I am home from having surgery

Options
cloud9
cloud9 Member Posts: 385
edited 28. Sep 2011, 12:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Thankyou all for being there. Hope you weren't too cramped. The surgery ended up being a bit different from what I or my surgeon expected. When he visited me yesterday evening to report what he'd done, he said, "You got a bit more than we'd bargained for! :eek: ". He ended up only partially fusing the big toe as he was worried about the lack of flexibility and how I'd cope. So he did a tendon transfer and a partial fusion. He said that 'IF it works', it will have been a very clever thing to do!! Boy do I hope it works!! I have to be 6 weeks completely non weight bearing now :sad: which I know I will find difficult. I have a K9 scooter, crutches and a zimmer frame so plenty of choices. Off to the good old Red Cross tomorrow to hire a wheelchair. I had a terrible night though. The pain was almost unbearable, despite the oramorph, codeine, paracetomol, ibuprofen and a Diclofenac suppository. All they did was give me a terrible upset stomach. Think I'm sorted now. It's been so much better since I got home.
Sue (Cloud9)

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sue that lovely to hear you back at home, nothing like your own home eh?

Fingers crossed then that your consultant has indeed done a very clever thing and works out for the best for you..

Make sure you rest and take it easy..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • cloud9
    Options
    Thankyou, I will.
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Six weeks sounds like a long time when you are at the beginning of it, but think back to six weeks ago and that period of time has flown past. No wonder your tummy was a little upset - too much of the pain dullers methinks, what a cocktail! I am sure you will be feeling much better now you are home and in your own surroundings - I hope you have a better night's sleep tonight and that things are nowhere near as sore as they have been. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Cloud9

Glad you are now back in the comfort of your own home and pleased the surgery went well.
    Time to take it easy now for a while but I am sure the 6 weeks will soon pass.

Take care
    Thinking of you
    Juliepf x
  • cloud9
    Options
    Thankyou xx
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    Hi Sue.
    your doing well its good having the forum after my fusion i think i would have gone mad 6 weeks is a long time to keep your foot up but its worth it in the end.
    once the 2'nd 6 weeks come its not so bad.
    take care((((((((sue)))))))) joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Lets hope your surgeon is as good as he thinks, although I'm sure he wouldn't have done it that way if he wasn't sure about the outcome.

Good luck (I'm on the 6 weeks non weight bearing as well) and take it easy
    x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I do hope it works for you hun. Got fingers and toes crossed :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Six weeks does sound like a long time but it will pass and you will be so much better for it. I'm glad you are home. Be careful of the meds cocktail. Use food.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • cloud9
    Options
    Thankyou all so much. I didn't take any pain stuff since 7am today when I had oramorph. Just had to give in and took 1 tramadol.
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    It's not 'giving in' after an op, Cloud9. It's called being sensible.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Glad you home all done and its not giving in.... feet hurt they really do hurt!

I have to say i have never had an op yet where they have done what they said they would do but often when they are in there thy can see a better way of doing things and with luck this will really work well for you.

Hey you sit quite and I will get in and muck out your pockets..... my lot make some mess :wink:

Hope you have a good and very successful recovery and leaving you a ((( ))) cris xx