DICONAL

Options
lyndsey311075
lyndsey311075 Member Posts: 10
edited 13. Oct 2011, 12:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
After trying different kinds of meds to help with nightime pain my GP has just given me Diconal, I have never heard of it before but I'm only to take one at night, anyone have any useful info on it, the chemist had to order it in so a wee heads up would be great. :P

Comments

• resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lyndsy,
    I've just looked in the latest BNF (British National Forumlary) which is the "bible" that doctors prescribe from. The latest issue is no 62 (September 2011) according to this edition - Diconal is listed as "discontinued".

I'll have a look in an older BNF to find out a bit more about it.
    SOrry I couldn't be more help but I'm sure someone else will be along with answers for you soon.
    Jan
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    HI Lyndsy,

Just googled it and found the information pasted below:

Dipipanone hydrochloride belongs to a group of painkilling medicines called opioids. Opioids mimic the effects of naturally occurring pain reducing chemicals (endorphins). They combine with the opioid receptors in the brain and block the transmission of pain signals.

Cyclizine belongs to a group of medicines called antihistamines. The exact mechanism by which cyclizine tartrate prevents nausea and vomiting is not fully understood. It is believed that these medicines block histamine receptors which are found in various places in the body, including an area in the brain known as the vomiting centre. The binding of cyclizine to these receptors results in the prevention of the brain sending nerve signals to the stomach that would normally result in the action of vomiting. Cyclizine is also responsible for tightening the muscles at the entrance to the stomach which physically helps to prevent vomiting.

Nausea and vomiting are common side-effects of dipipanone, and for this reason cyclizine tartrate is included in this medicine to reduce the incidence of these effects.

This preparation is used to relieve moderate to severe pain associated with a variety of medical and surgical conditions.
  • lyndsey311075
    lyndsey311075 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you any info is better than none thanks for taking the time to look info up :grin:
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Not heard of it sorry :sad:

but I hope it helps :grin:

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Sorry I havent heard of it either but I hope someone can help

Love
    Hileena
  • EdTheberton
    EdTheberton Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Diconal is a deep pink tablet marked F3A. It is still available from old stocks, although production of the brand was discontinued in the summer. New stocks will be labelled "Dipipanone and cyclizine tablets BP," with exactly the same chemical composition.

It is somewhere between Sevredol and Palladone IR in strength, but much less constipating or nauseating. It is very addictive when taken in large doses but one tablet a night is roughly equal to two 30/500 co-codamol; the main difference is the cyclizine content.

The other opiate side effects- xerostomia, mydriasis, mild pallor, drowsiness- may be experienced as usual but will not be severe at this dosage.