Getting there :)

weejean
weejean Member Posts: 346
edited 8. Jul 2014, 13:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone

It is now four weeks since my surgery. I am beginning to get more active, the pain is minimal, mostly muscular, my right leg is great but the left is still very stiff. I am trying to do my exercises every day and have physio once a week, it will just take time for the muscle stiffness to subside. I am nearly finished with the blood thinning injections (only five days to go) and have another four weeks of the surgical stockings, to be honest I hate the stockings and they nip at the back of my knees. I still cant sleep very well and have found that sleeping on my recliner chair is more comfortable than my bed. There a lot of things that I will be able to do again after I see my surgeon for my check up which is on 3rd November. I am walking well with my crutches and have even had my first few steps with no walking aids at all. It is going to take a bit of practise as I am not very confident. I have used crutches for 25 years and feel really weird walking without them, its funny how the mind works. So all in all I am starting to feel more positive and am looking forward to getting out and about again soon. I am quite bored and still get frustrated and tearful at times but it soon passes and I give myself a good talking to. I am so lucky that my surgery has been successful and I cant wait to do all the things that I have never done before. I hope all you guys are well and thank you all for the support and advice you have gave me over the last month. Big hugs to you all xx
Big Hugs
Jean xx

Comments

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi Weejean i think you are doing brilliant and are looking to the future , its understandable to be a bit nervy about walking with out the crutches , i hate the stocking i only have the one :lol: i think its natural to be a bit tearful to after an op gentle hugs xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hi weejean,glad to hear things are going well,im sure its normal to feel the way you do,you have been thru a lot,thinking of you.Mig
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Jean :grin:

Well done you, am so pleased to see things are going well for you in such a short space of time. Am sure it has it's frustrations at times but do hope each day gets a little better for you. We will count down with you to the removal of the awful stockings so do keep in touch and let us know how you are.
    take care. Good to see you. ((( )))
    Chris xx
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Jean,

Glad to hear you are up and about..You must be so happy..
    You just take care and don'y be turning into superwoman now lol..
    Sending hugs(((((X)))))
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Hi Jean,
    Glad to hear it's all going well.
    Anita.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Jean,

Its so good to read your doing well and you should be very proud of your self :grin:

Hope you will soon be even better and good luck for the 3d of November... will be in your pocket for that one flower and he will be pleased with you as well! Cris x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    You champion, Jean. :grin: You are doing well and so pleased to know that the worst is now over and you are going from stength to strength. Of course it will be strange minus the crutches. The weepiness is only natural too, that will pass. You have been on a roller coaster so your hormones are all over the place. I have found that after ops I do not sleep as well as I usually do, for quite a time. You will get there. Keep on, keeping on as you are doing.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Weejean

You seem to be doing brilliant, and I am pleased for you.

and well done for walking a few steps without your crutches. Soon you will be walking without them at all :grin: gosh, you will wonder what to do with your hands :lol: perhaps a new hand bag to hold eh?

Keep up the good work and good luck with the app on 3rd nov

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • weejean
    Good Morning

Thanks Berty, Mig, Chris, Traluvie, Anita, Cris, Elna and Julie for all your support and good wishes. I think the new handbag is a great idea and will suggest this to hubby later on :grin:

I am feeling rather energetic today (I think I may be drinking a wee bit too much Lucozade) and have done all my exercises for the morning. I am going for a nice shower before my son, mum and sister arrive for a nice visit. Hope you guys have a good day. Sending hugs to you all xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Well done Jean.

Glad to hear your news.

Hope you continue to do well.

Kath x
  • weejean
    Thanks Kath, I really feel that I am improving now. For a while I thought I was never going to feel that way. Have a good day :grin:
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Hello jean,
    So glad to here you are doing so well, long may it continue.I'm sure you will find it strange without crutches but eventually you'll love it, I'm wondering how I'll feel not wearing glasses after my cataract op after wearing them for 46 years. I'll let you know how I get on with the ironing board.

Sue x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi there Jean :grin:

so pleased you are making good progress and sounding so much stronger too. :!:

Enjoy your family visiting today and accept as much pampering as comes your way. :wink: you deserve it after that double op :!: .

Iris xxx
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    This time next year you will wonder what all the fuss was about As you leap lightly over fences trot up mountains and leapfrog pillar boxes Seriously I felt all you are feeling in the first few weeks after the op But now Magic Our Maurice Nil Desperandum :smile::smile::smile:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,396
    Well done Jean, you're doing all the right things. It must have been very scary to walk without crutches after relying on them for so long. You are a very brave lady that's for sure. :grin:

I'm also looking forward to you doing all the things you always wanted to do. Keep us posted.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Jean,

Wonderful to see you posting again. wow you have done really well, you should be very proud of yourself, I know we all are.

I hope you had a lovely afternoon with your family,
    Hugs,
    I x
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Fantastic progress Jean, You're an inspiration!

Marion x
  • weejean
    Hi everyone

I had a great day yesterday with my family, we had a good chat and a laugh. Its very true that laughter is the best medicine. Having a lazy day as the weather here is terrible, torrential rain and strong winds, definately not going out for my usual walk round the garden.

Sue I bet you will feel naked without your glasses, I know I would. Dont overdo it with the ironing, take things easy xx

Iris I sat back and let everyone run after me yesterday, it was great xx

Tonesp, I am so looking forward to getting out and about. Might not leap the fences or trot up mountains but leapfrogging the pillar boxes sounds like fun xx

Linda, I just need to work on my confidence but I am sure it will come with practise xx

Ironic and mp1952, thanks so much for your comments, it really means a lot to me xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello weejean, please accept my apologies for not popping in before now but what with one thing and another life has been, well, not as usual. I am so pleased to hear how well you are doing, what fabulous progress you are making and I am so pleased for you! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi weejean,

You're doing remarkably well.
    There's a whole new world waiting for you very very shortly.
    Well done.
    xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi Jean
    I am just bumping this up to let you know I am still thinking about you, and hope your recovery is still going well,
    You really have been an inspiration to many, hope to hear from you soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,396
    I, too, was wondering about you Jean. Hope you're still making good progress. I did find I had days when I seemed to be treading water but do think that we often don't realise how far we've come.

Sending best wishes to you.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Weejean, I hope you are well too.

I hope your recovery is still good and that you managed the lep frogging of the pillar boxes :grin:

Take care
    Love Juliepf x
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Glad to hear you are doing well.xx
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Vaulted any pillar boxes yet? :lol: