What other pain meds can you take with Methatrexate?

Options
DebraKelly
DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
edited 29. Oct 2011, 14:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I have a visit to the Doctor next week and my pain has been increasing in the cold weather.

Does anyone know what other pain meds you can take with Methatraxate? I'm taking paracetamol at the moment but that is only straching the surface.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am on injected meth and have co-codamol and tramadol. Meth has never eased pain for me, I have always had the dullers too. If you need something stronger then you should see your GP rather than buy things over the counter. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Fedup
    Fedup Member Posts: 38
    Options
    I only started taking meth 4 weeks ago, but I also take co-codamol and Tramadol for pain, as DD says as your GP for something stronger the stuff you get over the counter is ok but your GP is the best person to advise you on what would be best for you.

J x
    Julie xxx
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Go and see your doc
    MTX is not a painkiller per se, rather it’s to control the onslaught of arthritis and therefore should have the side effect of reducing pain.
    I take codeine and paracetamol and Etodolac which is an anti-inflammatory along with Humira & MTX all of which work in different ways to control my disease and reduce my pain levels. You must be careful with over the counter painkillers as many interact with the effectiveness of MTX and can cause other side effects. Talk to your doc and they should be able to prescribe something more effective that is also safe.
    Chrissie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    Options
    Hiya

spinds like you need something stronger than the paracetamol and l'm not suprised :sad:

MTX isn't a painkiller as such (in theory it gets yours symptoms under control therefore the pain in time). Most of us take painkillers like co-codamol/tramadol etc and also anti-inflamatories like naproxen/ibuprofen/arcoxia etc as well at times.

If l were you I'd ask the doc for something a bit stronger.

Love

Toni xx
  • stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi, I take Meptid and paracetamol and anti inflammatories.x
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    Options
    I take methatrexate with cocodamol, tramadol and diclofenac
  • dingbat77
    dingbat77 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Well I'm on the following

Allopurinol
    Warfarin
    Doxazoin
    Sopadol/Tramadol
    Two drugs for prostate/bladder

I have a blood test every 6 weeks and my last one showed a raised Liver GT level so doctor monitoring it