advise

Options
kmr
kmr Member Posts: 108
edited 28. Sep 2011, 03:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
my daughter is currently awaiting an appointment to start on infusion,s as she has had reactions to both the injected drugs, she has read in a magazine about a girl who had also tried various treaments and had problems with them all, so she decided to stop taking all the medication and visited a dietician she seems to have been well since, the question is that my daughter is now only on methtroxate until she starts the infushions , she is thinking off stopping taking the mtx and seeing how she feels before she starts the infusions just wondered if any off you had tried this at all
x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I wish I could tell you what I suspect you'd like to hear, kmr. We've all chased rainbows in our time and, if they really worked, I think rheumatologists would have gone out of business years ago.

The reason why these stories keep cropping up is because arthritis can go into remission, especially in young people, and when it does, it's so easy to attribute that remission to diet or Green Lipped Mussel Gonads or faith healing or whatever.

If your daughter comes off the methotrexate she may well fell little or no difference for some weeks. Just as it takes several weeks to get fully into the system, so it takes several more to fully get out again. This doesn't mean to say it was doing no good.

My advice would be to take the advice of the rheumatologist. I'm no-one to talk. I've done my fair share of rainbow-chasing in my time but now I stick to meds & surgery, a sensible diet and exercise. I hope the infusions work well for her.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Kmr, I have no real advice only to say to your daughter not to believe everything she reads. This girl in the mag may not have the exact same condition as your daughter. I would keep taking the methotrexate until I was told by the rhummy to stop. She may need the help of meth along side of the infusion.

I hope someone else comes along and gives you better advice.
    I also hope she gets her infusions soon

Juliepf x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    No further comments, kmr, but I'm just bumpimg this up in the hope someone else might see it and have some suggestions.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I haven' t had the same expereince as your daughter. However prior to my illness I was deeply into 'alternative' medicine. Aromatherapy, reflexology, homeopathy. I used to cook from scratch, make my own soups etc. We ate 7 - 10 fruit and veg a day never mind, 5. I walked the dog, cycled, swam, played footie with the lads. You get the picture.

During this time, I always used 'proper'meds and docs as necessary. When I got ill I lost my faith somewhat as any alternative therapy made me so ill. Now I think you get sick, you get sick. I refuse to listen to the various wacky health cures people tell you about. Even on TV and in magazines, false claims abound, unfortunately.

I still try to eat as healthily as possible, I enjoy a massage and using essential oils. However without meds, I would not be alive today. I would love not to have to take them, but it is necessary.

Docs hate to prescribe toxic meds, and will go to great lengths to avoid prescribing costly meds. If your doc is saying she needs to try it, she needs to try it.

If an alternative diet or whatever was available your doc would be the first to prescribe it, it would save the NHS millions.

I have to agree with the others, with arthur their is no 'rainbow'.

I really hope the meds work for her.
  • kmr
    kmr Member Posts: 108
    Options
    :smile: thanks for all the replies, i do not know what i would do without this forum xxxxx