Itch

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 3. Oct 2011, 16:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

My fingers (hands, wrists, knees, back and shoulders :lol: ) causing me alot of pain just now. I've had an itch on my right hand at the base of my middle finger, on and off for the past week. Does anyone else get this over a joint? It's a strange itch though as it's not relieved by scratching the skin :shock:

Thanks,

Magenta x

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It means Magenta that you'll be coming into some money (right to receive) ....scratch it on wood and its got to be good as the old saying goes :grin:

Seriously I can't remember my joints itching like that, if I get an itch it's usually satisfied by a scratch.

Sorry I can't help.

Luv
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Linda,

I was thinking about you only 10mins ago! How are you?

I didn't win the lottery tonight but maybe next week :grin:

This itch is very odd, only lasts about 10mins but it comes and goes.

Magenta x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I'm good, thanks for asking. :grin:

I'll PM you tomorrow when I should have more time.

Keep scratching girl!! :wink:

XX
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • bailey123
    bailey123 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi

I've been getting lots of itching & blisters under joints. I'm on Leflunomide which has caused severe dry skin on hands so this may be the cause.

Sorry i can't provide an answer but this may be something worth thinking about.

H x :smile:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I sometimes get itches that can be relieved by scratching. I sometimes get itches due to dry skin that can be relieved by using E45 or any moisturising cream and I occasionally get itches that can be relieved by changing my brand of washing up liquid/laundry powder etc. The only even vaguely arthritis-related itch I’ve ever had was from Gold Injections.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    I've had a reaction from a few meds along the way. As a result I have Hydrocortisone cream on repeat prescription. Its the only thing that really works for me. I don't use it every day but its nice to know its there.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    I was also going to say you are coming into money :lol:

I sometimes get that itch too but the joint is very prominent on that hand and lumpy. I just rub it gently it on the corner of something or with my hair brush.
    I also get itchy skin but that is due to dryness.

juliepf x
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    mmm, in the past I've had short periods (10 minutes or so) of itchy fingers (joints) and hands with no associated rash mainly before my OA became noticeable and therefore diagnosed ... I had never though of associating it with this damn disease. So food for thought for me, I hope it doesn't bother too much!
    Take care
    Scozzie
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Magenta i get an itch at the base of my finger that also causes it to swell very quick had to have my wedding ring cut off a few years ago so i am extra carefull now and take it of quicker , i have never thought about Arther being involved but will mention it next time i visit x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi all,

I don't have any dry skin. It's always around the same joint. I will also be bringing it up with the rheumy-when I get my appointment :lol:

Thanks,

Magenta x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Is it on the palm side or the other? So many things can cause itching, it's hard to narrow it down to just arthritis. I spent years scratching myself raw and I remember the utter misery of it. I hope it eases soon, Magenta. DD

PS Could it be summat else 'disguising' itself as an itch? A nerve -related thing, perhaps? I dunno, just trying to think of possible causes but not being a doc isn't helping!
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi DD,

It's on the top of my hand. I dunno either :wink:

Thanks
  • Ilovemystaffie
    Ilovemystaffie Member Posts: 29
    Options
    I`m on a washout from infliximab at present.i had so many side effects which outweighed the benefits of it, i stopped.

I`m suffering itching at various places on my body,feels like i`m being crawled over and bitten by bugs,but i`m not!
    Hopefully when this infliximab stuff is out of my system,the itching will stop.
    Rheumy wants me to try another anti TNF,after having trouble with both humira and infliximab i`m considering giving it a miss and living with the pain that i`ve got used to over the years.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Magenta :grin:

Yep... I get itchy joints too. It feels as though they are itchy inside which I know sound daft. :oops: but that's how it feels. No amount of rubbing relieves it and it just disappears in it's own time. I've thought that it tends to be in joints that are active with the PA.
    let us know whether you get any money from yours !! :lol:

Irisxx

ps. Ilovemystaffie... please don't give up . I'm now on Tocilizumab which is my fourth anti-tnf/ biologic drug and it is working for me without side-effects. So maybe the 'right' drug for you is the next one you try. :wink:

Irisxxx
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi All,

Thanks again for all your replies :wink:

Dorcas, that's exactly what it feels like. That it's itchy on the inside. I've also been thinking for a while that I may have PA and it's very near to the joint that's giving the most problems. I also get the same itch on my toes.

The dr today seen my swollen finger and my swollen ankles. Also noted that I had pain in toes. He's referred me to a rheumy and I think what he's seen today will be in my notes for when I eventually get the appointment. We'll see.

Thanks,
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Me too especially across my shoulders and arms. E45 helped me, I wonder if its a nerve thing. Now my neck and thigh are itching thats the power of suggestion, I think! Or cats feas...... I'd better get the Front Line out for me! (he cats flea killer) :lol: Sorry, weird sense of humour - I don't have fleas! Love xxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    UNtil I read this post I had never really thought about itches seriously, but afterwards, when I was sitting watching TV, I realised that my joings did have a sort of itch that if I rubbed, felt sore, and at the outset of this a few years ago I used to have terrible irritation in my neck and shoulders sometimes.

May not be anything to do with arthritis but looking back and at the moment I do get funny itches. and before the pain started really unpleasent itching in the place it started! Love Sue
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Sue,

I got the itching again in my right hand yesterday ( at the cinema) and I was scratching like mad but the itch wouldn't go. Before bed, my toes on both feet were itchy and today they've been sore. Now my right knee is the same-aaaaaargh!

Magenta x