tesco policys

Options
luckybug
luckybug Member Posts: 205
edited 28. Oct 2011, 17:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone else had a similar situation? I am single and do not have children I have 3 nephews and 2 nieces who are never out of my sight, I drive but cannot take the petrol cap off my car or put petrol in my car, so from a young age all 5 of them have done it for me while I watch over them, so whenever I pull up at a petrol station the kids jump out and fill the car then I give them the money they pop in and pay for it, never ever has anyone ever said it was not allowed? Twice now I have used my local Tesco petrol station, its only a small store and twice I have had problems, first time my nephew went into pay, no one stopped him filling up the car, just would not take money from him for it, so I had to go in and pay, this time I was prepared as he went to fill the car the diesel pump would not work, this station is always heaving so you don't mess around you get your petrol move to park then go pay to allow other customers chance to get in, anyway an attendant came out and told my nephew he could not fill the car and he would do it, so I went inside and paid asking why? because he is under 18? cant people pass driving tests at 17 years of age? wouldn't they use petrol? Also seeing how he is a child carer - unpaid - tell that to my purse, surely they should understand, anyway after a heated debate he now has to go in and tell them I am outside so they will fill my car, and if I am alone I have to let them know, I'm never alone, I just feel some policies make people with disabilitys harder. If only I knew about 50 people with child carers in a similar position I would love for us all to turn up and watch the staff trying to sort out their miserable policy, with every other driver beeping and screaming at them for holding everyone up.
Had my moan grrrrrrrrr lol

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sometimes needs must and I think it is good your nieces and Nephews are so helpful and learning things from a young age. You are supervising them at all times so I cannot see what the problem is. However if they are happy to come and put the petrol in for you I suppose it is better than nothing. I wonder how long it will be before they get fed up doing so?

All the best
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hmm, I wonder what the general policy is?? Do all stores have the same policy or just this one? It isn't just arthritis sufferers, what about MS and similar?? Like you, I can envision chaos if more than one customer needed help. :lol:
  • dingbat77
    dingbat77 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Just a suggestion but doesn't your Tesco have any pumps where you can
    pay with a credit/debit card rather than have to go to the kiosk. At mine I pay at the pump even has a slot for the club card.

The problem is also that unless same staff unlikely to know your circumstances and without being rude most petrol station cashiers not the sharpest tools in the box
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    you can not blame the staff if it policy write to tesco and explaine how silly this policy is and explaine they do not have enough staff to do the job justice it shame all the old petrol stations went under who would fill up for you and take your money val
    val
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Luckybug

Does seem rather silly that tesco wouldn't take the money from the children when you were clearly insight of the assistants.

However if they have rules I suppose they have to abide.
    As for the age, you can purchase petrol at the age of 16 as the young person can ride a moped . (my oh used to ride a moped at that age legally on the road)

I know I once had to sit in the petrol station an beep my horn and someone came out to serve me. :???:

Juliepf x
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    oh, go to the top, tell them what you think of their policy and explain your situation, have found the email for the CEO of Tesco. xx Bubbles
    philip.clarke@uk.tesco.com
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Hi lucky bug

Where I live there are signs up for no under 16s to use the pumps. I use s**** so maybe that's why and they just haven't noticed before. Not thAt that is much help to you. I would ask how you are to get their attention to come out to you if you can't move about on your own or like someone said sit and horn at them. I know some stations have an intercom button at the pump so you can request assistance. Sorry that's not much help to you though at this moment in time.

My daughter who is 23 was refused alcohol at a t**co xtra even with ID because she had her younger sister with her who is 17 and they said she might give it to a minor and that was company policy. :?: :?: so you can't buy alcohol if you have kids now :idea: :eek:
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses, cheers bubbles I have already contacted customer services and see what response I get then I will email the CEO. And Theresa I know its disgraceful my niece is 17 and her boyfriend is 19, I asked him to go to my local bargain booze and they did the same, he had ID and was buying some beer for me, I had to go down in the car to buy it in the end, whats the point of having kids if they cant go to the shop for you?? beggers belief. Wouldn't mind so much but both kids are tea total they're in their element with bottle of coke and a bag of sweets, they shouldn't tar all kids the same. And at 19 he should be responsible not the shop, I did once see on the news a similar story about a nana who went to the shop for a bottle of whisky and couldn't reach so got her tall 15 year old granchild to take it off the shelf for her, something I do all the time, or there would be more smashed bottles all over the store, lol mmmm now theres a thought Tesco here I come. And when she got to the checkout they wouldn't serve her because they saw her granddaughter getting it down so were unsure if nana was buying it for her??? Why do we bother shopping with them. Online I can only get 3 trays of lager from Asda delivered if I shop online from Tescos 10 items or sainsburys I can buy as many as I want, think I'll stick to online shopping, shame I cant get petrol online. xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,480
    Options
    Our tesco says 16 :???:

I know this as l have just started getting my eldest to do it for me :???:

I LOVE love love this line :grin: :

whats the point of having kids if they cant go to the shop for you?? beggers belief.

Classic :wink: am going to show the kids later Lucky :grin:

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Where is this tesco? I think we should get a load of us to come and do a protest! I'd come.

Tesco annoy me, I've told my local store about the useless disabled spaces several times, and even though they phoned me once to say thanks for the suggestion and they would look it, nothing changed. The place they keep the scooters is no where near the customer services so you have quite a walk from getting your key to picking up the scooter. I also asked about this sevicecall thing that Tesco do if you are disabled and need help filling your car up. They told me it cost about £30 a year when at Sainsbury's you just beep your horn and they come out to help you.

Just came back to add that I was 16 when I learned how to drive because of my arthritis and so I must have got petrol under 18! Sometimes they like to make rules up. :roll:
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    The law says:
    Its illegal to supply petrol to under 16's - so technically they shouldn't be paying for it or pumping it. Sorry
    The attendant was wrong though - Under 18's can't be in sole control of a petrol station but obviously can buy petrol ....as you can drive a moped or a car if you have high level mobility DLA from 16 :roll:
    Chrissie