just back from hospital , shocked and terrified

Options
jilly
jilly Member Posts: 503
edited 1. Nov 2011, 19:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone , hope you are not suffering to much today.
Just got back from the hospital and still in shock , they are going to replace my knee in 5 weeks . I was not expecting it to be so soon.
To be honest i am terrified , i dont know how i am going to get through this . usually I am good at holding it together, I think it is something to do with all the other things going on with my health . It seems to be one thing on top of another.
In the last year i have started with imflamatory arthritis , sjorgens , fibro and underactive thyroid . I have had enough but I will have to get on with it . I will be asking you all for your support if thats ok .
thanks for listening to my moaning . .....jilly x

Comments

• cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Don't worry......we'll look after you. It must seem like an awful shock what with everything else you're going through. It will help with some of your pain though and will be worth it. Chin up. xx
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • jilly
    Options
    Thanks Sue , it does help having others to talk to and compare notes ,I will be spending a lot of time on the forum for the next few weeks . thanks again ...jillyx
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    You're always welcome.
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Jilly...I can imagine the shock...I am terrified of surgery ..and just reading your post my stomach jumped...the only way I am getting there is with all the lovely people on this forum...reading how they have all come through surgery....and so pleased they had it done
    Hopefully you will get your head round it all, and like you say having us lot to talk to will really help...so you dont forget we are all here for you.
    Sending lots of hugs and courage...
    ((((())))
    Love
    Barbara
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Jilly i am not supprised you are in shock 5 weeks is not long to get your self together ,but you will and and all will be well with the op and hopefully that will mean less pain , we will all be in your pocket xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,951
    Options
    Hi Jilly.
    try not to worry we will there for you and it will be nice not to have the pain no more.
    i've had my knee 8 years i have not had a problem with it.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Jilly,I think i would be in shock too,we will all be there with you,hope when the time comes its a big bed reckon its going to be a bit crowded. :wink: Mig
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Jilly, I am sure that did come as a bit of a shock to you but sometimes that is the best way, you have less time to worry. It is only natural to feel nervous. I have had both knees replaced so do not hesitate to ask any questions. In fact there are quite a few of us in the "knee club" so lots of info and support will be available, should you need it.

Hugs
    Eln a x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jilly
    Options
    Thanks everyone , you are all so nice , I wish i could take you all with me on the day but you will be in my pocket and my head . I just need to get through the next 5 weeks I feel sorry for my hubby he will really suffer. again thanks you lovely peps ...jillyxx
  • jilly
    Options
    Hi Elna , Thanks for the advise , i have had one knee and one hip done already . They are fine except for being an inch different on one hip.
    The thing that is fightening me is last time they did'nt take into account i was already on morphine when i had the op so I was short of pain killer after the op . The nurses would'nt give me anymore because it was'nt on my records .
    I have insisted the doctor puts it on the records this time , he told me not to worry it wont happen again . I do hope he is right , I may kill someone if it happens again .....thanks again for advise .....jillyxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Jilly

I can understand the shock and the wobbles going on in your head at this moment in time.

Hope after a good nights sleep that tomorrow you will feel a little better.

I will be in your pocket when ever needed leading up to surgery.

Take care
    Love Juliepf x
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    Hi Jilly, we will all be thinking of you and offer support where we can... i tell u about shock... i asked for cancellations and certainly didnt expect mine as quickly... i was called wednesday 20th june 2007 20 past 4 in the afternoon to go in and have a replacement knee next morning.... had surgery at 9.30am i think it was... wasnt a good idea... shouldve had a few weeks later instead, after having knee op i met several people who had physio prior to having the op to get the muscles built up etc...

good luck xxxxx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi Jilly. That is a shock, but, I would say that it is very good that they are getting it sorted that quickly hun.
    Of course we will all be with you throughout the whole thing. To be honest, I just wish that they would get mine replaced.. The surgeon won't look at them again until the inflammation is under control.

anyway hun, best of luck.. :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Jilly

I remember us chatting about the the morphone pump in the early post op hours in hospital :roll: and also the epidural that we were given and both of us went through a bit of torture! :roll: You will be ok this time around. :smile: The epidural can be given after you have been put to sleep too, as the anaesthetist did this for me in that order the second time around as I explained how horrid it was for me the first time.

You will be fine.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, you poor thing, yes indeed that must have been a shock and no wonder that it has taken you aback somewhat. I can understand your reservations after the first experience, and little wonder you feel so concerned about it: I had a bad experience after my first synovectomy and was dreading the second because of that but it did not happen again, the second op was absolutely fine - and I am sure yours will be too. You can bet your bottom dollar that we will al be there on the day, and the succeeding days too to cheer you on and up. I am thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,480
    Options
    Of course Jilly

we will all be here to support you lass through the op and beyond :smile:

Love and calming/supportive hugs

Toni xx
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I just wanted to add my support to all the good vibes you've had already. You can speak from past experience which is a good thing as it means you can make sure bad things don't happen this time. Sounds like you're taking care of everything very well, good for you. Don't hesitate to ask again when you're admitted and see the Dr before your op.
    Best of luck and good vibe hugs. Rita.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Jilly
    I will be with you for the op. xx
    Re the post op pain relief, I was on morphine before my THR and at my pre op assessment I was referred ot the pain team who discussed things with the anaesthetist. They gave me a spinal and I had a GA, and post op I had a morphine IV infusion with a boost button for me to control also. This was weaned down slowly, whilst I was on high dependency unit , then I was moved to post op ward and usual pain relief was available.
    I hope they sort things better for you this time xx
    NB
  • jilly
    Options
    thanks everyone , I am a bit carmer now . I will try to get incontrol again . I do at least know what to expect . I will let you all know how I go on .....thanks again ...jillyx
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Options
    I know it's a shock and only a short time to get your head round it, but it will be for the best and you won't have to put up with the pain any more. Good luck you'll be fine,

Sue x
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Options
    I know it's a shock and only a short time to get your head round it, but it will be for the best and you won't have to put up with the pain any more. Good luck you'll be fine,

Sue x
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi Jilly,

I'm here to offer my support throughout too. It is soon but I would prefer that-not long to think about it! They're doing it cos it needs done and they will look after you.

((((())))

Eileen xx
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Hi Jilly,I know how you feel.Same thing happened to me was told i would get op in 9 weeks.Was in shock when i left hospital,never asked about op in any detaill.Well i go in on 9th Nov,just want to get it done now.I have OA AND INFLAMMATORY also underactive thyroid.Once you get over shock you will possibly be glad.Wish you well.xx
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Good luck over coming weeks and for the op itself Jilly - not to mention recovery time. I'm sure it will work out really well - we will all be willing it to for you! Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • jilly
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help it is very much appreceated .I will post and keep you all up to date . hopefully I will be OK . jilly xx