Phew!!!

Options
Stu69
Stu69 Member Posts: 202
edited 15. Oct 2011, 14:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
... that was close!! :lol:

The good lady and I are off to Dubrovnik on Monday, but nearly didn't make it!!

My Wife has moderate aortic regurge and atherosclerosis, which is monitored closely but is unfortunately inherited from her mother who had a triple heart bypass when she was in her early 40's, having had a dodgy ticker too. My Wife doesn't even so much as a filling in her head, doesn't smoke, eats a pescatarian(sp?) diet but has naturally high cholesterol and the heart disease, oh, and thyroid issues, so when we phoned about travel insurance for the 4 day trip I was on the phone for 20 minutes reeling off both hers and my conditions :lol:

The upshot is that the travel insurance people won't insure her condition because she had annual review last week and has received a letter a couple of days ago for a recall appointment a few days after we get back, and 'cos she is awaiting test results, and given that she is symptomatic and in probs will need at least an aortic valve replacement in the coming years, they said they would only insure her if we could state that her condition and recall is only routine and that she won't get told she needs surgery, hence their refusal to insure.

Now, I have spent 2 days worried sick, and my Wife too of course, trying not to think of the worst and trying to figure out what flippin get threw THAT spoke in our plans given we haven't been on hols for years, but, we FINALLY got the Cardio Dr to answer our calls, asking to know if she is safe to travel, or if something sinister is going on, or her condition worsened etc, so he confirmed it was just routine, and yes, she's all good to go!!!

Wooohoooo!!! I could live with not taking the break, but couldn't have gone away not insured, or not knowing what she is up against had her heart deteriorated, you know? It might have created a bit of a downer I guess, but at least knowing we can go now and she isn't about to keel over, or at least if she does, she's now covered!

Who keeps throwing these bloody hoops we have to jump through, daswat I want to know!! :roll: :?:
No-one was injured in the making of this signature, however, quite a few electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oooooooh, Dubrovnik? How lovely, I have heard it's a beautiful place so I hope you both have a lovely time - and that you BOTH STAY WELL. :smile: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Stu69
    Options
    Thank you, DD. :grin:

Fingers crossed it will all go swimmingly. We're really looking forward to it. First time off together for over 3 years too so it'll be nice to just mooch around all the sites. We love old towns (even re-built 'Old Towns') and have done Prague 4 times in the past and love that to bits so it seemed like another nice place to get fleeced as a captive audience. :lol:
    No-one was injured in the making of this signature, however, quite a few electrons may have been inconvenienced.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    travel insurance eh? Bloody bandits.. Lol

I hope that you both have a wonderful and stress free time matey... Sounds like you both really need it... :grin:
    Did you say when you are going? Sorry, using mobile and can't read back while typing. Lol
    PC is happily downloading stuff we've missed while broadband was down :eek:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Have a fantastic break and stay well.Mig
  • Stu69
    Options
    Cheers for that Mig, I may well start a list; all can add their names - I'll make sure to have blow the froth off of one for everybody while we're there. Maybe not ALL 19,000+ members though otherwise the Wife will have to start drinking Croatian lager too! :lol:

Tony, hows ya doing fella? Hope you got some kip?? :smile: We're going Monday to Friday... too poor to be able to afford the weekend too :lol: Glad you got your BB sorted too, after all this time! :grin:
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    What is going on with this iste?, I posted on this but it's not here??.
    Right Dubrovnik, great place there should be a crystal shop in the plazza if they rebuilt it now that is, I'd stick to bottled water and eat out at places with a few people using the place, we went to a really nice place there but hardly anyone in it, the food was poo so stick the places with punters in you can't go wrong.

We drove from North all the way down to Dubrovnik B&B'd it the whole way, great country just sad they destroyed it all a year after we'd toured there.
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Mmmmm enjoy. Xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • Stu69
    Options
    I had a post not appear on here too. Cheers for the tips. Got a good guide and have done some hard research into not getting fisted in some of the grotty restaurants, but bound to fall into one after a couple of beers at some point. We're staying in a place just off or behind the Stradun which has great reviews and far away enough away to be quite too. Actually looking forward to a nice walk around the walls, arfur permitting, at sunset, too. I'm taking my dullers and mtx jabs so hopefully won't spend 5 days in the nick either at Gatwick or Dubrovnik. :lol:

Thanks, Anky - certainly going to try!!! x
  • mellman01
    Options
    It's also got an old apothecary that's really interesting, we loved the sigh for a stuffed song thrush, they had it down as a sang thrush!. right in a way it wasn't going to sing again that's for sure. Oh yeah and try the little supermarket/shop they have in the old town look out for Bip beer, came in little half tins and was 13% proof, rocket fuel bloody lovely stuff.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Cheers Stu. Not so good at the minute, doc says it's a bug.. Eleven days of feeling dead and sitting on the pot as well as a flare up.. Joy.. LOL

Mell, they had to eradicate any soft southern residue once you'd left :shock: :grin::lol:

Right, got to, erm... GO :roll: :oops:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Stu

I'm so glad that you got the insurance sorted, and I hope that you will enjoy your holiday.

I went to Croatia last year and stayed in Dubrovnik for a few days. It's a beautiful country, and Dubrovnik is definitely ''the Pearl of the Adriatic''. The old city is quite compact and easy to walk round, with lots of interesting streets and buildings to explore. The Croatian people are very friendly and welcoming so I think you will have a lovely holiday.

Bon Voyage :grin:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • Stu69
    Options
    Hey Joan! :grin:

Yep - I finally got them to fleece me last night... £75 of your actual finest pounds! :shock: :lol:

It started at £45 for all our conditions covered but by the time I upped cover due to new rumblings with the flaming Icelandic volcano it topped out at another £30.00.

It's not so daft, that volcanic cover. My Wife had to go to Turkey just before it kicked off last time, to spend 10 days there for an inquest into her mother's death. Her mum was killed whilst on holiday - hit, in her car, by a big coach. It killed her aunt too. Was a dreadful time for us all, I stayed here at home as my son was at school - dogs needed looking after etc etc, and then to top it all the volcano went off and it took me 11 further days after her scheduled return flight to get her home and over £1,000.00 and many sleepless nights. It was flipping horrendous so as daft as it may seem, that £30 extra, when you've been in the situation you're safeguarding against, is mere bagatelle!

I'm glad it's easy to walk around. We've watched lots of Youtube clips and have a great guide (thanks to the local library :oops: :eek: ) so are just looking forward to being totally nosey and exploring all the little back streets. I'm glad they're friendly, the Croats, as there's nothing worse than being hated in a foreign country just for being English.

Stu
  • Stu69
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    It's also got an old apothecary that's really interesting, we loved the sigh for a stuffed song thrush, they had it down as a sang thrush!. right in a way it wasn't going to sing again that's for sure. Oh yeah and try the little supermarket/shop they have in the old town look out for Bip beer, came in little half tins and was 13% proof, rocket fuel bloody lovely stuff.

Oooooh... beer! Thanks for that tip too. 13%??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

The apothecary sounds cool. Duly noted!!
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Stu, that is dreadful what happened to your Wife's Mum & Aunty.. I am really sorry to hear that RKid..
    Turkey is a place that I shall never set foot in.. My good pal was one of the two Leeds United supporters murdered there a few yrs ago.. The Country has done all it could to protect the barsteward that did it..

Sorry, bringing a downer to your thread matey.

Hope that you have a great time in Croatia, and take it easy, no running around :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mellman01
    Options
    Oh so the war was my fault then Len!?? :lol: Oddly same happened when we'd go to Kneya, a few months after we b****d off home they started rioting!.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Don't you see the pattern emerging Mell? :shock: Lol
    After we met in that pub and you left all Hell broke loose :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Stu69
    Options
    Cheers folks!!!

Rehab - mankini is not going on, no worries.... It doesn't look good with the missus's heels on! :shock: :lol:

Tony - heard about that. Bloody 'eck mate, that was nasty!!! Jeez, know what you mean about the Turks protecting their own. :evil Yeah it was an awful awful thing mate.

Mell, I'll ask if they remember you! :lol:

Typical init - got a doozy of an abscess now too. Face like a football on one side. Feel like sh1t and on antibiotics that I can't drink with... AT ALL. Not happy, but hey, could be worse!!! :lol:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Stu, that is dreadful what happened to your Wife's Mum & Aunty.. I am really sorry to hear that RKid..
    Turkey is a place that I shall never set foot in.. My good pal was one of the two Leeds United supporters murdered there a few yrs ago.. The Country has done all it could to protect the barsteward that did it..

Sorry, bringing a downer to your thread matey.

Hope that you have a great time in Croatia, and take it easy, no running around :grin:

Sorry to hear that Tony. I know one of them was a scooterist and remember the fury around his death

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Futuee ref : A company offering good, reasonably priced insurance is worldwide traveller.
    Have fab hol
    C xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg