Help! Sock gutter blues ...

Options
drmike789
drmike789 Member Posts: 9
edited 29. Sep 2011, 10:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Help! How do I get my socks on? I had a THR three weeks ago. I have a sock gutter, but at best it gets my sock half-way onto my foot, and nowhere near the heel.

Suggestions welcome.

With thanks, Mike

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I gave up socks years ago but there must be a knack to these gadgets - hopefully someone who uses one will be along at some point to help. Week-ends tend to be quieter on here so please check in every now and again for replies. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    As a veteran of these things, drmike789, I can tell you it's part knack, part socks, and part gutter.

There are different ones on the market and some are much easier than others. I find the ones they currently give out in hospitals next to useless. Look in disability aids shop (real & online) & see what's available. In fact you can probably get them from Amazon now.

Some socks are also harder than others to get on. Soft & pliable are the best. (Diabetic socks - try the disability shops again) are easier but I just buy soft, cotton, soft-topped ones from Cosyfeet now. (Google it)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Mike

I can only suggest soft top wide socks so you could probably use the floor (carpet to grip) and wiggle your foot in.

Hope you find a solution soon
    Juliepf x
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    If you can manage to get it onto your toes, you then just push your foot along the floor and it slides nicely onto your heel.
    You do need carpet. If not, and you have some of that grippy stuff (sort of rubbery material) put some on the floor and again push your foot along it.
    I find it works a treat.
    Good luck,
    Anita
  • judyannereeve
    judyannereeve Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I've had a recent bilateral THR and tried one expensive sock aid which was no good but this cheaper three-fingered version one works really well for me for both thick woolly socks & thinner cotton socks. Many places sell it but this is the link I used...

http://www.essentialaids.com/dressing/sock-and-stocking-aids/terry-cloth-sock-aid.html

Judy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Tha one looks good Judy

had a heel bit too :smile:

Thanks

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Looks as if you've got loads of info.....the hospital didnt even give me one of those when I had my THR but hubby put mine on for the 6 weeks {as well as those passion killer things {teds}
    But i think out of all the info you've got from the others you should be able to get it sorted
    Love
    Hileena
  • drmike789
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Seems I'm not alone with this one. I managed to get my sock on yesterday, hopefully not by luck ...

But I will buy the Terry cloth sock aid. It looks better than the one I am using presently.

Regards, Mike
  • drmike789
    Options
    An update - I received the sock aid today. Not bad at all - it got the sock over the heel, which was the big failing of the other aid I bought. With practice, this should do the trick.

Judy - thanks for the recommendation.

Kind regards, Mike
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Result! Thanks for letting us know, Mike.

I might get one myself. My old one is now mostly sticky tape.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright