Humira vs. Enbrel

Options
km89
km89 Member Posts: 32
edited 29. Sep 2011, 12:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Just come back from my first anti-TNF clinic to see if I'm all set for starting the new treatment and I've been given two options. Either Humira or Enbrel. The nurse said both have the same efficacy but ones once weekly and the other once fortnightly.

So, which one should I have?! Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Katie

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's a difficult call Katie :wink:

I don't think I'd be able to chose which to start on .... and in fact it was rheummy who made that decision for me.
    I was on Enbrel at first and found it really good and painless to inject. :!:
    I had to move on to Humira and had a good result from that in terms of controlling symptoms for 4 years. :grin: Though it does sting a bit when you inject it. :???:

Each has their qualities... the most important factor is whether it will work for you; catch 22 ...as you won't know that until you've been on one of them.!

Good luck with making the decision. :wink:

Iris xxx
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Can't tell you which can only say I am on Enbrel inject once a week and it's great. Hope it works for you I wasn't given a choice which one. X
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've had both. The enbrel for me was twice-weekly injections which were basically painless, the humira is fortnightly and very often not painless. None of us can advise, but whichever you opt for I hope it works for you. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi there,

Sorry I cannot help as I have not been on any yet. I just wanted to wish you well whichever way you go and hopefully you will find a big difference in very quickly.

Lv, I x
  • scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 159
    Options
    i love humira, it works a treat and is pretty much painless
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Katie,

I can't advice you but just wanted to wish you good luck with which ever and so hope it will really work for you. Cris x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I had this choice too and eventually I chose Humira as it was an injection once a fortnight rather than weekly. I thought that sounded easier as I'm not keen on injections.

Humira has worked for me and I am so used to the injections now after 3 years that I hardly notice them.

On the other hand once a week is easier to remember and some people like a meds top up within 7 days rather than 14.

Happy choosing
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Fuschia
    Fuschia Member Posts: 13
    Options
    My son has been on Humira for 2 years now, and for him it has been wonderful. It has really helped his pain and mobility. Good luck with your choice :smile: