Ship Shape

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 30. Sep 2011, 06:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

As many regulars will know ive been dieting from 110kg now down to 96kg, target weight is 92kg for operation....I had hit plateau about 6 weeks or so ago but now that passed, my sister even gave me a pair of per una velvet trousers she hardly wore, they are a size 18 (okay elasrticated waist) but they fit me like a treat now.....Can shop in places like Next, etc where couldnt have done so before...
But the difference is havent had pain for ages and im wondering if when i go back to surgeon will he decide my knee isnt as bad as it was....I still get the burning, crunching under my kneecap and down right side of knee so its far from great but the cardio exercises im doing in gym now (20mins treadmill, 15 cross trainer, 15mins exercise bike and 30 half sit ups with weighted ball)....Im far from a gym bunny but i can do more.....
Overall im feeling pretty good apart from auto immune flare up which is dam annoying more than anything and its keeping me on prednisolone which i dont want to be on for any peroid of time...

Elainex

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I was always told that weight loss would ease the pain but did not find that to be true (and that is hindering the whole diet thing at the moment) but I think you are finding a double (if not triple) benefit from what you have achieved.

1. Less pain. This could be due to weighing less plus . .

2. Stronger muscles. You are achieving things with your exercise programme I can only dream about but your over-all muscle tone must be improved, and this will have the knock-on effect of supporting your knee better.

3. Psychological boost. You look better and feel better, both outwardly and inwardly.

Well done Elaine, keep going girl 'cos you is doing fine! :smile: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    blimey elaine you are doing well.
    seems like the excersise and diet are doing you a whole lot of good. :grin: I am really happy for you.
    Keep it up
    Juliepf x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi DD

Well yes me lugging around 14 less kilos is good for me and even though before I was saying was happy enough it is nice to be able to see benefits....
    My muscles too must have made a re-appearnce after decades out of action AWOL!!! They will never be Popeye sized but they are flourishing welll...
    The downside is the AID cropping up again angrier, but the body is a weird thing!!!
    Thanks for your lovely message....

elainex
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I was always told that weight loss would ease the pain but did not find that to be true (and that is hindering the whole diet thing at the moment) but I think you are finding a double (if not triple) benefit from what you have achieved.

1. Less pain. This could be due to weighing less plus . .

2. Stronger muscles. You are achieving things with your exercise programme I can only dream about but your over-all muscle tone must be improved, and this will have the knock-on effect of supporting your knee better.

3. Psychological boost. You look better and feel better, both outwardly and inwardly.

Well done Elaine, keep going girl 'cos you is doing fine! :smile: DD
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    HI Julie

Yes i am seeing benefits of my efforts, so happy to as well....I feel next year I can blossom again and get recovered and back working.....

Hope you are well?

Elainex
    julie47 wrote:
    blimey elaine you are doing well.
    seems like the excersise and diet are doing you a whole lot of good. :grin: I am really happy for you.
    Keep it up
    Juliepf x
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    Well done Elaine. You're doing so well.
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Well done Elaine. I suppose you will have to judge the knee nearer the time as sometimes damage only shows in x-rays. I expect your mobility has improved so it is feeling more able.

Glad you are over the plateau now.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Thanks Sue....

Elainex
    cloud9 wrote:
    Well done Elaine. You're doing so well.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Yeah well obviously the pressure is off re weight but the damage is still there, maybe I can live with it, who knows.....? I think TKR is still on the cards but you never know....

Elainex
    tkachev wrote:
    Well done Elaine. I suppose you will have to judge the knee nearer the time as sometimes damage only shows in x-rays. I expect your mobility has improved so it is feeling more able.

Glad you are over the plateau now.

Elizabeth
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Elaine

you've done wonderfully well :grin: well done for 'keeping the faith' and going on after you hit that plateau. :wink:

your surgeon must surely be impressed by your weight loss. :?: :!:

I know you've been waiting a long time for what will be life changing surgery for you; just wanted to say that the reduction in knee joint pain is really good... but may not alter the surgeon's assessment as any damage will still be there on x ray for him to see and base his decision about surgery.?

You have done so well Elaine and I am so pleased for you. :grin: It will also give others encouragement and hope....which is no mean achievement!

Iris xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I can only echo what the others have said, Elaine. You have done really well and are now reaping the benefits. I expect the orthopods will want new x-rays to determine how much damage there is. Pred does mask so much. Keep plodding away at it. It can only be good and it's nice that you can now wear the clothes you like.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    You have done so well, Im with Iris on this, your surgeon will look at the xrays,he will also see if you still want to go ahead.
    I honestly think that your knee is being stabilised with the muscle...you keep up the good work, and see how you are when you get that appointment.
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Iris

Yes its been hard and I havent had a 500cal diet to follow, ive done most of it myself and taken control of my own destiny which im proud of.....
    My surgeon hasnt replied to my gym sheet but of course he treats hundreds of people like me so why should he, he will be impressed when I hopefully see him next year...
    The damage is still there, i had crunching and pain this morning but the muscles which are now stronger are supporting the weak joint which is some compensation...
    Also If i can do it, someone who has anti gym etc, anyone can lose some weight youve got to get your mind set to it....

elainex
    dorcas wrote:
    Hi Elaine

you've done wonderfully well :grin: well done for 'keeping the faith' and going on after you hit that plateau. :wink:

your surgeon must surely be impressed by your weight loss. :?: :!:

I know you've been waiting a long time for what will be life changing surgery for you; just wanted to say that the reduction in knee joint pain is really good... but may not alter the surgeon's assessment as any damage will still be there on x ray for him to see and base his decision about surgery.?

You have done so well Elaine and I am so pleased for you. :grin: It will also give others encouragement and hope....which is no mean achievement!

Iris xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    HI SW

Yes i am feeling lots better and the damage is still there but ive made the whole joint stronger, can only be good?
    Prednisolone is not great, i want off it but my auto immune disease is scary even though ive had it for a few years now....

Keep plodding on...

Elainex
    I can only echo what the others have said, Elaine. You have done really well and are now reaping the benefits. I expect the orthopods will want new x-rays to determine how much damage there is. Pred does mask so much. Keep plodding away at it. It can only be good and it's nice that you can now wear the clothes you like.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

Yes will have to see what he says and what you say makes sense too...Obviously the damage doesnt just repair itself all on it own but ive made the whole joint leaner, better.....Hoping now to be there early next year at Wigan...

Elainex
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    You have done so well, Im with Iris on this, your surgeon will look at the xrays,he will also see if you still want to go ahead.
    I honestly think that your knee is being stabilised with the muscle...you keep up the good work, and see how you are when you get that appointment.