Any ballet lovers out there?

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 25. Oct 2011, 05:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've had a life-long love of ballet since studying it myself when I was young. I go regularly to see the Birmingham Royal Ballet, and I'm a great fan of theirs. However, it does tend to be quite expensive for a good seat. Therefore I was very pleased to see that Showcase Cinemas around the country are showing ballet live by satellite from the Royal Opera House in London.

The next one is ''Sleeping Beauty'' on 15th December. To buy a ticket for this at the Royal Opera House would be very expensive, plus travel costs, but as an ''Insider'' at the cinema, my ticket is only £10. I've booked it already and I'm looking forward to seeing it. They are also showing operas for anyone who is interested.

Details are on this link:

http://www.showcasecinemas.co.uk/programmes/royaloperaLive1112.asp

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• cacyhi
    cacyhi Member Posts: 150
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joan,

I love to watch ballet and, yes it is expensive as I like to sit in the front row of the dress circle, in the middle, for the perfect view for me!!

The Showcase cinema is a good idea ( i know they have done it for music concerts and sports events so why not ballet and opera!!)

I live near wimbledon and every Feb they have the Russian State Ballet perform at wimbledon theatre. They usually do Swan lake and Nutcracker but I always go to see Swan Lake. Earlier this year I saw a Matthew bourne production for the first time, of Cinderella, but I can only watch the classic Swan Lake. I am lucky living being in good reach of London coz I quite often get good deals on theatre and dance tickets from an on-line place called Travelzoo - see if they do deals in your area?

Ballet is just so magical .... although it was dancing that probably helped ruin my feet!!!!
    CAROL (Cacyhi)
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Carol

It's nice to meet another ballet lover. I totally agree that ballet is magical and I love to watch it. You are very lucky to live in easy reach of the London theatres, and I would love to have seen the Matthew Bourne production of Cinderella.

The Showcase cinemas don't seem to advertise these shows very widely, which is why I thought I would post about them on here.

A couple of years ago, I saw Darcey Bussell in a ballet, and she was fabulous. Later I was having a drink in a hotel bar when she arrived with some of the other dancers. I plucked up courage to tell her how much I had enjoyed her dancing, and she shook hands with me and thanked me. She was lovely and very friendly. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven, and I didn't want to wash my hand for ages afterwards. :grin:
  • cacyhi
    cacyhi Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Hi Joan, I love all dance - From the age of 5 I did tap then latin american/ballroom dancing until I was about 18 (which my kids find kind of amusing, they dont see me in the "strictly" mould at all - hey I was young once! ) The one real blow about getting RA at 22 yrs old was that I always thought it would be something Id get back to when I was older, of course, it never happened. Right now I will be grateful just to be able to walk again on my own two feet after this op, if im lucky.

I love all music and dance. Music is something essential to me and the need to move - which is why im finding life so hard at the moment.

Its lovely when you have something planned to look forward to and most places are fairly accessible these days. I am sure you will enjoy the event - a nice way to relax before all the christmas rush. Hope you have had a good day to day :smile:
    CAROL (Cacyhi)
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Well that's another form of ballet, Del :grin: After my other thread about left brain/right brain, I keep trying to make the woman in your post spin the opposite way :lol:

Carol, I used to love ballroom dancing too, but can only manage the slow ones like the waltz now. I'm afraid that my quick-stepping days are over. :roll: Never mind, I have some lovely memories of whirling round the dance floor with the gorgeous young man who was my partner. :grin: