Hello from Gloucester

SusieG
SusieG Member Posts: 30
edited 9. Oct 2011, 16:14 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

After years of knee pain I have been diagnosed with arthritis in both hips, much worse in my left, and am just starting to look at the options available to me. My consultant has said he will do a hip replacement if I want one, but would prefer more conservative treatment at this stage. Either cortisone injections or continue with pain killers.

As a fairly active 50 year old who lives on pain killers I'm still in shock and trying to get my head round having nothing wrong with my knees, I was hoping it was a cartilage problem that would be easily fixed.

I'm sure most of you on here have far worse problems than mine, but at the moment I am new to this and need to try to work out how best to treat it. Any advice, ideas will be greatly appreciated. One option that is definitly out of the question is to sell my horse.

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    On no account sell the horse, SusieG. Our friend skezier, stalwart of the forum, would never forgive you. I’d find it tough too because, although I never rode as an able-bodied person, I came to Riding for the Disabled with two knee replacements and a hip, carried on after the 2nd hip was replaced and only gave it up, reluctantly, when one of the replacement knees needed replacing and the surgeon got a bit iffy about it. I loved both the riding and the contact with the horses some of whom I’d count among the best physiotherapists I’ve ever had.

Enough about me – you are understandably struggling to understand that (a) you’ve nothing wrong with your knees but (b) you have with your hips. That’s a lot to take in. They call it ‘referred pain’ when you feel it in one joint but it’s caused by another. It happens more than you’d think.

Everyone’s different with what helps and what doesn’t but I’ve had great results with cortisone jabs – both those they put directly into the joints and the generalised ones they stick in your bottom. They don’t last forever but are wonderful while they do. Hip replacements are a very successful op (I have to say that, don’t I?) too though. There are a lot of us ‘hippies’ here.

Just thinking out of the arthritic box – would it be worth having a word with your local RDA group because there are different saddles that might help? My hips loved the warmth and contact of riding with just a fleece but I never got beyond trotting.

If you’ve any specific questions just put them up on Living With Arthritis forum. People on here are really friendly and helpful.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum great place for support and a few laughs. If your passion is your horse don't sell it, you may be slower doing stuff or have to change a few things but stick with it. Xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi There

Welcome to the forums from me :smile:

no don't sell your horse!

That's not an option....

A lot do manage very well on the cortisone jabs periodically and painkillers the rest of the time. I can see his point - work up to the surgical options.

Do have a look around the forums and join in wherever you like you will be made welcome.

Love

Toni xx
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi SusieG,

Welcome to the forum..
    As the others have said DON'T sell your horse, that is your passion and will keep you going, something that you could still do but with adaptions..
    It can be hard at first getting your head around things, but in time it does get easier as you learn to adapt and listen to your body..We will be here to support you along your way..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • SusieG
    SusieG Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for all the positive replies, as I said I'm new to all this and trying to get my head round it all. But feel better for knowing I'm not alone.

I won't be selling my horse, apart from anything else he is my best friend and great to talk to. Funnily enough the biggest problem with riding is getting off.

I will be using the forums, I think in the short term will stick with pain killers and perhaps try cortisone injections.

Thank you all agian.
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    HI and welcome,

I bought a lovely new horse about 2 months before I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis - he's kept me sane. When I had an appointment with the OT lady, I told her about my horse riding and how it hurt my hands - she was so lovely and made some special supportive splints to wear while riding.

Definately don't sell your horse - it would be like giving in and letting the arthritis win. I'm convinced they know when you're in pain - mine can be really naughty some days but on days when my hands or shoulders are hurting - he's fab, doesn't pull at all and is such a dream to ride.

Keep doing the things you love xx