Update and councilling!!!

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 29. Sep 2011, 04:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, thank you all for the support and listening to me moaning on! :oops:
I am not in so much pain today, but feel very tired dispite not doing anything much. I asked my GP if I could have some councilling and last week I had a assessment and the councellor has taken me on its Cognative Behaviour Therapy, I felt I wanted to take about some of the negative thinking and that things I enjoyed have now become something I can't face, like parties and theatre ect. Also I will be able to talk about something that isn't arthritis related. Don't know how it'll go but I am becoming somewhat of a recluse and I don't like it!
Anyway thats all for now, just an update. :wink:

Comments

• suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Woodbon
    Glad u are not in so much pain today. I am sorry the dark cloud has got you too. I have gone to the cognitive therapy found them helpful. I now do not have panic attacks which i previously did. If it happened i know what to do and can recognize symptoms. This is thanks to cognitive therapy so i know it works.
    They reduced my meds once but it was too soon. I am back up again. I can understand how it feels. I am glad you are doing these courses they will help.
    The counseling will help. I have had one lot but when i go back to speak to doctors again they will refer me again. I hope this will go well for you also. I do a little volunteer work. Ive put this on another post as im trying so hard to get better. It feels like a big hill. All i can say is keep going and trying and get as much help as you can. I hope things start to go the right way for you. from joanne
    Joanne
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi it sounds like you are doing all the right things and well done on you for getting this far it takes a lot to see how far down you are and to look for a way to cope so be proud you have made a big step on the road to recovery or coping which with arther is part and parcel of same thing val
    val
  • woodbon
    Options
    I need to do something positive about the way I'm feeling. At the moment I've got into feeling panic and upset then feeling up when treatment is suggested and then going down again when it all comes to nothing and the docs pass me on. Its making me doubt myself or feel that I've got some awful disease, and going round in circles. Its hard to put into words how I feel. So, I decided that I must at least try and break out and learn techniques to cope. This sounds like a lot of self centred rubbish, but I expect you know what I mean. I may never be able to do the things I used to, but I need to find the strength to move on and make the best of what I have. So, here goes, I'll jump in and see if I sink or swim!!!
    Love Sue
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello woodbon,

I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with things. Speaking to your GP was a huge step and a great achievement. CBT is a fantastic form of therapy and sounds perfect for you as you recognise your negative thinking patterns. I haven't talked about it much on here but I started having mental health problems aged 16 and have been through various types of therapies and tried many different medications. For me, moving forward involved challenging the negative thought patterns and pushing myself. I attended CBT groups and found it practical and liked being set 'homework'. You seem motivated and this is really important for CBT. This most certainly does not sound self centred. Depression aka the big black hole can be really awful.

Sending hugs! Please keep us updated on how it goes. :) x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Sue you have made the first move and it takes courage to do that i wish you well with it i am sure it will really help you cope well done xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • woodbon
    Options
    Thank you. I've already got my first homework! I'll let you know how I get on, of course. I have to wait to hear where the first proper session will be,, as the councellor works between several local health centres. Love Sue. xxx :wink:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Thats was probably the best step you could have taken.
    It will probably do you the world of good.....if nothing else you saying you are becoming a recluse....at least it will get you out and talking.
    I think its a great idea.
    I was given a questionairre about depression from my GP and some leaflets to read but I havent got any further than that.
    Good luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Good on you, its not easy but now you are moving forward, and dont forget we are always here for you, whenever you want to talk or even rant.
    Wishing you well with it all, and believe me it does work.
    Sending you massive hugs (((((())))) and love xxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Good Girl you Sue!!!

l am very proud of you.

My Eldest Charlotte has had it too to try to change the way she copes with stress and in theory reduce the frequency of her migraines.

Good luck and l will be thinking of you

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Sue

Wishing you well and sending you hugs ((((())))

Take care
    Thinking of you
    Juliepf x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the support and kindness, it really does help to know that I've got people thinking of me. My first session is a workshop on what CBT is all about. Its on Thursday 29th morning, so not long to wait. I do feel a bit nervous but it'll be fine once I start! Love Sue xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Sue
    I'm sure you will be OK....you'll be fine.
    I'm very interested to know how it goes....please keep us updated or pm me

Love
    Hileena
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Hope all goes well for you on 29th and you get back on top of it all, a lot I know after all that you have been through.
    Sending love and hugs
    Vonski x
  • woodbon
    Options
    Thank you so much, its great to be able to share this with people who understand. My husband is fantastic, but its not fair on him, or good for us if I meet him with a long list of problems as soon as he gets in the door and I don't want to be that sort of person either, which is very important, if you want to change. Well thats my uneducated guess, anyway! :roll:
    Hope everyone is OKish!!! :wink: Thanks again, love Suexxxx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Sue,
    Good luck for tomorrow, I am sure you are doing the right thing. It is a big step but it is a positive one. So well done you.

Lv, Ix
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sue
    I will be thinking about you tomorrow...dont forget we are always here...and like you say it is good to get it all off your chest.
    You take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Just dropping in good lucks for the morrow and you r so doing i-the right thing.

I have had loads of counselling over the years and its taught me to find my own way of accepting whats wrong with the body and whats gone wrong in my life. Without it I would be much worse than I am and well its a good move.

i use a huge amount to visualization and remember that your imagination can be your best friend in how you deal with things.

Let u know how you get on please. Love and a ((( ))) Cris xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Sue

Just wanted to call in a send calming vibes for tomorrow and say a big well done for asking for support. So glad they can see you quickly and I hope you soon have a good rapport with your Counsellor and can feel you are making some progress. Well done again and good luck. Let us know how it goes when you can.
    Chris
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Just wanted to add my good wishes for tomorrow.. and to say well done for taking what is a big step in dealing with how you've been feeling. :wink:

I'm sure with your positive outlook and determination that the CBT will be helpful :grin:

Strength and (((hugs)))

Iris xx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Sue
    Just another post....wishing you all the best for tomorrow

Love
    Hileena
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005