Exercising while in pain

Options
Beatrix
Beatrix Member Posts: 37
edited 30. Oct 2011, 15:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, Just a small history: I started with pain in both my elbows about 4 months ago, then two months later my left knee started to hurt alot with some swelling and my right knee is going the same way. Now waiting for an x-ray appointment for a diagnoses.

I'm afraid I did too much walking on Tuesday and my left knee is much worse with alot of pain during the day as well as night time. My right knee has also gone more painful. I'm just not sure if I should try to walk through the pain, say walking around the house regular. I say the house as I know its just too painful to go walking outside without having anywhere to rest right now. Am I doing more damage walking too much or should I rest as much as possible? When I've sat for too long my legs can take about a minute to get moving properly and seem stiff and even then they are very painful. I'm seeing my gp on thursday as the Co-codomal aren't working and the iobrufen aren't taking much of the edge off the pain. I'd be greatful for any advice/experiences.

Jackie x
Fall down seven times, get up eight
Japanese Proverb

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Pain is an indicator that a joint (or joints) is/are in trouble but life still has to be lived. Do what you need to do movement-wise to accomplish the day-to-day tasks, but perhaps temporarily call a halt to the triathlon training until you have seen your GP. :smile: The dullers are only that, they take off the edge, they do not remove the pain completely but the stronger they are the more edge is removed.

I am fifteen years into this ghastly business, I have had a very busy two weeks with my mum staying and the nett result is that I am currently sitting here quietly crying with pain, it's bloody miserable, isn't it? It doesn't matter if it's one affected joint, five or thirty, it's all wrong. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice DD. Although I've only had the pain in my knee's for two months, there has been times when it really does get you down, especially when the pain is bad.

I hope you get some much needed relief soon. Jackie xx
    Japanese Proverb
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi and welcome to this forum which is full of brilliant people who know what you are going through.
    I can't really advise you I can only tell you what I do.
    If I sit for more than 10 minutes my knees just won't work so I don't do it.
    I have a small dog and I take her out twice a day,we are not talking long walk here but I struggle even then.
    I also have OA in my ankles and my right foot feels like I am walking on glass.
    I was a very lively 63 year old until I fell on ice in December which caused me to have a fractured vertabrae but I refuse to give up.
    I also have a very swollen right hand.
    When I come back in I take my coco's and rest up a while though not too long.
    Everyone is different and maybe you need stronger pain killers.
    Speaking to your GP will help.I have seen a physio and have excersises I do every day,painful but something I need to do to strenthen my bones.
    Stay around,some one will be along soon who can maybe be more helpful.
    Nice to meet you and the very best of luck to you.
    May
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Jackie
    And welcome to the forum, I went to the gym for over 20 years, and now with arthur, I am very limited really till I have my THR, but I do exercise, but if it get to painful then I stop....really I do little and often....you check with your consultant, and see what they say.
    Has for the pain asked could you be refereed to a pain clinic, I hope you get some help very soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Jackie

I have Ra so I can not really advise you, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.
    All that I would probably say is exerciise little and often with rests inbetween (if Possible)

:idea: Would the elastic tube bandage help, (once in a while)

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Beatrix

I do live by the motto use it or lose it. OA does affect you in that once you rest, it takes time to get going again.

You do have to rest too. I am wondering what strength of cocos you have been prescribed and if you are taking them on a regular basis or just when the pain is bad.

Like Julie says, a tubrigrip(s) the may help. I have been told that it does have to be long enough to stretch half way down your calf and half way up your thigh, not just on the knee area. I did find it helped with knee problem before the ops. Horrible to wear though! :roll:

Heat used to help my knees after activity. I used a wheatbag that you heat up in the microwave - easy to wrap around the knee(s).

I cycle locally so that is exercise and takes the load of knees. I do stretching exercises every day too. Well I do both these things but not at the mo as I am 4 weeks post op from a spine op (neck end) so would not be that advisable :roll: :wink: .

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • LolaCrayola
    LolaCrayola Member Posts: 152
    Options
    I do my physio every day as often as I can. I used to be extremely fit but had to stop. I am now looking at fitness channel, they do relaxation and chairobics! It seems that eveything has a price and if you overdo it you feel it next day, or for the next few days. I think we all need to keep moving in the ways we can.
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for sharing your experiences.

I am finally in less pain during the day, has gone from severe to moderate but night-time is still bad.

May, thank you, I'm hoping that once I get a diagnoses then hopefully my gp will arrange for me to see a physio so that I know which strengthening exercises to do for my knee's.

barbara, thank you, I will ask about a local pain clinic.

Julie, I could ask about the elastic bandage when I see my gp, thanks for the idea.

Elna, I'm on 8/500 Co-Codamol and was taking them alternatively with iobrufen but thought I'd just take 2 Co-Codamol tablets every 6 hours and that will give me the chance to see if they are helping by taking them regular.

LolaCrayola, you are so right, I really did over do it with the walking on wednesday, I actually lost 2lb but the pain near the end of the journey was terrible and for a couple of days afterwards so I won't be pushing myself like that again. Will try a little and often.

One thing I've noticed is that while walking around the house I'm finding having a good posture takes a little pressure off my knees, just have to remember not to trip up over something while looking straight ahead :smile:

Jackie x
    Japanese Proverb
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Beatrix
    My knees are oK ...for now :lol: I've had a THR and waiting for another one {possibly} Also have oA in my spine, one ankle and neck.
    I find if I walk too far I suffer or if I sit too long i suffer....just have to try and hit a happy medium...Although as my husband would say.....DONT she might hit you back :lol:
    We all find that we have pay back days.....when we have done too much be it housework or something nice and we suffer the next day.
    So it depends what your doing and whether it is worth being sore the next day :grin:
    Its true {was it elna said} use it or lose it.....you do have to keep moving {on your feet :lol: } I have a scooter which i need to use for our large shopping center......but some people sit on it all the time....I tend to park it outside a shop go in and walk round each shop.
    Check with your GP about a pain clinic or getting your tablets changed if you dont think they are working.
    Heat.....wouldnt be without my wheat bags.
    Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • Beatrix
    Options
    Hi Hileena, thank you :smile: I really must look up on the internet about wheat bags as they sound great. Right now my fabric hot water bottle is a great comfort for my knees. My Dad also uses that saying 'use it or lose' it, its so true.

Yesterday I took 8 Co-Codamol 8/500 and left the iobrufen out completly and my knees today have been the best they have been for a while so I'm just enjoying a good day. Trying to just have 6 Co-Codamol today to see how I go. Still trying to be active around the house but not over do things. :smile:

Jackie x
    Japanese Proverb
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    Beatrix wrote:
    Hi Hileena, thank you :smile: I really must look up on the internet about wheat bags as they sound great. Right now my fabric hot water bottle is a great comfort for my knees. My Dad also uses that saying 'use it or lose' it, its so true.

Yesterday I took 8 Co-Codamol 8/500 and left the iobrufen out completly and my knees today have been the best they have been for a while so I'm just enjoying a good day. Trying to just have 6 Co-Codamol today to see how I go. Still trying to be active around the house but not over do things. :smile:

Jackie x

the ibuprophen take swelling out so they do help with keeping joints moveing co cods just pain meds enjoy your good day but try not to over do it val
    val