Advice please on voluntry work

Options
suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 29. Sep 2011, 18:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have become a volunteer at my local library. All i do is make up a tea try in my book group, set out chairs, get the dictionary, signing in paper and join in with group. Someone else leads it. In art group i get out 3 boxes on trolley and put it out on table, get wheeled tables. The chairs put out water and brushes and attend the art group. someone else leads it. I have sent off for crb check as i wish to read or do craft with children. The ot at council says its therapeutic work i will need a risk assessment but no problem.
I have recently filled in a mobility form as i got for a short time entitlement for help getting round for depression and panic attacks. I attend courses and now don't have attacks. My depression med were reduced then had to be put back up as i was taken off too soon in the opinion of one doctor in practice. I have applied for benefit again but don't think i will get it. The volunteer work i feel safe supported and they have helped rise my confidence.
I worry 1 they will think me ok and take my other benefits off me. i won my incapacity battle. I know i have it for a short time as it will change to esa which is means tested. Hubby has good job so i am sure wont get that.
2 i don't know how many hours i can work at mo i am there 5 hours which i don't see as work as art is hobby etc.
I do not feel well enough to work properly anymore and what they are doing to all of us is wrong and will push people over the edge.
I mentioned over phone to lady filling in form about the voluntry work do i need to send letter to inform them formally i do this.
Any one know rules on therapeutic work ?
thanks joanne :|
Joanne

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joanne,

Sorry but I cannot help you with this one, but I do think that it is a good plan for you. Especially so as you will be doing something that you will enjoy being part of.

Would the CAB be the best port of call for you? It might be worth a phone call to put your mind at rest.

Good luck with it all,

I x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Firstly, well done to you for overcoming so much, it is a credit to you Joanne and I hope that you will be able to maintain this progress.

Secondly, I don't know what to advise. I can understand why any form of work could be seen as a contra-indication to one's benefit claims. I agree with Ironic, contact your CAB and seek their advice. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Joanne,

Like the posters have said above me, I think it's amazing you've overcome so much and that you are volunteering. It sounds as though you find it very rewarding and I'm sure they appreciate your help. I suffered terribly with depression and volunteer work gave me a huge boost and led to me getting offered a job. It can give so much and allows you to give so much too.

I'm not sure what benefits you get but I'm positive you are allowed to do voluntary work. 5 hours doesn't sound like enough to cause an issue. Could you phone the job centre anonymously for advice? Sorry I couldn't be of more help! x
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    I don't know if this helps, but I was in a similiar position. Was being treated for depression and not really getting anywhere. I was desperate to find something I could do. Eventually I went to the Job Centre to one of their disability advisers to ask about voluntary work. He said that there's no problem as long as you're not doing anything that you've said you can't do on any claim forms. I do a day and a half a week at a wonderful place called Cherry Tree Nursery which is run by and for people with enduring mental health problems. They're aware of my limitations. I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel now. I can't even bear to think how I would be feeling, mentally, without my voluntary work. I was suicidal.
    Ring the job centre and ask if you can have a chat with one of their advisers. Good luck with it.
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joanne,

Tis good to see you and yep I do owe you a pm... I promise... I really promise, I will do one tomorrow!

I think that Sue is right as long cus your allowed to work with dla but I don;t know much about the benefit side I am afraid but if thats what happened to Sue it should be an across the bored thing.

Leaving a (((( )))) and a hope the family and the father lot as well as the lovely Yasmin are all fine? Cris xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi suncatcher
    I have no advice but I am pleased that this voluntry work is helping you.

Hope that none of your benefits are taken away, that would be so unfair.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Hi sorry for not replying sooner. The Cab check has come through for reading to kids at library. I also rang to find out on therapeutic position to The benefits people. and they said it depends what is on what ive written. The library said they will help with letter to benefits people. This i hope will cover me. Thank you for the advice and lovely comments i have really appreciated it. from joanne :grin:
    Joanne