Am I jut being over sensitive?

Options
waggytail
waggytail Member Posts: 9
Hi folks and thanks for letting me join. Been reading these forums for a while and it's lovely that people who are living with 'athur' are taking time to give support to other people. Thank you.
My story is that I have had OA for years, first one knee then the other. Now it's my neck/shoulders, hand and arm. At Doc yesterday, who is now testing me for RA and has signed me off work (first absence in almost a year).
For the last few weeks I have been really struggling at work. It can be very fast paced and I do my best to keep up. Had a bad weekend, struggled in yesterday with the intention of keeping the head down, getting through the work and just get to the end of the week. Feeling very depressed also.
When I phoned in this morning, my line manager tells me that she was going to speak to me today anyway, as she is fed up with my 'moods' and it's creating an atmosphere. After I related what the doc said, she tells me that I should have said I was in pain (she is well aware I have some degree of pain most of the time).
I am quite upset as although I know I was quiet, I got on with my work, including dealing with people and answering phones in a pleasant and professional way. On a good day I am quite a happy person, and like to have a few laughs but yesterday I was only just holding it together.
Should I have to announce every morning that I won't be the class clown today because I am in 'x' or 'y' amount of pain?
I also discovered that she made a remark about it on a social network. No specifics but very obvious it is me she is referring to.
Am I over-reacting by feeling upset?

Comments

• CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, in my opinion you are not being over sensitive. What this woman is doing is bullying. Has she not heard of employment laws and dda???
    If i were you I would go above her and make a complaint. Ask for occy health to do a work place assesment and also contact dwp regarding work adaptions.

Hope this helps.
    Clare xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Lovely choice of name waggytail it made me smile.

I think what your boss is doing is discriminating because of your illness and is a form of bullying, you have been given good advice - keep a record of any unsavory conversations. actions and witneses you may wish you did in the future.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    why should you be full of it all the time we have a 40 year old who is worse than a teenager and i try to keep a smile on my face even through pain but she has awfull mood swings and gets away with it . the thing is you have done your best and now you need to get the help you need and if she did post about you there are laws about it and she is on sticky ground val
    val
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Well said Val.

Do look at employment law if you can via internet. A very good employment firm is working law solicitors. You maybe able to get some advice from her.
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • waggytail
    waggytail Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your very practical and sympathetic replies. I will start to keep a note of everything said, although I don't want to cause too much fuss at this stage as we are a very small staff.

Val your comments struck a chord. I was just thinking of all her 'pmt' weeks I have had to deal with, and the months of agonies and dramas when she went through a breakup with her partner. I was thinking of other incidents with other members of staff and I think CJ and lulu may just be right and it is bullying.

It seems on days when I had a wee grumble about my aches and pains I was called 'grumpy' and now when I try to just get on with it quietly I'm in a 'mood'. Can't win!

Anyway, I am feeling much more positive tonight after all your comments and advice, thank you all again. x