Has your town put up the xmas lights yet

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 26. Oct 2011, 16:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
I live in a smallish town called Middleton in North Manchester, anyway, I was going through the town centre this morning, and was astonished to see 8 council workmen putting the Christmas lights on the lamposts.
I said " what the hell is going on here ", to be told " oh it's council policy to put them up this early ".
This is miles too early for my liking, please tell me your town has't put them up. Alanthemanc

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Alan,

No not yet thank goodness, well there wasn’t any in Bury last Saturday but I am sure it will not be long before they do. May be the cut backs will have an effect and they won’t want them to be on for as long this year??

I x
  • cacyhi
    cacyhi Member Posts: 150
    Options
    They never take them down where we live - they are on the lampposts all year round. I think they start turning them on on Dec 1 - they put a tree outside the council building and someone puts the leccy on and all systems go!
    CAROL (Cacyhi)
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    not sure not been in town for couple of weeks so will look when go into day val
    val
  • valval
    Options
    one of the women at work did one of the windows at work for halloween with spiders etc looks a mess, it an american hol not ours so why????? not xmas till we done stocktake lol
    val
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Regardless of your opinions on the religious thing.. I think it's disgusting that the councils are no longer allowed to put any references to the birth of Christ up in the decorations for fear of offending anyone :shock: I mean... What the.......... :???:
    So, no matter when your decorations go up, at least here in Leeds, there will be nothing at all to show the true meaning of Christmas.. Plenty of snowmen, reindeer etc.. No babies in cribs etc though.. All because some loony leftie thinks that Johnny foreigner may be offended :roll:
    Sorry, Alan.. Pinched your thread for a bit of a moan.. Lol
    Not sure if ours are up yet in town, I try and avoid the place. Full of chavs and numpties.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    tjt6768
    Yeh, know what tyou meen, in Rochdale they seem to put up bells, snowmwn etc, but avoid any mention of Christmas itself, mmm wonder why.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I know Alan.... Tis a huge mystery (said with all the sarcasm I could muster, lol)
    Bloody PC brigade yet again...
    Council offices can't have any proper Christmas decorations up either. Soon they'll have to change the name for fear of the name CHRIST in Christmas offending. I'm just waiting for that one..
    This country is becoming a saggy bag of knackers I'm afraid.. Sorry if that offends :roll:
    I'm very very proud of being English and a Christian. Even though I don't really believe if you know what I mean? I always put CofE on any forms still.
    And if the only option is British, I cross it out and put English.. They wouldn't expect a German to put European on a form, same thing...
    I may be proud to be English, but I'm afraid I'm no longer proud of this country. We are being walked all over by everyone and their dog.. :roll: Don't get me started, I'll be accused of being racist AGAIN :shock:

Sorry, once again for the rambling Alan.. Lol
    You ok Rkid?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    tjt6768
    Wow, thats some rant, as some scouser with a tashe would say " calm down, calm down ".
    But the worrying thing about it is, you are absloutely 100% dead right.
    Have a calm rest of the day haha.lol.... always like your posts. Alanthemanc.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    We were very upset to find that last year the decorations that had given us many a laugh over the years had been replaced with something more tasteful.
    We loved the 'waving' santas who looked like they were doing something far more rude. :shock: :eek: :grin: Hubby and I noticed them on our first date and it had been a running joke ever since. They've gone now but thats what I immediatly think of when decorations are mentioned.
    Thankfully ours aren't up yet.... but there is a lot of halloween and bonfire night events and decorations around the city.
    Chrissie
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I live in South East Kent and in my town they haven't bothered to take them down the last few years. They claim this saves money but then send workmen and scissor lifts every year to check said bulbs (must comply with H&S regs you know!). Just hope they've done the "Working at Height" course! ... It looks so tatty the rest of the year.
    Grace.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Alan
    Im not far off you , but there are no signs here has yet....they will be having Christmas in July the way we are going....
    Tony I totally agree..it is our celebration...I am sure our ethnic friends have there's...
    Love
    Barbara
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Lights go up second week in December in our village No hang ups here in Spain There are cribs and Holy Family pictures everywhere The kids get their main presents on Jan 6th the day of the 3 kings There is a big procession the night before when the Kings come
  • valval
    Options
    none here looked when went into town but never very good when they do go up half of them never work it was nicer when they had little xmas tree above every shop looked lovely now they do not do them.

which christmas market you going to this year???
    usually try to get to lincoln but might not get there this year :sad:
    val
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Not here yet.......hope they haven't forgot :lol:

juliepf x