Hi all

peterwicks
peterwicks Member Posts: 19
edited 12. Oct 2011, 04:35 in Say Hello Archive
My name is Peter Wicks...Pete to my friends,I am the carer to my wife Sylvia who has suffered with RA for over twenty years.Her main medication is Methotrexate and Steroids...but soon after taking the Methotrexate she felt very sick indeed...this went on for many years until one day we were having fried tomatoes on toast, at the same time she was taking her Methotrexate...Guess what! the feeling of sickness stopped completely...that was some eight years ago.With some basic research I isolated the likely chemical in the humble tomatoes that was stopping her sickness which is called Lycopene...which I found you could buy in any good Herbal shop...the most common strength is 10 mg.She takes the Lycopene pill half hour before she has her meal for the day,we have soup on that day..then the main meal then takes her Methotrexate then her sweet(rice pudding)so her Methotrexate is surrounded by food
and for nearly twelve years her sickness has never troubled her.We have told this story to her RA doctor at Addenbrookes Hospital and he seemed intrigued

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there, Pete and welcome to the forum. I, too, take methotrexate but, fortunately, have never had sickness problems with it. I always take it with food. Others, who do get nauseous with it, take it by injection.

The ‘tomatoes’ thing is interesting, in part because tomatoes also form part of the ‘nightshade’ group of vegetables which some believe are bad for arthritis. I know others swear by different foods – ginger, peppermint etc- for helping with sickness.

I think you’d need a scientist to explain why lycopene might help but it’s certainly interesting.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • peterwicks
    Hi stickywicket

As a retired R&D technician in the world of electro mechanical and semiconductor technology from the worlds first brain scanning machine at EMI in Hayes in Middlesex to Xerography development and crystal pulling technology in the Cambridge Science Parks, I find it second nature to ask the question "why" is it that the skin of the tomatoes when heated up doubles the strength of the chemical Lycopene.The humble tom is now the subject or frantic research, cos the scientists have found a wealth of new chemicals lodged inside this little red chemical factory.Some years ago we told a doctor who was looking for a subject to do his thesis for a PhD about the power of the tom to stop chemotherapy sickness..to our suprise he is now doing his research..the mind boggles.lol
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well, that sounds pretty scientific to me!

Why don't you post this on the Living With Arthritis forum, Pete? Many more people look in there and it might be of interest to them - especially those who get nauseous on meth.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • peterwicks
    Will do my friend and thanks for inter reaction with me.....
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum, good idea, of SW's, to post on the LWA zone, this is more of an introduction zone and not nearly so many members call in here. There is a large audience on the LWA zone though. :smile:

Look after yourself and your wife,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi peter,

Welcome to the forum..
    Look forward to seeing you around
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Welcome Peter, maybe we will see both you and your wife on LWA soon. :smile:
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg