The GP may be able to add in an anti-emetic or perhaps tweak the dose of something and that could make the difference. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Mousey,
    This is bring all the veggies out :lol:
    I'm a vegetarian as well and going through a similar thing.
    GP prescribed anti-emetics but they did no good whtsoever so I stopped....I thought why take ANOTHER 3 tablets a day if they are doing no good.
    They think they have traced mine to my gall bladder??? All from investigations on a fractured pelvis :?: :?:
    So I'm waiting for an appointment with another consultant to see what can be done. So I'm with the rest...{even though I stopped taking the anti emetics} See a doc. I didnt think there was anything wrong with my gallbladder :eek:
    I'm just not getting my protein, or 5 a day at the minute....nor am I losing weight ...Not fair is it :lol:
    Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Mousey,
    Sorry to hear that you are feeling ill when you eat, like others have said try your Dr. anti-emetics may be the answer or he may come up with somthing else. Maybe a drink might help like Fortijuice that has all the vits in, some taste horrible though so a mixed pack first so you can pick, I like orange or tropical but that's me.
    Love
    Vonski x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Reading Vonskis post meade me think......what about slim fast ....diet drink/either powder or in a bottle in B++ts???
    As far as I know when you want to lose weight its 2 of those to replace 2 meals in the day/some snacks...either theirs or fruit or something like that and then a proper meal.
    Even if we didnt have the proper meal....they have a lot of goodness in them {got to have if you can replace 2 meals with them}.
    Typical i was there today and never thought about it for myself
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    I'm sorry Finlay but that is not always possible for those of us feeling very ill

Good luck if it works for you

Hileena
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 27. Sep 2011, 11:55
    Options
    True Hileena if you feel ill when eating it does put you off if Finlay if it was just dieting I'm sure there are easier ways. Complan may help too but anti-emetics could be best. Good luck.
    Love
    Vonski x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Couldn't agree more, Hileena. What most of us require is a wife who will shop, cook and wash up for us. Unfortunately, Mr SW is a good husband but a poor wife.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Thanks for troubling to reply. I am so glad you said that Hileena re having a 'wife'. I am my own worst enemy in this regard I know.

I won't invite anyone in the house it is such a mess and I am so embarrased to let anyone see it. (On bad days it really gets me down). I could rant so much about this.

I'm finding I do better eating dinner at lunchtime, but its a a bit of a struggle, I need to sort out my food problems.

Not easy is it? So many hidden things.
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I find i get sickly often, i also have hardly any appetite..Some days i find it hard to eat, but have to to take meds..
    I have tried drinking nurishment so i get some good inside me, but is no good on them days when i am feeling sick..
    Hope you get something sorted..I never really thought about the food thing till reading your post, maybe i should mention it to doc??
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Mousey,

Just wondering how your doing flower and leaving you a ((( ))) and a hope. Cris xx
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi Mousey,

Hopefully by now you will have sorted your eating problem out but having just gone through the same thing myself (due to having to take Tramadol) wondered if you had tried getting your meal ready in advance of when you were actually going to eat it. I found that I couldn't face eating my dinner straight after it was cooked so I plated it up ready in advance of lunch/dinner time and then micro-waved it when I felt more ready to eat it - not ideal obviously but it did help me get through the sick period. Also had a drink of water 5 to 10 minutes before having my dinner which seemed to settle my stomach a bit. I made sure that I had (waiting in the fridge) a sweet for after my dinner which previously I wouldn't have necessarily had. (Sweet I found most helpful was triffle, I must admit by choice and because of circumstances I used shop bought).

Hopefully you have your appetite back by now.

Ratface xxxx
  • pepperflo
    pepperflo Member Posts: 91
    Options
    I can relate to some of these posts, I don't feel sickly, but have no appetite, but don't lose any weight in the process :sad: wish I could, I would love to lose about a stone, but seem to stay the same, even though I probally only have a small meal once a day, and thats when my Husband makes it for me, and feel I have to eat it.
    I'm wondering if to try the slim fast, if it contains some goodness in them, just to help keep my body in balance.
    Have these worked for anyone else ?
  • hileena111
    Options
    Pepperflo
    I've just answered you on another thread.......so one more thing....I've just gone out and bought SlimFast .... :lol::lol::lol: Dont know if it will do any good but we are thinking the same :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • pepperflo
    pepperflo Member Posts: 91
    Options
    Hi Heelina I'm goinggetting some today, so lets hope it will work :lol:
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Let me know how it goes....sorry not been online today until now....7.38pm

Love
    Hileena
  • lalla
    lalla Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Sorrry you are having the nausea, I had it a lot in the early days on MXT thankfully only occ now but I found Sea bands good and no side effect as in some anti emetics, just pop them on your wrists andyou can leave them on for as long as reqd, can get them from B---s but much cheaper at Pound
    , Ginger biscuits can help and keep your fluid intake up (((())))) Take care Linda
  • hileena111
    Options
    Yes I agree with the ginger biscuits and the other thing is lemonade. especially if you pour it out and leave it to go a little bit flat.
    Used to help the kids when they were little so I decided to try it

Love
    Hileena
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, My Mum used to suck mints to help with nausia, thats about 30 years ago though! She had AS and found the old painkillers made her feel sick. If I feel sick, (I get migraines a lot) we have suger free ginger beer in the frige and sipping that helps. My husband gets nausia from his diabetes meds and his GP gives him a tablet which is basically pepperment oil. He said its made a big difference. Just a few ideas I thought I'd pass on, hope you find something that helps you. Do go to the doc, though.
    Love Sue xxxx