Blue feet

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 30. Oct 2011, 10:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening all,

Firstly, would like to apologise for my silence. University work is keeping me very busy and I'm just exhausted. I have been reading, of course, and thinking of everyone here.

I've noticed that my feet have been changing colour. They are always very cold which is strange because the rest of my body is a furnace. They go white and then turn an odd shade of purpley-blue. When I attempt to warm them up, it's really quite painful.

I have a slight dilemma because I'm forced to wear summer shoes which expose my feet to the cold. I had an operation in July and subsequently have nerve damage which makes shoes an even bigger nightmare than before. I'm going shopping tomorrow to see if I can find boots that are suitable because I can't wear these shoes (ballet pumps with a strap over them) in winter.

Any tips on how I can be as kind to my feet as possible? I see rheumy consultant on Monday and think I might mention it because they were going blue even in the summer when it wasn't this cold.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ask if they can refer you to the orthotics dept,dont know if it will help but its worth a try.Mig
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thanks, mig. I do have orthotics but my feet have changed since this operation and unfortunately, the arthritis has progressed. My rheumy was waiting for my ankle to heal post-op and said she'd refer me to a podiatrist. Trouble is, I need shoes now rather than later but that's slightly off topic!
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi,
    I always have cold feet but they don't turn blue.I have to wear wide fitting shoes and buy them with velcro fastening.M***&S****
    Not frumpy and nice and comfy for me anyway.
    Might be worth a look.
    May
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hey starburst, it sounds like raynauds disease in your feet. I have this and you need to keep your feet warm as possible at all times. I would mention this to your rheumy when you see him. You can get meds to help, but you need to keep warm as well.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Starbust

I have just read your posting and thought of Raynauds like Suzy. Please mention it to your rheumy.

You can google Raynauds if you wish to find out more.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Starburst,
    I agree that you must point this out to the rheumy on Monday. I wear those hug slippers in winter, with socks. They don’t give any support but while in the house they do keep my feet warm, best to have a constant warmth than have to use hotwater bottles as I tend to get chilblains if I do that.

Lv, I x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sophie,

Its not nice flower and don't they hurt as they warm back up.... I have real problems with blue and deep purple feet....

I think Mig's suggestion is a good one and also agree with Suzy about the raynaud's... mind that normally makes them go white so I am wondering if you have the acrocyanosis... i have both those.

I think it might be worth getting a bit of help via tablets for the circulation and i also have a hideous drip that is so good it takes my deep purple and swollen feet to relatively normal in 2 days....

it might be worth asking about just a bit of help. Summer shoes in winter isn't a good on but can you get some of those very thick thermal sock under them? I also use the boil up gel heat pads over the blood vessels i the ankles... its a problem flower but they might be able to help you.

Hope uni i going ok and except for the feet your doing ok? Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My immediate thought too was Raynauds (but I am not a doc). Please tell someone about this and soon. Keep your feet as warm as you can - I now have visions of you with three pairs of thermal socks on your tooties but the rest of you is clad in a bikini! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thanks for the replies you fab people. I was wondering if it was Raynaud's given that I have some kind of autoimmune arthritis. They still can't decide if it's PsA or RA.

Apart from my blue feet, I'm doing relatively well. I've only had one mouth ulcer since changing to injected MTX, although I'm still having some issues with the needles. I managed to squirt half of last week's dose all over me! Uni is exhausting (even though I'm only in 2 days) and the work is very tough but I'm so glad I'm there. I love it.

DD, the thought of me in a bikini is really rather frightening!

I hit the shops and managed to get a couple of pairs of nice looking, supportive fur-lined boots. I needed a 2 hr nap afterwards but it was worth it and I didn't break the bank either. ;)

Goodbye my lovely UGGs. We were friends for years but arthur is sending you into retirement. You'll go to a good home, I promise. (My mum's wardrobe.)
  • dotty123
    dotty123 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    I don't have RA , I have got OA and my toes go blue and purple , but when i mentioned at the hospital he didn't say anything, like I hadn't said anything, so annoying when you can't discuss all. Feels like you are wasting their time >:(

Hopefully you have got a doctor that listens to you xx
  • silverbirch
    silverbirch Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi all, I have RA and my feet are blackish, I only noticed it a few days ago.

I have no idea why they have changed colour other than I do have arther in my right instep.

Shoes are a nightmare I mainly use sandles but need to find some winter shoes soon. I do own a pair of Huggs but being only 5 ft I tend to feel like donald duck in them, :grin: plus I can't drive in them so I am limited when to use them.