Specialists etc

sandysue Member Posts: 25
edited 29. Sep 2011, 12:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I really don't know how to explain what I'm thinking so apologies if it doesn't make sense. After reading many of the posts on here, it seems that most of you see specialists and the like or attend pain clinics etc. I have only ever seen my GP, yet I have cervical and lumber spondylosis and OA in my knees, a few others joints that hurt buy haven't been investigated yet and I'm in loads of pain all the time. Sometimes I feel a bit stranded and don't know if I should be insisting on more help, I have a lovely doctor who I have known for 25 years and I don't want to go against him, but should I? What do you guys think ? What are your views and experiences with this?


  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You could ask to be seen by the pain clinic. I am sure your gp would be happy to refer you. I am seen by a rheumy for my inflammatory arthritis but not my cervical spondylosis.

    You may find that an ortho would be able to help you possibly??

    Even physio would help you with exercises and other things. Speak to your gp.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,558
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi sandysue, GPs are the ones who deal with OAers, they can help with pain relief and maybe anti-inflammatories, exercise and diet etc. Thos of us who write about rheumatologists and rheumatology helplines are those with an auto-immune based version of arthritis. They are the specialists that deal with those, and the meds they require, GPs generally do not. (My GP for example, cannot prescribe the methotrexate and humira, I have to receive that from my rheumatologist at the hospital, but she can prescribe the sulphasalazine etc). I am now wondering if spondylosis would come under that heading . . . . . . I am honestly not sure.

    Your GP is the one to refer you to a pain clinic, I believe, that does not have to be done via a hospital consultant. He can also refer you to an orthopaedic consultant (they are the ones who decide about joint replacements etc if applicable). I hope this helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00

    The others have said what i would have said too..
    As you get on with your GP maybe it may be easier to say that you are struggling and have heard people mention pain clinics and ortho's then see if they think that you would benefit from that..Not fair to carry on being in so much pain..I know we all suffer with pain everyday but if we can kind of get that pain under control it can make things more bearable..x
  • sandysue
    sandysue Member Posts: 25
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Lots of advice there thank you. I will have a word with my GP and tell him how I'm really feeling, not sure about the physio though as I tried that years ago and I'm sure he was a sadist :evil My knees have been getting worse lately so I think seeing an ortho for that might be a good idea :smile:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,104
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi ss
    I was in the same position a year and half ago, wondering how on earth do people get to see specialist, so one day I just walked into my GPs and told him, I was in so much pain that I didnt know what to do with myself, and that started the ball rolling.
    First it was the pain clinic, then later on a rheumy...but to be honest he wasn't that interested, then I had MRIs done on my back.
    So you go to see your GP, and just imagine that we are all behind you.
    Good Luck..