Hello

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 26. Oct 2011, 09:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I've been "guesting" on the forum for quite a while now and when I've been on a bad day (and I've had loads of them recently!) some of your posts have genuinely made me smile - so thank you.
I'm 46 and have OA in both knees, both ankles, left hip and left wrist/thumb. Following 8 other surgeries to my knee, I had a partial (bi-compartmental) replacement in my right knee May 2009 but it wasn't a totally successful outcome unfortunately. My left ankle was washed out in June 2011 to remove a "significant bony ostephyte" but the pre-op pain/discomfort has already returned.
My pain meds don't seem to be keeping up with my pain and I'm worried about the future and how I'm going to manage. Any suggestions/advice would be extremely welcome.
Thank you for reading this post.
Grace
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Grace

very very pleased to meet you and welcome you to our forums.

I am sorry you sound to have been well-got be OA :sad:

If you let us know what meds you are on it might help us.

I myself have tried gabapentin the old co-dydramol, co-codamol tramadol and a few other bits and pieces. I am now using bu-trans pain patches which l find great. l have a sense of freedom as the pain is constantly under control without that 'burst' of the drug which used to make me queasy!

Love

Toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Grace,

Oh flower you mustn't look too far ahead with this thing. It never as bad as you fear to be honest.... well mine hasn't been and I have a lot of oa they wont operate on.

I think, as Toni said, you could do with a meds review maybe? I have had so many different types and trials over the years but am lucky now as they have found a combination that keeps it under manageable levels to most degree.

Are they saying anything about how they will help you? Sometimes we just need a plan of some sort to have hope it will get easier if that makes sense?

You hang in there and nice to meet you. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Grace, what a lovely name you have. It's lovely to 'meet' you and I am so sorry that you hare having (and have been having) a rough time. I have just returned from my flu jab and a totter round Sainsbriz and am, quite frankly, wiped out - the excitement is just too much. :roll:

I have two sorts of arthritis, an auto-immune version (PA) and the 'wear and tear' (OA) which I think is there as a result of the PA damage. Both knees and ankles are affected by both and I was recently rejected for a new knee or two on the grounds of age (utter tosh) and weight (all too true). The relentless nature of arthritis pain is so wearing and tiring in itself, let alone the rest of the malarkey that is involved. The pain meds only relieve a certain amount and for me it is a matter of just gritting ones teeth and going on as best one can. I am into my fifteenth year of this and I'm used to continual pain, it's part and parcel of the disease and, frankly, I hope it never stops - the thought of having to adjust all over again is just too much! :smile:

As for managing life, well, I break all tasks down into manageable chunks, I rest whenever I can (such as now) I am still able to work (I am self-employed and find that my 'boss' is very understanding of my problems :smile: ), I now cook and iron sitting down (it's hellishly awkward but it eases the strain on my knees and ankles etc) and I use crutches for walking - I have done since 2002. I am now thinking of upgrading to a three-wheeled rollator gizmo, as that should make life easier as walking is becoming progressively harder. We are all different in how we are affected, in how we react to the meds and we all vary so much in what we can tolerate with pain - one man's discomfort is another's agony but I am sure that everyone on here can relate to your troubles and fears.

I hope you are having a better day today than of late and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hello Cris and DD,
    thanks for your comments and encouragement.
    I'm due to see a GP at my practice on Friday and ask (yet again!) for a pain management clinic referral. Also waiting for x-ray results on my replaced knee as I've had "new" pain lately and I think where the replacement meets the bone the bone is crumbling. I feel like the south east coastline - eroding!
    It's so difficult at my practice to see the same GP twice so you end up going over the same ground every time. The last one I saw happily told me - with a lovely smile - that OA is a life- long condition (!) Thanks for nothing was my initial thought.
    I too, break tasks into manageable chunks. I have walking sticks and crutches and depending on what's aching most and how badly will use the relevant walking aid. I have a perching stool but it's so awkward to use.
    My partner does what he can but he has M.E., (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) which is currently flaring at the moment so things he'd usually do I'm trying to deal with myself.
    I was so lucky that the RNOH in Stanmore agreed to a partial replacement for me two years ago, but long-term as it's only a partial and the outside of my knee is still bad I so, so wish they'd done the whole thing - life might have been better now if they had.
    I've had this disease since 1998 and so am "used" to living with it. However, being used to living with it doesn't make life any easier does it?
    DD - when I pushed for my knee to be replaced I said the pain was "unbearable" and that seemed to be word they were wanting. Mind you I did tell them if they didn't replace it I wanted amputation - might sound drastic but I was desperate by then! I'd ask again if I were you but be warned the rehab afterwards is hard, hard work.
    Hope you both have a good day today. Take care, Grace.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Grace.
    I have OA in hips, ankle,neck and spine.
    I've had a THR......
    Like you I'm asking ans asking and asking for a referral to a pain clinic....still havent got it yet :sad:
    Sorry I cant be much help
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    He said he would not do either knee until I was 55, so I have about two and a bit years to go. I have bone-on-bone in both but I wouldn't describe it as unbearable - tough yes, life-disrupting for sure, but it's manageable - and I am stubborn. The pain from the OA is very different to the other and the ortho guy wants me to be more active - I would like to be too but when I am the other arthritis reacts with lots of lovely swelling and heat - one just cannot win! I am now using a shower stool in the kitchen and that is OK - I needed a stool that folds as we do not have much room in our house and this fits that bill. It has a lovely wide seat (just like me) and is very secure (my last stool, a cheap and cheerful one, collapsed under me earlier this year and caused me some damage.) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Grace, Welcome to the forum. I have Osteoporosis so slightly different to yourself. I suffer in both legs, back and both hips and starting to notice it in my hands and arms more now. I'm sure you'll find great support on here and everyone is so friendly we're like one big family. Glad you have enjoyed the forum hope you keep checking it out. Amanda.xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi Grace and welcome to the forum. I have inflammatory and OA. Both are a pest, I hope you find the forum to be as supportive as I have. Constant pain grinds you down and it can make you worry about the future. Try to take one day at a time.

Lots of different pain relief available, keep pushing for the pain clinic referral, some get better results than others.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Grace
    And a very warm welcome to the forum, I do hope you get to see a pain clinic soon, saying that one year on from the pain clinic I experiment with my meds just to fine tune them.
    Wishing you well with everything.
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Grace

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I have Ra so I am sorry I have no advice for you.
    I see though that alot of the lovely people before me have helped you.

Take care
    Love Juliepf x