Meaning of 'normal age related changes' ? Please help.

Options
LolaCrayola
LolaCrayola Member Posts: 152
edited 4. Nov 2011, 06:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
What is this medical speak for? My orthopaedic man says on his report my x-ray only shows 'normal age-related changes', my radiology report says, 'There are changes of cervical spondylosis maximal at the C6-C7 disc space and around the mid posterior apophyseal joints. Prominent transverse processes of C7 are noted'.

Answers on a post-card. Are the two reports saying different things? :?:

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi can not help would ask gp to find out why they say different things val
    val
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi,
    I've read this 3 times and as far as I can see the xray shows changes and ortho has agreed there are changes but they are age related.
    I would have a word with your GP though because I'm no expert on this.

Why none of these people can give you an answer in plain non medical english is always beyond me.
    May
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    People who have a professional language use that language - and why wouldn't they? They know what they mean and what they are talking about. I have never been copied into letters for this reason - I don't speak doctor, although my 'medic' has been coming on. My best guess would be that 'normal age related changes' means just that - what is happening to you could be due to your age. I reckon that both are saying the same thing but from different perspectives. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Mmmmm...

l agree with the others....sounds like almost a contradiction, but has to do with the way THEY are looking at it.

Things is age related changes can have different impacts on different people...

Maybe you should see one of them for a chat and ask for more detail??

Love

Toni xx
  • LolaCrayola
    Options
    Thanks for all replies so far. I am 41. No one else is in the agony I have. I only have copies for OH. The ortho did say an x ray does not show how much something hurts.
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    edited 28. Oct 2011, 16:47
    Options
    Bearing in mind your age and pain symptoms I would definitely go back to your GP and ask precisely what is being said here. Have they done hormonal blood tests and if they are saying it is OA ("wear and tear" arthritis) to please explain what is meant by "age related" when you are relatively young - and if OA how they propose treating it?

Have you seen a rheumatologist yet and if so what was the outcome and have they tested you for other forms of arthritis including the auto immune ones. If you haven't seen one yet you should definitely ask to be referred. From what I know OA presents differently on x-ray than RA and PA and they should explain because RA wouldn't necessarily show up on X-rays unless it is already quite advanced? I 'm sure a lot of us here have experienced a degree of agony similar to yours, and many who younger than 41, but I understand you mean people of your acquaintance and I know it's very frustrating and lonely probably for you only getting medical speak to go by so far. Mat
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • LolaCrayola
    Options
    Really phrased that badly. I do not have a monopoly on pain. I meant my immediate peers, sorry for that. My g.p said the changes were moderate and I was really unlucky.
  • Mat48
    Options
    No I understood what you meant of course it was just the way it came out! But really I don't think your GP is being quite thorough enough if you are in a lot of pain? Have they tested you for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) yet and has he/she referred you to a rheumatologist anyway if you are experiencing a lot of pain? If not why not - please push harder because 'bad luck' sounds like a cop out to me! Mat :smile:
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi, I have cervical spondylosis and it causes me terrible pain. The muscles spasm, the neck is stiff, it restricts movememnt of my neck and shoulder. I have numb fingers and sometimes feet from it. I am 39. Now I did injure my neck as a child and I did have a car accident a few years ago which I reckon have not helped.

However, the neck is now developing scoliosis as well, as it further degenerates. I understand your pain. The report seems to say you have cervical spondylosis. Some people have changes and no pain, some a lot of pain. Docs don't fully understand and x rays don't tell the full story.

You know what you are suffering, your gp will help you to the best of his ability. You can ask for physio for exer4cises, a pain clinic for pain management.

Keep trying!!
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Age I don't know A neighbour once told me that he was told by his doctor the problem with his leg was down to his age.His brilliant reply was "What about the other one ?That's the same age and it's fine" I sometimes think age trips off the tongue too easily :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Mat48
    Options
    I agree hate the way age always gets mentioned as if to say "it's just OA - live with it!"? I mean in this day and age with life expectancy so much greater they should start holding their tongues when they dismiss or refer to things as "age related". If you are still young - which even I think I am at age of 48 (my parents both died suddenly aged 73 and after both people wrote condolences to me saying "still far too young to die"?) it can be really upsetting to hear this said of you. And if you're old (over 70 let's say) you still have a right to aspire to a pain free life even if this isn't wholly practicable!

I thought spondylosis was a condition they could diagnose through blood tests? I'm sure had it done as part of recent investigations - it took 3 weeks to come back negative. Mat x
  • LolaCrayola
    Options
    I asked my own doctor about this today. He said that is the other doctor's interpretation of the x ray. He did not agree and neither did the radiologist, or it would have been on the report from x ray that the changes were normal. He said the changes were greater than normal for a person my age.
    He said, 'You have Cervical Spondylosis', can't get clearer than that.
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I am glad you got an answer and at least you know now..x
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    HI, I hate those words 'age related changes' another is 'wear and tear'. Sounds like you have a good doctor, though. I think the consultants and hospital use these phrases because they really don't know the reason you have them and they can send you off without explaining to you. Sorry for the rant, you may guess I've had these words said to me!

I hope you get some good pain killers and your doctor decides to give you physio or something. Love Sue xxxx